• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Zero Tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
LoL? His "character" is someone who decided to say "fuck the rules, I can do whatever I want," and put a career in jeopardy to boot.

mike172

GO NAVY
I recognize what you are saying. I dunno yea It was stupid, but I know him well enough to know that this stupid mistake does not translate to "I am going to ram my ship into those rocks over there."

I am going to relay the message(s) though. Gracias as always gentlemen.

phrogpilot73

I pretty much said the same stuff... The only thing is I know him personally, so yea if I were gonna be a pilot I would trust him. I know his character.
So his character is strong enough to avoid using illicit drugs, even when he knows the consequences? Sorry, I just don't buy into his "character".

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
A friend of mine in a different ROTC decided it would be a good idea to smoke marijuana over the summer. keep in mind he has already done his secret clearance ...
I pretty much said the same stuff... The only thing is I know him personally, so yea if I were gonna be a pilot I would trust him. I know his character.
You are still talking about the same friend, right? He knows the rules, he knows the standards, and he knows the consequences.

I'm pretty sure he won't say anything and I'm pretty sure nothing will happen. However, the judgment and character he has shown thus far is disappointing and substandard to say the least.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
so we are clear, I don't want to serve with a druggie who doesn't respect the rules when it doesn't suit him. I'm sure I speak for many others on this.

mike172

GO NAVY
so we are clear, I don't want to serve with a druggie who doesn't respect the rules when it doesn't suit him. I'm sure I speak for many others on this.

Understood. BTW hoover when I was clicking on my name before it would go to your profile.

joshmf

... A friend of mine in a different ROTC decided it would be a good idea to smoke marijuana over the summer. keep in mind he has already done his secret clearance and what not last year when he was clean. Now he is regretting it...

If he has already had his Secret clearance adjudicated, and been read into the program, he not only violated the legal constraints of his clearance when he used drugs, but he's continuing to violate them by not saying anything. He's not only choosing to violate the trust given to him, but he's opening himself up to criminal prosecution later on if it comes out in the future.

Drug waiver's are for people who used drugs prior to being accepted into the military, not for people who have been sworn in and have CHOSEN to ignore the special trust and confidence placed in them. He needs to man up and accept the consequences of his actions, whatever they may be, or he's lost any credibility and integrity he has.

Bottom line, he won't be the first 'great guy' to get kicked out of the military for drug use (I've known a few myself,) but he does need to be honest with his command. He might be kicked out, he might not, or he may be but will get accepted into OCS five years from now, but I can't trust and don't want to work with someone who has 'scammed by' or gotten away with something like this.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Here's the million dollar question though. What's it say about you if you know he's violated the zero tolerance policy but you don't do anything about it? It's never a good idea to be the senior man with a secret.

mike172

GO NAVY
Here's the million dollar question though. What's it say about you if you know he's violated the zero tolerance policy but you don't do anything about it? It's never a good idea to be the senior man with a secret.

Are you implying I should take steps to turn him in?

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Here is what you have to understand. By accepting a commission, you are not only swearing to abide by the rules, but also to enforce them. Hence the reason officers are held to higher standards. In a few years when your friend is an O-2 and he is in a position to decide what action needs to be taken on a junior enlisted joe who pissed hot, he must be able to look that Sailor in the eyes and tell him that what he did was inexcusable. But, chances are he wouldn't - he would try to help the guy out or show sympathy. When an officer gets over, it affects more than just one person. Its that ripple effect that the zero-tolerance policy is in place to combat.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Bringing you into this was a jackass thing for your friend to do. But now you have to deal with it and unfortunately I think OH-58 is right - you now have some degree of responsibility. I'll be honest, I'd have a hard time turning a friend of mine in for something (fortunately, I don't think any of my friends are that dumb). I'd recommend you tell him he needs to turn himself in and that if he doesn't you have a moral obligation to. It sucks, but you need to start thinking about what's best for the Navy, YOUR Navy. As A4s said, it's about standards...and officers need to hold each other to them, even when it's difficult.

BigRed389

None

Well, what do you do when you find out your buddy's been mishandling weapons custody records, maintenance logs, or banging some E-5 every weekend?

When bikerboy says you don't want to be the senior man with a secret, it means right now it's YOUR problem, YOUR responsibility.

Lawman

None

If he wanted absolution and confidence he should have talked to a priest. By draging you into this he makes you an accessory after the fact, no different than if you sat there in the room with him while he did it. He made a choice now its time to live with it. From where I sit the only thing he has left to do is decide whether he can man up and admit his mistake with what honor comes from being able to do that (think facing your firing squad without crying) or he can decide he can take the cowards way out and let you do it for him.

Friendship and Duty exist in their own spheres.

slayyer2003

i kind of wanted to share this with other lurkers thinking about asking a dumb question, but the thread was closed, so i let it go. Since you opened a new one, i'll copy here what i pmed to a certain newbie asking when he'd be tested so he could experiment beforehand (or whatever his true intentions were). Hopefully some take this to heart....or not. It's only the interweb, after all...
bogey... You are great with that lt. Schumeketelli...hahaha that's good.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Mike 172, I don't know your friend so I can't judge his character. I can tell you he made a royal Fck up. If you believe that his character and his career is worth you risking yours by all means do what you need to do. However, know that there is a possibility it could bite you in the ass.

I learned a valuable lesson in NROTC. I defended a good friend of mine and served as a character witness on his PRB, but boy I looked like total dogshit as a leader when he pissed it away the second time around.

Mike 172 has rightfully been read the riot act when it comes to integrity, standards, and morals; but is this really any different than the large numbers of aviatiors and SNAs that check the boxes with all the right answers on their medical screenings. Or is it just that one practice is socially acceptable and one is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.