• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB-E/APEX 4 Experience -DEC 2013

Ben Welch

Took the test last week Thursday and just wanted to give what gouge I can and add to what has already been said. A bit about my background, I am a merchant marine engineer and a LTJG in the Navy Reserves. Although I am an engineer, all my professional experience in the past 3 years since grad has been hands-on operational with MSC cargo ships. I do have about 60 hours of flight time as well in a small plane. I ponied this format off of caburt1 from a previous post.

I started my prep about a week prior but nothing too extensive maybe an hour a night if that. I bought an SAT math book and the Military Flight Aptitude Tests book 8th edition by Perterson’s from Barnes and Noble. I used the SAT book for extra practice questions in the appropriate categories. I suggest doing this as it will keep you flexible with the math section. The other sections (reading comprehension, mechanical comprehension, Naut. and Air comprehension) I referred to the Flight Aptitude Book for practice, during the test the questions turned out to be close to the same as to what were in the book.

THE TEST

Math

This section was a worry for me, as I think it is for most people who take it. I am in operations so I don’t necessarily use math on a regular basis despite being an engineer and when I do I use a calculator heavily, so relearning hand math was a bit more of a challenge then I thought.

As far as questions I got probability, rate problems, simplification of algebraic functions, a few complex order of operation problems, and simple trig problems (circumference of a circle with a radius of whole numbers) . No Logs or matrixes on my test, although I did study them and simple problems involving them I would say are fair game, like quotient rule for logs.

The rate problems I got were like, if an airplane burns X gal/hr, in Y min, then how many gal will be burned in Z min. These are simple but pay attention to units as most of the time I had an answer that I could get if I forget to convert hours to min.

The section I felt wasn’t too bad if you us the books to study. Within a no more than 3 computations you can have the right answer to all of the problems. I cannot stress enough to not worry about the time in this portion. Do your best on each question, once you answer it forget about it and do not dwell on if you got it right or not as you cannot go back and review it. Be efficient but not fast if that makes any sense. The test is adaptive, look in previous post for that explanation, and I even think that once you answer enough right it ends the test. The reason being is that I got thru maybe 14 to 16 questions, hard to tell because it doesn’t give you a count, and roughly 22 min left on my counter before it ended the test and told me to prepare for the net section. I actually thought that I failed the section so badly that the computer was like “we are done here.” Kinda caught me off guard.

Reading Comprehension
This section of the test was just like in the book, read the paragraph and choose the statement that most represents the meaning of the passage. Most felt like they were from Navy regulation manuals referencing NAVPERS and BUPERS instructions but I did get a few passages that were directly from the practice question in the book. I would say I got more difficult questions then easy ones during the test. Again there was no question counter so it is hard to tell how many exactly but I felt like I did over 20. There is a timer but if you don’t have a question counter so I’m not sure what the point of it is.

Mechanical Comprehension
The gouge on the website here is excellent. Basic physics, a few basic electrical (like what does a resister look like on an electrical drawing) and pulleys are what I can remember but I did have other types. I do remember one pulley problem because I said “what the f*** is this” too myself, it was a weight with line attached in three places suspended but two pulleys that had lines suspended by two more pulleys, looked really complex but just using the rules of pulleys dividing force I was able to simplify it down to two pulleys doing any actual work when you pulled the rope. As for that nothing really too notable in this section from my POV. Again timer but no question numbers from what I can remember.

Aviation and Nautical Information Test
I didn’t get any naval or aviation history, or any lat long questions. This section was easy for me as my civilian job is working on ships and I also fly as a hobby. But for anyone who doesn’t get onboard boats much, a glossing over a nautical dictionary or even watching a few navy ship movies would help, shoot me a message if someone really needs help on nautical stuff maybe I’ll make up a navy quick glance guide. The aviation questions I got were also basic; any student pilot should ace this. If you have neither the book will give you a good start.

Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory
There really isn’t anything to add to this section that hasn’t already been said. There are 99 questions, but they go fast. It does say to answer even if both selections do not at all describe you. Sometimes they are both negative, sometimes they are both positive, and sometimes they are a mix.

