• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WWII history and tactics

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Pretty cool film on WW2-era manned ISR aircraft:
The excellent nature of WWII training is evident in things like this. In early 1944 it was decided that 17 VCS and Battleship Observation (VO) pilots (who fly Kingfishers and Seagulls) aboard the cruisers Quincy (CA 71) Tuscaloosa (CA 37) and Augusta (CA 31) and the battleships Nevada (BB 36) Arkansas (BB 33) and Texas (BB 35) were checked out in RAF Spitfire Mk Vb’s. The squadron, VOS-7 flew over 200 missions and netted a good number of DFCs.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Great article from The Economist reflecting on the 75th anniversary of D-Day. (Originally published in 2010)

Bill Millin
Bill Millin, piper at the D-Day landings, died on August 17th (2010), aged 88

https://www.economist.com/obituary/2010/08/26/bill-millin

The War Office in London now forbade pipers to play in battle, but Mr Millin and Lord Lovat, as Scots, plotted rebellion. In this “greatest invasion in history”, Lovat wanted pipes to lead the way.

The first tune piped was Hielan Laddie.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great article from The Economist reflecting on the 75th anniversary of D-Day. (Originally published in 2010)

Bill Millin

The War Office in London now forbade pipers to play in battle, but Mr Millin and Lord Lovat, as Scots, plotted rebellion. In this “greatest invasion in history”, Lovat wanted pipes to lead the way.

Mentioned by President Reagan in his speech in 1984 . . . where have speeches like this gone?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Bill Millin

View attachment 22201

Well played pipes can tear at your heart and soul. My kids played lacrosse. One player's older brother played battle tunes at the end of half time just before the players took the field. First time he was over a hill out of sight. No one expected it. He got so many positive comments he continued to play at half time.but stood on top of the hill, a lone piper. It was unique to see that sort of thing in a youth sport.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Caught this on the drive home tonight - some alternative history. At Samar St, the Japanese Center Force meets not Taffy 3 but the old battleships of 7th Fleet. The Yamato was built to shred the US “standard” class of battleships with its 3200 lb, 18.1” shells - but some standards are more standard than others. While the Mississippi, Tennessee, Pennsylvania and California mounted older 14” rifles with 1500 lb shells, the West Virginia and Maryland are mounting 16” rifles throwing 2200 lb shells with accurate radar ranging. Throw in 25+ Fletchers and 100’s of Long Lances, it would have been quite the melee.

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Saw this in Foreign Policy today: an in-depth game based on Operation Barbarossa.

War in the East 2, from publisher Matrix Games, is as titanic as the conflict it depicts. (Full disclosure: I was an unpaid alpha tester of the game for a few months.) Across a digital map divided into a grid of 45,000 hexagons, German and Soviet players control more than 6,000 divisions, brigades, and aircraft squadrons. War in the East 2—an expanded upgrade of the original 2010 edition—even has a 520-page manual, bound in hardcover like a college textbook.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Saw this in Foreign Policy today: an in-depth game based on Operation Barbarossa.

War in the East 2, from publisher Matrix Games, is as titanic as the conflict it depicts. (Full disclosure: I was an unpaid alpha tester of the game for a few months.) Across a digital map divided into a grid of 45,000 hexagons, German and Soviet players control more than 6,000 divisions, brigades, and aircraft squadrons. War in the East 2—an expanded upgrade of the original 2010 edition—even has a 520-page manual, bound in hardcover like a college textbook.

It's like someone saw "The Campaign for North Africa" and said "I can beat that in scope and complexity."

Is it any fun? I find that games like that just end up as things that are fun for lawyers and statisticians but aren't actually fun for the average gamer. Some old friends of mine and I were recently playing Axis and Allis online. For a bunch of folks who only have 30min a day to dedicate to a game it was a fun time.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
If it takes me three years to learn a game, I'm just going to bin it and play a quick game of age of empires.
meh... freeciv2.js FTW

I like to use my stealth bombers to attack the Mayan phalanxes and grenadiers while our scientists are researching Future Technology #3.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
It's like someone saw "The Campaign for North Africa" and said "I can beat that in scope and complexity."

Is it any fun? I find that games like that just end up as things that are fun for lawyers and statisticians but aren't actually fun for the average gamer. Some old friends of mine and I were recently playing Axis and Allis online. For a bunch of folks who only have 30min a day to dedicate to a game it was a fun time.

It wasn’t so much the game (I have less than minimal time to play extended games) but the fact that every simulation they ran, the Soviets won. I recently received a book by James Ellman that detailed a possible German strategy which I hope to read:

Hitler's Great Gamble: A New Look at German Strategy, Operation Barbarossa, and the Axis Defeat in World War II

As for games, I will simply stick to these 2 CD-ROM classics:

RIsk II - no more hiding out in Australia!

Beware the Gorn shooting plasma!

Pags

N/A
pilot
It wasn’t so much the game (I have less than minimal time to play extended games) but the fact that every simulation they ran, the Soviets won. I recently received a book by James Ellman that detailed a possible German strategy which I hope to read:

Hitler's Great Gamble: A New Look at German Strategy, Operation Barbarossa, and the Axis Defeat in World War II

View attachment 31497

As for games, I will simply stick to these 2 CD-ROM classics:

View attachment 31495

RIsk II - no more hiding out in Australia!

View attachment 31496

Beware the Gorn shooting plasma!
Interesting...in playing A&A Online the Soviet Union is the hardest country to play. All you can do is hang on and hope the rest of the allies keep Germany and Japan busy enough so you don't just get steamrolled.