• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WWII history and tactics

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
very cool!...I didnt remember these until i started watching,---saw the starting logo-- then it kicked it. this is a great series, I am wondering why the AHC has never shown this series??

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
As the Battle of Coral Sea was happening right now back in 1942, this article came out discussing some possible different outcomes.

Alternative endings to the first aircraft carrier battle

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/alternative-endings-to-the-first-aircraft-carrier-battle

1525619223315.png
Battle of the Coral Sea, May 1942. A "mushroom cloud" rises after a heavy explosion on board USS Lexington (CV-2), 8 May 1942. This is probably the "great explosion" from the detonation of torpedo warheads stowed in the starboard side of the hangar, aft, that followed an explosion amidships at 1727 hrs. Note USS Yorktown (CV-5) on the horizon in the left center, and destroyer USS Hammann (DD-412) at the extreme left.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
As the Battle of Coral Sea was happening right now back in 1942, this article came out discussing some possible different outcomes.

Alternative endings to the first aircraft carrier battle

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/alternative-endings-to-the-first-aircraft-carrier-battle

View attachment 18908
Battle of the Coral Sea, May 1942. A "mushroom cloud" rises after a heavy explosion on board USS Lexington (CV-2), 8 May 1942. This is probably the "great explosion" from the detonation of torpedo warheads stowed in the starboard side of the hangar, aft, that followed an explosion amidships at 1727 hrs. Note USS Yorktown (CV-5) on the horizon in the left center, and destroyer USS Hammann (DD-412) at the extreme left.

good article...I agree with his possible outcomes. the pivoting factor is who finds who first!...as always.

jmcquate

Contributor
For 95% of the folks who would go to a museum that would be unreasonable. They really need to move it off base or to somewhere the public can access easily like the Naval Aviation Museum.
They have picked a location in DC for a new museum. Heard it from a Navy History type at Oceana at the show. She wouldn't tell me where.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Anacostia Park across from the Yard. She is mistaken, however, as the deal is not done. It involves a complicated land swap and then a multi-year fund raising effort. If the Navy is lucky it will have a true National Museum in about 10 to 15 years.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
10 to 15........the Navy needs to get it"s shit together. The Army got its turn lane built. and it's traffic lights turned on already.
Sure, Liberty Drive is a beautiful thing...but it took 25 years to get there!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
True...........That new traffic light along with the other 3 lights will make getting to 95 from J Kingman Rd just that more of a shit show.
Only a madman really wants to get to that part of 95.