• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WTT: G1 Jacket Size 42 for 44/46

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
If he said it was his own he was selling, I'd say show me proof you earned your wings.

I don't give a crap if he was the real deal or not: I wasn't buying him, I was buying the jacket.

It obviously was actually an issue item at one time (as opposed to a civilian-made knockoff) and that's the only criteria I had as a college kid who wanted a real military flight jacket.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
Our g-suit still allowed access to the shroud cutter pocket - Maglight was better to preflight w/ than the L-shaped flashlight that weighed a ton and drained D-cell batteries in no time flat.

My folks bought me a nice flight jacket w/ the reddish orange collar and a Bureau of Aeronautics label for me Christmas of 1979 while I was a senior in H.S. Bought it at a flea market in Norfolk, VA for $50 back then. It was a size 42 and still fits okay, but the sleeves are ridiculously short. I still wear it every now and then.

I got stuck getting issued the ugly brown naugahide jacket when I was going through Pensacola in 1984 during a period when the quality control on the jackets was pretty low. It never did break in nicely. Took me almost 25 years before I finally made it back down there and the nice lady in Supply who probably issued my first one swapped out for a nicer, larger one w/ supple leather. Interesting, the USN is punched in top to bottom on the flap of the new one, rather than sideways on the wind flap. Not sure why they changed that...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Our g-suit still allowed access to the shroud cutter pocket ...
Roger that ... but since nothing that we had would 'fit' into the pocket ... we carried our slide-rules there ...

I almost castrated myself in the cockpit when I tried to do a simple mathematical problem ... :eek:

HackerF15E

None
Many thanks to the folks who have replied to my request via PM. I appreciate the assistance!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our g-suit still allowed access to the shroud cutter pocket - Maglight was better to preflight w/ than the L-shaped flashlight that weighed a ton and drained D-cell batteries in no time flat.

Helo guys were only folks I regurally encountered who used the shroud cutter pocket on their flightsuits. We had them secured chest level in our torso harnesses. In fact, back in the day, it was great sport to rip the pocket off nugget's flightsuits. One day, Mongo, a rather large helo pilot entered our Ready Room and one of our nuggets who had been through the rite of passage went for the kill and was rewarded with a resounding clank as a shroud cutter fell to the floor after being liberated from its prison.

As to the L shaped flashlight, I served with it up to last DIFOPS tour at which time I acquired a maglites. It not only was it heavy and clunky, it only lit area scant inches from the lens, which I suppose worked for preflights, but maglites or gooseneck flashlights seem much more practible.

My folks bought me a nice flight jacket w/ the reddish orange collar and a Bureau of Aeronautics label for me Christmas of 1979 while I was a senior in H.S. Bought it at a flea market in Norfolk, VA for $50 back then. It was a size 42 and still fits okay, but the sleeves are ridiculously short. I still wear it every now and then.

I got stuck getting issued the ugly brown naugahide jacket when I was going through Pensacola in 1984 during a period when the quality control on the jackets was pretty low. It never did break in nicely. Took me almost 25 years before I finally made it back down there and the nice lady in Supply who probably issued my first one swapped out for a nicer, larger one w/ supple leather. Interesting, the USN is punched in top to bottom on the flap of the new one, rather than sideways on the wind flap. Not sure why they changed that...

There was a time when respondents to the RFP could substitute material that appeared like goatskin instead of the real deal so there are a great number of jackets out there that fall into so-called Naugahyde. So let the buyer or trader beware....best see the product firsthand.

HackerF15E

None
There was a time when respondents to the RFP could substitute material that appeared like goatskin instead of the real deal so there are a great number of jackets out there that fall into so-called Naugahyde. So let the buyer or trader beware....best see the product firsthand.

Is that the late '70s when that happened?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that the late '70s when that happened?

Yep, just before the cancellation of the G-1 when DLA audit revealed that far more were being given out that justified by aviation accessions (ie supply system had no controls so anyone in Navy supply system could order them by NSN and they did... To wear or barter with...). SECNAV Lehman later restored to the G-1 and the Brown Shoe. A few years later, USAF revived the A-2 (interestingly, first articles were goatskin) as part of 40th anniversary of creation of USAF.

HackerF15E

None
Well, dudes, thanks to someone here on the board I acquired what I was looking for...so now the jacket in question is going on eBay.

Thanks for the assistance.