• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Yardstick is the greatest pilot of all time...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I’m a NFO with more pilot hours and experience than probably 95% of the NAs on this board...

There is plenty a NFO can contribute to this thread...college grades, Canadian bashing, etc.

Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing a plane that makes it easier to go to The Show. It’s a very good reason if you want to serve and fly but already know you’re not staying in for 20.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I’m a NFO with more pilot hours and experience than probably 95% of the NAs on this board...

There is plenty a NFO can contribute to this thread...college grades, Canadian bashing, etc.

Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing a plane that makes it easier to go to The Show. It’s a very good reason if you want to serve and fly but already know you’re not staying in for 20.
Easier than what? Helos? Sure. I haven’t heard of any FW aviators bemoaning their lack of marketability to airlines.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In this hiring climate you’re probably right. When hiring isn’t as robust, then large, multi engine, multipiloted and similar to what airlines fly has an advantage.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I guess. I see lots of “fighter” guys getting hired right at the minimums. Flight school, 5-600 fighter/attack, then enough T-45 to get to 1500 hours. If anything it will only get easier in the near future, further negating the supposed advantage of spending your fleet tour in Oklahoma or flying in circles

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I actually considered E-6s at selection but we were told ahead of time it wasn’t available my week.

I looked at it like this; a lot of flying, stable deployment schedule, per diem, easy work. Sure it’s not ‘Navy’ in the traditional sense, but it’s a great deal for those who can get it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I guess. I see lots of “fighter” guys getting hired right at the minimums. Flight school, 5-600 fighter/attack, then enough T-45 to get to 1500 hours. If anything it will only get easier in the near future, further negating the supposed advantage of spending your fleet tour in Oklahoma or flying in circles
Unless there is another 9/11 type event, the economy takes a dump, Congress/FAA raises the retirement age again, etc.

I agree it looks good right now but it looked good in July 2001 when I got hired at Hawaiian too.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Why is it I have no fucking clue what is going on with this thread?
"F" for my reading/skimming comprehension, I suppose.
F? No, an F minus!! Can't you read?

:p

Nah, it started in another thread in which a primary student's wife asked which platforms have the best family life. And it's only gotten better, like a fine wine caught in a temporal vortex.

Last edited:

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

Some of us weren’t able to fly pointy stuff because of anthro issues. When I selected my choices were helos, P-3s, or E-6s. E-6s were the least shitty option at the time. I think In hindsight P-3s would have been cooler from a deployment standpoint, and I had no desire to fly helos (I’m 6’5, so F-that) but E-6s are an insanely good deal. Most TACAMO JOs will bitch about it because it can be very unpredictable, and you are on the road a lot, but I would never call what we did a “deployment,” especially at a table full of HSM/HSC bubbas on the CVN.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Same, I wanted tailhook but anthrod to P-3s. I actually put helos first but changed last minute to maritime. Regardless, I’ve done some cool shit and really enjoyed the times I did get to fly helos. Either way, I fly a B737 now and have many doors open to me.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Same, I wanted tailhook but anthrod to P-3s. I actually put helos first but changed last minute to maritime. Regardless, I’ve done some cool shit and really enjoyed the times I did get to fly helos. Either way, I fly a B737 now and have many doors open to me.

It's bullshit you guys don't actually get the 73 type rating automatically in the P-8. And I know you guys have some fairly easy (yet not free) options to get it. How does that pass any sane persons sniff test? Do the tacamo guys get a 707 type?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
It's bullshit you guys don't actually get the 73 type rating automatically in the P-8. And I know you guys have some fairly easy (yet not free) options to get it. How does that pass any sane persons sniff test? Do the tacamo guys get a 707 type?

Yes. 707/720 is what my airman cert says. The 720 is the airframe the -135 is based on.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
The Navy specifically engineered so that the 73 type rating isnt given due to pilot retention. Newsflash - airlines aren't stupid and they know what a P-8 is. I have plenty of friends who have had no trouble getting airline jobs without the rating - doesn't really seem to matter.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My understanding is that the sum wasn’t blessed by the FAA because the Navy would not submit it. But what is to stop a pilot taking his NATOPS check to a FSDO and asking for a milcomp 737 type?

Pilots can also petition the FAA to recognize the P-8 for the type. It doesn’t have to be the Navy or Boeing.