Performance Based Measures Battery
“UAV” test (Spatial Apperception Test (SAT) replacement)

The “UAV” portion was in lieu of the Spatial Apperception Test (SAT). You are asked to put on the head set as it will ask you the same question both visually and auditory. You are given a topographic type map cut out on the screen, although the location or what the map represents doesn’t matter. On the map you are shown a red dot with a yellow arrow shown direction of travel of level flight. These directions are only in the cardinal directions and basic sub-directions, so N NE E SE S SW W NW. You are then shown next to the map a picture of a field hospital tent with four parking lots each in a cardinal direction, so North South East West, in what I can best describe as Super Nintendo style graphic. Depending on your approach to the target as given to you by the arrow on the topo map determines what parking lot is “the NORTH parking lot” or “the EAST parking lot.” You click the parking lot you think is right and it immediately tells you if you are correct or incorrect and the time it took you to answer. Yes this is a timed event; both reaction time and accuracy are graded I am assuming. Fear not though, there is a practice portion you can do as many times as you want, I think I did it about 30 times before I started. My reaction times when from 5 to 6 seconds down to 1 to 2 seconds once I got the hang of it.

Joy Stick Portion

This I found to be challenging as it involves accuracy and multitasking. The joystick I used that I think is standard is the Saitek X52. The buttons used are the trigger on the stick group and the one of two blue buttons on the throttle group. During the “emergency procedures” you use the two wheels around the both buttons on the throttle group, ill explain more in that section.

You start off with the throttle group. In a ¾ inch with bar with a black background and neon green borders on the left side of the screen it has a light brown basic silhouette of an airplane as viewed from the rear, so tail wings and a whole in the middle for and engine, almost looks like it would be an F-16. The figure goes up and down, differing speeds of course from easy to hard shifting direction at random. There is a basic cross arrow, plus sign with a circle, that you control up and down with the throttle. Your job is to keep it on the airplane as much as you can. Next you are given the stick group. The same airplane figure dances around a roughly 8x8 inch blank area. Again your job is to take the cross arrow and track the target. One thing I found was the joystick is inverted, to push it forward/ away goes down, and pulling back goes up on the screen. That is intuitive if they made it feel more like a flight sim, but it is just an icon on a black background surrounded by a green border, I felt like a mouse or the option for a non-inverted joystick would have been better. Each evolution last about 60 seconds with a short non-repeatable practice part in the beginning.

You do each tracking evolution separately then combine them doing both at the same time. They add a twist though; in the headset they play a series of letters and numbers at the same time, a different letter or number in each ear at the same time. So you may hear the letter “A” in you left ear and the number “5” in the right ear. They then tell you to only listen to a specified ear, left or right switching it in the middle of the tracking test. In all the scenarios they tell you to ignore the letters, but if you hear an even number in the click the trigger, and if you hear an odd number click a specified button on the throttle group. The one saving grace of this part is that the rate of letters and numbers thrown at you is about 2 seconds per letter/number and always at the same time. So it isn’t a jumbled mass, it is with some order. It does sound complicated but it is manageable. Someone who has already taken the test might try and make up a MP3 file simulating this.

I found that I was able to follow the auditory portion well and was fairly accurate with it despite clicking the wrong button when I heard an even number a few times, few being 4, 5 or 6 times overall. But trying to track the little airplane I found nearly impossible. As soon as I had the cross arrows anywhere near the figure, the plane would dart to the other side of the screen. I had my cross arrows on the target maybe 5% of the time, and that is a high estimate. I thought for sure I was going to get a poor score in this section because of that.

“Emergency Procedures” Section

You are given a chance to review three scenarios before the test. Engine Fire, Engine Failure, and a 3rd I cannot remember. You are told how to correct for each of the scenarios using the two rotating wheels surrounding the buttons on the throttle group. One is your mixture and one is your fuel flow I think. Scenario 1 “engine fire”- Mixture to min, Fuel to min. Scenario 2 “Engine failure”- Mixture to full, fuel to full. Scenario 3- Mixture to full, Fuel to middle. You are doing the tracking of the two airplanes in between and during the emergencies and it will ask you all three at different times. Take too long and the screen gradually fades to red, your dead.

