• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Weather Woes

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I think by the time V comes out, we'll only be allowed to use FWB as long as we have a CAC card and request our brief 9 hours before the flight (and it will expire 5 minutes after launch time).

Don't worry NMCI is going to develop a weather program accessible through NKO which will be the new standard... What could go wrong?!?

KBayDog

The only game on is the Giants and Falcons... What else am I going to do right now?

Were you expecting a Rams/Colts matchup? The good thing about today is that there is no chance that my Jets will lose.

In any event, I'm glad I'm not at McChord* right now...but I'd love to go a whole weekend without thinking about the one-two punch that is NMCI/NKO.

Edit: Glad I'm not at Ft. Lewis. (Whatever. I'm all about consolidation, but do they all need to be "Joint?" Does being stationed there, say, as the active-duty concierge at the BOQ (or VAQ/VOQ/BYOBQ/whatever the USAF calls 'em this week) count as "Joint" time?)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The -1 is an antiquated format which I think made a lot more sense before ADDS, IGRADS, and all the other tools we have at our disposal. That said, since I have to get one for now I've found that I can streamline that process by doing it all on the phone. I call in my brief request and have them email it to my personal email instead of the fax. Since I'm often out at the jet before they're done with the wx brief, I do all my own weather checks, then whenever the email comes in I open the pdf on my phone and verify that everything on it jives with what I saw before. I'm legal, and I'm not waiting around a fax machine for a brief that may not come. Plus I don't have to use FWB online, which is as accessible on Air Force bases as it is in FBOs.

If you have a system that works for you, that's great, so I'm not knocking your specific system, but... The way you describe it is a waste of everyone's time and effort. If you're not actually using the weather brief that's "faxed" (or whatever), then why bother getting it? Which leads me to the next point that I mentioned before... A -1 isn't actually required, only a valid weather brief. What's valid is limited (and getting smaller), but it's an important distinction that could save someone time.

At least most AFBs have a forecaster available to give you a -1, usually in about 10 minutes.

Concur, and the one time I used them at Tinker, it was fairly quick, although it was a Sunday, so I think they were moving slower than normal. I know gotta_fly isn't always at Tinker, though.

gotta_fly

pilot
Our local SOP requires a -1 so I don't really have a choice there. As far as it being a waste of time and resources, I agree with you completely.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The number of really useful military wx briefs I've received are few and far between. (it doesnt help that the official briefers are over several hundred miles from my actual locations most times) I have gotten much more useful info pulling up observations, radar, etc on my phone or the internet.

KBayDog

Our local SOP requires a -1 so I don't really have a choice there.

You're not authorized to use any of the other "alternate" wx sources to meet the weather briefing requirements? I know your community is a little different (i.e., you're not FBO-hopping like many of us bottom-feeders), but that seems like a pretty rough constraint.

Aside from the normal FWB red-ass, has needing a -1 each and every time had any negative impacts on your mission? (I'll freely admit that I have no idea what you guys do on a daily basis, how you do business, etc.)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The number of really useful military wx briefs I've received are few and far between. (it doesnt help that the official briefers are over several hundred miles from my actual locations most times) I have gotten much more useful info pulling up observations, radar, etc on my phone or the internet.

You're missing the point. Those other things aren't certified, therefore they must be wrong. Certification is FAR more important than accuracy, timeliness, or ease of use.

We use it because it's certified, and it's certified because that's what we use.

Get with the program, safety violator.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I'll work on that as soon as I remember to do 2+ years of ASAP reports, (or however long we've been "required" to use yet another "useful" program).

The ASAPs have been quite useful for me, personally. It gives me something to read while I'm in the stall (Our VT hangs them in the stalls and over the urinals for good reading).

Sometimes, I actually learn something.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
ASAP is great - if you have buy-in. It largely replaces anymouse on the pilot side and has been a great way to track lots of "huh" things - like 4 instances of very similar engine troubles in a month - that get investigated rather than relegated to random banter between aircrews. Can't speak for the VT side, but there is a good bit of buy-in from most new IPs and almost all studs in the HTs, and hopefully this will translate into better response rates in the fleet.

Due to the nature of TACAIR, I doubt it will ever catch on there, but elsewhere I bet that it continues to work as advertised.