• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Worst duty stations

snort

Banned
CUNSC said:
Meridian, MS... The only thing that this town has going for it is it's proximity to bigger and better towns. Granted you don't mind driving a couple of hours.

Lemoore, CA... Meridian with a couple of palm trees.
She's funny, and she's got it right.

EDIT: We didn't like Japan, my wife hated it.

sarnav

4 pages and no mentions of Bahrain. This place is horrible, probably not worse than Pohang, but it has to be up there. 130 degrees in the summer, over-priced everything, the cola keeps going down, the list goes on.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
sarnav said:
4 pages and no mentions of Bahrain. This place is horrible, probably not worse than Pohang, but it has to be up there. 130 degrees in the summer, over-priced everything, the cola keeps going down, the list goes on.

I have not experienced Bahrain the duty station, but I have experienced Bahrain: the port call. Man, what a dump, worst of all, the cab drivers constantly try to rip you off.

Bahrain rivals Pusan, S. Korea for worst port...ever.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Thisguy said:
I have not experienced Bahrain the duty station, but I have experienced Bahrain: the port call. Man, what a dump, worst of all, the cab drivers constantly try to rip you off.

Bahrain rivals Pusan, S. Korea for worst port...ever.

You are smoking crack!

Bahrain rocked. Great persian rug deals, cheap gold, shwarmas, Havanas restaraunt and cigar bar and tons of other great places to eat, modern shopping malls. Okay the weather sucked but you could say that about almost any place.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
RockyMtnNFO said:
You are smoking crack!

Bahrain rocked. Great persian rug deals, cheap gold, shwarmas, Havanas restaraunt and cigar bar and tons of other great places to eat, modern shopping malls. Okay the weather sucked but you could say that about almost any place.

Uh...no. Bahrain licked donkey dick. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

It sounds like you're describing Dubai???

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Uh...no. Bahrain licked donkey dick. It's all a matter of personal opinion.

It sounds like you're describing Dubai???

I guess it's different with a P-3C crew. We had a blast wherever we went; Bahrain, Masirah, Diego Garcia, it didn't matter much, we found great stuff to do. Masirah was a little difficult but we managed. I guess since we were either flying or goofing off, we had it pretty great.

It sounds like China Lake sucks to.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Thanks for rubbing it in.

My apologies. It was not my intent. I'll trade you working recruiting duty, under a CO with a different designator than flight, any day.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Brett327 said:
Didn't you guys have a bit of an earthquake yesterday in Ridgecrest?

Brett

Sure did. I was sittin' around watching Home Improvement on TBS when I heard a noise and things shook a bit. I looked out my window, shrugged my shoulders and didn't think anything else of it. I think it was a 4.0.

RockyMtnNFO said:
My apologies. It was not my intent. I'll trade you working recruiting duty, under a CO with a different designator than flight, any day.

No worries, I was just kidding around. Everyday that passes here, I'm a day closer to leaving. That's how I look at it.

nublett

Been there, done that.
Omaha, Nebraska...gotcha all beat! Offutt AFB has joint commands there. Usually the AFBs are great, this one sucked, and Omaha... do I even need to elaborate?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Boys, Girls, Children ... please .... the winner ---hands down --- is:

Shemya Island :eek:... a.k.a. Shemya AFB, a.k.a. Eareckson Air Station. I spent 5 very long days there with a sick 747 waiting for parts after an emergency divert.

There is no comparable "worst duty station" ... :) ... they just don't exist.

shemya-map.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Boys, Girls, Children ... please .... the winner ---hands down --- is:

Shemya Island :eek:... a.k.a. Shemya AFB, a.k.a. Eareckson Air Station. I spent 5 very long days there with a sick 747 waiting for parts after an emergency divert.

There is no comparable "worst duty station" ... :) ... they just don't exist.
We used to land there a lot when Adak was a deployment site. If the weather sucked in Adak, we'd hit Shemya for extra gas as we were coming off station so it wouldn't be one pass and off to Elmendorf (although that was a good deal for the crews, the CO didn't like it).

The foxes would beat the linemen to the ladder after landing. They'd be lined up begging for food before the props even stopped turning.

I had to overnight there a few times. A4s is right - worst place ever to RON.

T

TXHusker05

A4's.... is that it? Just a runway? Where is the rest of it :eek: Wow, that is an automatic winner for worst duty station and I think we could probably rank it on worst places to be.... anywhere. Good call on the map.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's obviously facilities for "residents". Keep in mind that's a 10,000 foot runway. USAF used to det Cobra Ball crews out there as well.