So finally, if you lasted this long thru my spiel, are my final thoughts. Overall it was a challenging test but not overly hard. The time issues from the last version of the ASTB has been eased, the biggest advice I can give on that is work efficiently but don’t feel like you have to hurry or rush to get a section done because you think you are running out of time. Do not skip or guess if you can help it as you cannot go back and review questions and I think it is based more on if you get a certain number right anyway. Goes without saying but read the other post about the new ASTB as they helped me out a lot on what to expect. The books are still a good tool on what to expect for the OAR portion. Hope this wasn’t too long I tried to be as detailed as I could so you could build a good mental picture on what to expect. If any sections need further explanation or clarification shoot me a message or post. Oh, and my score all in all was a 65, 8, 8, 8. Also sorry that this is so long, I just saw it takes up a whole page.

Last edited:

JBanks

Good stuff Ben, appreciate the run down. I'm finding all of these extremely useful. Seems like every write up has one more thing for me to sort of look at before my test.

nuls2835

I just took the OAR yesterday and would like to add what I can to the already invaluable discussion that is taking place on this thread. I found out I would take the test about a week ahead of time, and all in all I only got about 1-2 hours of total study time in. My background includes a meteorology degree, heavy in calculus, physics, etc.. I took the AFOQT about 4 months ago and did pretty well, so some of what I studied was in my mind.
Ben Welch did a fantastic job of breaking the test down, so thank you for that because it did help me out to a degree. I can add that in the Math section, different Forms of the test have some different wrinkles to them, based on what I had gouged prior to the test and what I actually saw. The algebra was difficult, which included at least one question that required factoring out a long equation to find 2 values of 'x': if (x+1)(x-1) = 0, then x = 1 & -1. You get the picture. This takes much longer than 30 seconds to do, especially if one of the coefficients of 'x' is larger than 1, which mine was. Adding to the frustration is that you cannot go back on a question. Prepare yourself for this. I also had a matrix multiplication problem, which I somehow pulled out of the deepest part of my digestive cavity and got right. The biggest thing that got me was that I thought I had 30 or so questions, and 40 or so minutes to answer them. All I know is either I felt like the test ended abruptly, and I know that I did not spend an awful amount of time on the test. My advice to anyone taking this test is to ALWAYS keep your mouse on the timer, until you answer a question, then place it back over the clock. This will help keep you from losing track of the time.
Refer to Ben Welch’s post above regarding the Reading Comprehension test. Not much to add, what you see if what you get.
Mechanical Comprehension was also pretty straight forward, although I was disappointed that I did not get too many simple machine/mechanical advantage problems. The gouges available here are sufficient to get you a decent score.
All in all, I was a little disappointed in myself in that I feel like I left some scores out there. Albeit I did not study I cannot complain too much, and what’s done is done. I hope this helps some of you out, and feel free to ask me more questions, they could remind me of some more information I forgot to add here. I was able to gain a lot from this site and am glad I can give back to it in whatever way I can, however small it may be. Good luck to you all.
-Ryan

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The algebra was difficult, which included at least one question that required factoring out a long equation to find 2 values of 'x': if (x+1)(x-1) = 0, then x = 1 & -1. You get the picture. This takes much longer than 30 seconds to do, especially if one of the coefficients of 'x' is larger than 1, which mine was.
Because you don't have time to solve the problem on questions like these, one strategy is to plug in the possible answers to find the answer vice factoring.

