• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WWII history and tactics

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Eh, everyone had plans but then reality intruded. Even the US, with the most resources of anyone in the war by far, had to cry uncle when it came to the Montana-class. And some weren't even practical, like the later Japanese and German designs where the guns would have exceeded the contemporary targeting capability. A huge shell isn't much good if it can't hit the target or is fired only once every minute or two.

Well, if you have 12 main guns that can fire once a minute, that averages out to 1 Volkswagon going downrange every 5 seconds.

I would be remiss if I did not include the Maximum Battleship design (biggest design that would fit into the Panama Canal) the Navy explored courtesy of my home state Senator Tillman back in 1917 (he unfortunately inflicted also us with Clemson University but that is another story...). 975 feet length, 108 foot beam, 80,000 tons, 15 (5x3) 18" rifles

Tillman.jpg

jmcquate

Contributor
Well, if you have 12 main guns that can fire once a minute, that averages out to 1 Volkswagon going downrange every 5 seconds.

I would be remiss if I did not include the Maximum Battleship design (biggest design that would fit into the Panama Canal) the Navy explored courtesy of my home state Senator Tillman back in 1917 (he unfortunately inflicted also us with Clemson University but that is another story...). 975 feet length, 108 foot beam, 80,000 tons, 15 (5x3) 18" rifles

Tillman.jpg
Probably would have been sunk at Pearl:cool:

Renegade One

None
Late to the thread…apologize is this has been asked and answered, but I'd heard (long ago) that the 3 MIDWAY class CVBs were build on MONTANA hull plans. Anyone know truth?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Late to the thread…apologize is this has been asked and answered, but I'd heard (long ago) that the 3 MIDWAY class CVBs were build on MONTANA hull plans. Anyone know truth?

Good question - I found the following....

The hull design of the Midway class is derived from the cancelled 1940s Montana class BB, itself intended to replace the Iowa class BBs. The intent was to produce a heavily armoured attack carrier capable of surviving many more hits than the then primary design, the Essex class. The result was in 1945 an unusually large and well hardened carrier, which also contributed to the service longevity of this class.

While the Midway class was not large enough to embark the air wing size of the later Kittyhawk, Enterprise and Nimitz class supercarriers, it was often argued to be the most survivable USN carrier class, due to its armour providing some measure of protection against Soviet supersonic ASCMs.

As a question relevant to WWII stuff, I am looking for a print that has both an F-4U Corsair and an Iowa class battleship in it - the only one I can find so far is "Victory Flyover" by Robert Taylor. Anybody seen any others with both?

343_large_image.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Good question - I found the following....

The hull design of the Midway class is derived from the cancelled 1940s Montana class BB, itself intended to replace the Iowa class BBs. The intent was to produce a heavily armoured attack carrier capable of surviving many more hits than the then primary design, the Essex class. The result was in 1945 an unusually large and well hardened carrier, which also contributed to the service longevity of this class.

While the Midway class was not large enough to embark the air wing size of the later Kittyhawk, Enterprise and Nimitz class supercarriers, it was often argued to be the most survivable USN carrier class, due to its armour providing some measure of protection against Soviet supersonic ASCMs.

As a question relevant to WWII stuff, I am looking for a print that has both an F-4U Corsair and an Iowa class battleship in it - the only one I can find so far is "Victory Flyover" by Robert Taylor. Anybody seen any others with both?

343_large_image.jpg
I'm of no help with the print right now but I was going to call BS on the accuracy of the print above because the aircraft are carrying tail codes and I thought the change from geometric symbols to tail codes was a post war thing. But some quick googling led me to find that tail codes were adopted in JUL45.

jmcquate

Contributor
Wasn't the Missouri still in measure 22 camo during the surrender? If so the decks should be sea blue.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Wasn't the Missouri still in measure 22 camo during the surrender? If so the decks should be sea blue.
She was in Measure 21 by Tokyo Bay . image.jpeg
However, under MS21 horizontal surfaces were still painted Deck Grey. And this color pic of the surrender, provided it's an actual contemporary color photo, shows deck grey on the decks. So looks like you're correct about the deck color being inaccurate.
image.jpeg

Pags

N/A
pilot
related to all the BB discussion in this thread: if you happen to find yourself near NSWC Dahlgren it might be worth a stop. I was there today for a meeting and they have piles of 16in guns (and other ordnance) laying around in piles rusting. This is in addition to the 16in gun that's been restored as a display piece. I didn't get much of a chance to explore but so I'll have to find the time to go back.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The place is empty on the weekend. Check the Navy Yard webpage. The hours are cut back and civilian entry is more restricted because of the shootings.

The last time I went you had to have a parking pass even if you were visiting, I don't know if that included the museum but I took the risk to park without a pass and got away with it for something important and the museum doesn't rise to that level.

I'd say take the metro, but safetrak.

When I interned at the museum years ago I wouldn't have even thought to suggest that option but things have improved so much even with safetrak it is still a viable option. Maybe a weekend in the fall when the weather cools a bit.