schemme3

I took the OAR test today... but was not able to finish it due to APEX having an error on the computer and the server where APEX is located(Pensacola, FL) had no one there because the base was closed due to the cold weather. I finished the Math section and was only half way through the reading section. I finish the rest of the test this Friday (1/31/2014). My experience on the Math test was dreadful. I am going for Civil Engineering so I do have a background of math but I am not that great at algebra. I actually did not finish the math test because I used all my time. I had approximately 15-20 questions when my time expired. I would say to people that are planning on taking this test to make sure that time is a factor, and I know others say it isn't too important but make sure to look at the time. I would say don't spend over 3 minutes on a question like I did. I actually had some log questions, probability, conversion problems (you go 45 mph for 10 min, then go 55 mph for 30 min, and then go 70 mph for 20 min. how far did you travel) another one was f(x)=3; f(x)=(x^2-8x+2)/(x+4) what does X equal. I feel that I did horrible on the math. The reading section that I have done so far was based heavily on the military, so just a heads up on that. I will post my score on Friday... I feel that I will most likely have to retake this test again due to the math.

shinegf

Regards the test, I have been study on an off for two month with emphasize on last three weeks prior to the test period. The study material from this forum is extremely helpful, include study guide from previous testers, Peterson"s Master in Flight aptitude, Arco"s military flight aptitude, Barron"s study guide, ASTB gauge, nelnetsolutions website. My understanding for the study guide from previous tester is sufficient to get people started, and all the military study guide can be used as problems practice sections. To better understand the variety of the concept, I recommend people to go to nelnetsolutions websites to take the practice test, not only for the ASTB section but also for asvab and AFOQT practice test. Also, google ASTB flash card will help study as well even thought there are some mistakes on some of the problems. I also bought the study guide from amazon by Accepted Inc, and my comment for that is this book has some clear mistakes but in general it can be used for problem practicing. Finally I will recommend people to go back review the college algebra(integrated algebra) as well as college physics(conceptual, non calculus involved). I personally read all chapters in the Math books as well as most chapters in the physics books except relativity and light.

As most people are already aware, the new ASTB is adaptive on Math and English Sections. No definite number problems for math and I think there is an finite problems for English and Mechanical Section of the test since I got advanced before time is up if I remember correctly.

The math sections are harder than the study guides, my part includes probability(not just single selection from drawing but include problems with the concept of selections with replacement and without replacement, also the application use of binomial probability principle N!/(N-r)!), complex log and exponential questions which are exactly the same question Notorious Nate has, perfect numbers, problems such as given a polynomial equation indicate the results of it is an even integer and ask whether another factor form of equations consist of the variable are even or odd, complex word problems include multiple steps calculations(usually one of two steps more calculation required than the study guide problem and it's phrase are confusing), trigonometry problems such as giving a radius that embrace a hexagon and ask for the hexagon area. I did over 20 questions and believe close to 25 question using the whole 40 min of time.

The English section is definitely college level reading. I did this section relatively poorly as several easy questions appears after I got the previous question wrong. It's military, history, science, politics involved mostly and I believe there are about 20 questions total as somehow I managed to finished before the clock(I constantly look at the timer). I am a non native speaker but I think I have relatively decent reading and comprehension skills. For this section I can only recommend to study the SAT and GRE if you really want to be good at it.

Mechanical section is relatively easy, but it does includes some intermediate problems such as spring attached to pulley(ask for force direction with the presence of spring or without, ask for displacement change), elastic energy for the string, gas pressures and thermal conductivity, angular velocity and angular momentum, as well as some fundamental concepts for electricity, projectile motion, leverage, mechanical advantage, and fluid dynamics on my test. It is definitely less than 30 questions total as I finished before the time is up. This part I study the most and I would recommend to study the physics book thoroughly as the study guide mostly just reveals the results without telling the physics concept behind it.

exNavyOffRec

I took the OAR test today... but was not able to finish it due to APEX having an error on the computer and the server where APEX is located(Pensacola, FL) had no one there because the base was closed due to the cold weather. I finished the Math section and was only half way through the reading section. I finish the rest of the test this Friday (1/31/2014). My experience on the Math test was dreadful. I am going for Civil Engineering so I do have a background of math but I am not that great at algebra. I actually did not finish the math test because I used all my time. I had approximately 15-20 questions when my time expired. I would say to people that are planning on taking this test to make sure that time is a factor, and I know others say it isn't too important but make sure to look at the time. I would say don't spend over 3 minutes on a question like I did. I actually had some log questions, probability, conversion problems (you go 45 mph for 10 min, then go 55 mph for 30 min, and then go 70 mph for 20 min. how far did you travel) another one was f(x)=3; f(x)=(x^2-8x+2)/(x+4) what does X equal. I feel that I did horrible on the math. The reading section that I have done so far was based heavily on the military, so just a heads up on that. I will post my score on Friday... I feel that I will most likely have to retake this test again due to the math.

Civil Engineers DO NOT have to take the OAR

jmcquate

Contributor
Wow. quite a change from when I took whatever test was at the OSO office 20 years ago. From what I remember, the math was not that hard. and the spacial part was a drawing of an F-104 in different attitudes. I aced it.............the OSO and Gunny thought it was a big deal. I thought, this is all you got?..........then I went to Camp Usher, and was given an education in what they had.

Good luck to all of you.

mareid2

pilot
Finally took the test today... I have always had a relatively easy time with math so I limited my studying to what was on a couple study guides and the test took full advantage of that--I went in expecting to do at least decent on that and struggle with mechanical if anything. I had 5 or 6 probability questions which I didn't spend much time on because I thought there would only be 1 or 2 and that hurt me. The questions that really got me were the averages because they add a little twist. I had no problems with the questions I saw on practice guides like the basketball points, but there was a question like:

Susie was in a class that used a weighted grading system. Each test was worth 20%, her homework was worth 10% and final was worth 30%. She scored ## and ## on the first two tests, ## on the homework and ## points less than her third test on the final. She wound up with a ## in the class. What was her third test score?

Another was about runners. Each runner finished couple seconds faster than the previous and the last runner was some amount faster than the first.

These are not a super difficult question if you practice similar ones or you can use time to figure it out, but I wasn't expecting anything like that and I spent way too much time on them. I wound up not even finishing the math section (not sure how many I answered). I wish that with maybe 10-15 sec left I just started clicking answers like filling in the bubbles on the scantron exams. If you do, pick a letter (B or C usually best) and select all the answers with that because you have a much better chance getting at least a couple. I'm not sure if it will shut you off early with the adaptive strategy or not but I didn't even get to try it.

The reading is definitely more difficult than what I have experienced on standardized tests before. Like everyone else mentioned, the material is dry and the sentences just all run together after you've read a few of them. Lots of ORM and civilian based passages mixed with stars and galaxies. I let the math section get to my head and was frustrated going into the reading section. Don't do that and it won't be anything too tough to handle.

I felt like mechanical was surprisingly the easiest section for me. Study guides have a lot of good info for that.

Aviation and Nautical information had a lot of info that I didn't study before. Something about moving around the ship during "General Quarters", needing to dump AVGAS to lose weight (know how much it weighs) and more. I thought there would be more on parts of aircraft and ships. Its such a broad topic that I don't know really how to prepare for it but taking in as much random info as you can.

As everyone else said about the UAV section, use the practice attempts to get the hang of it--helps immensely. The rest (PBM), just have fun. Its hard. I'm not sure what exactly you might do to practice it but if you can find some kind of exercise that requires different motions with each hand to get it so they don't want to do the exact same motion, it might help--drummers would probably do well. I found myself trying to go up to chase the vertical target and naturally doing the same with my right hand chasing the 2d target so it just sat at the bottom because its inverted or vice versa.

Little background: I'm a Business Management major graduated almost 2 years ago and I haven't taken a real math/science class since 2005. No flying hours but I did take private pilot ground school a few years back. I scored a 50 7/7/7 and I was hoping to do better on the OAR but now I know what to expect should I have to take it again. I'm active duty AF currently looking at IST so I am still trying to figure that whole process out. Thanks for the link above @NavyOffRec

Hopefully this can help at least someone. If anyone has any more specific questions feel free to shoot me a message. Good luck to anyone still having to take it!

exNavyOffRec

I was told by the CEC ascensions recruiter that I do indeed need to take it because I would be going to OCS

They never have, I had one CEC guy take it when I first started and was told "why did you do that" never had a CEC applicant take it again.