• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

World's 14 Best Aviation Museums

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, Pensacola should be on the list. The other US entries are worthy, except the Palm Springs Air Museum. Duxford in the UK is awesome, especially on a flying weekend. Doesn't take hardly any imagination to see yourself in 1940. The summer airshow weekend is the best.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Pima Air Museum in Tucson is OK, it became famous as the final resting place of R1's old VT-86 T-39D NFO trainer (which also displays his full 'barf bags'!:eek:
VT-86-1.jpg
However, Pima is not in the same class as NNAM P'Cola IMHO.:rolleyes:

For me, the best aviation museum in Tucson is the AMARG "boneyard" itself, at Davis Monthan AFB. Spent a whole day wandering that huge aerocadaver parking lot. Flight Log in hand, I got to say thanks to dozens of different Scooter models that had toted may sorry butt safely, over thousands of hours/miles all over the globe. Could easily have spent a week there.;)
BzB

Last edited:

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't think it would be worthy of original list, but another "museum" worth checking out is the Fantasy of Flight Museum in Orlando, FL. There are over 20 aircraft and they fly one every day. They also have a great aviation military history exhibit.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I like the Museum of Flight in Seattle. I've always wanted to see Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, too.

jmcquate

Contributor
It's a shame that most of the Eastern Bloc museums have their aircraft outside slowly rotting away. I've been to the USAF museum at Wright Pat many times.......you need a couple of days to take it all in. NASM is great because of the historically significant aircraft and spacecraft in the collection, but the historical flow is inconsistent because of the two locations. I agree that Pensacola was an over site as well as some good USAF museums like the one at Dover AFB.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I don't think it would be worthy of original list, but another "museum" worth checking out is the Fantasy of Flight Museum in Orlando, FL. There are over 20 aircraft and they fly one every day. They also have a great aviation military history exhibit.
+1. Got to see a P-38 taking off out of there, one of the coolest things I ever saw.

red_ryder

None
Ah, a little Prowler love in the Smithsonian pic. Cnx that, A-6. Pensacola should at least be in the top 20. I remember the SAC Museum in Nebraska being really cool as a kid. I wonder if it still is.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I like the Museum of Flight in Seattle. I've always wanted to see Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, too.

Flying Heritage is worth the visit, especially on one of their fly days. Nothing like seeing a few beautifully restored warbirds dogfighting.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
I've been to the USAF museum at Wright Pat many times.......you need a couple of days to take it all in.

Yeah, I grew up in Ohio so I've been there a bunch of times, too. It took me a couple of visits just to make it to all of the hangers. The presidential hanger is worth the visit even though you have to take a little shuttle over there. Seeing an XB-70 Valkyrie in person was pretty impressive.

jmcquate

Contributor
Yeah, I grew up in Ohio so I've been there a bunch of times, too. It took me a couple of visits just to make it to all of the hangers. The presidential hanger is worth the visit even though you have to take a little shuttle over there. Seeing an XB-70 Valkyrie in person was pretty impressive.
I grew up in Cleveland. My dad would have business in Dayton and I would tag along. He would drop me off there when it opened in the morning and pick me up when it closed.

Go Bearcats................I was was an undergrad there from 83' until I was kicked out in 86'.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Yup, Pensacola should be on the list. The other US entries are worthy, except the Palm Springs Air Museum. Duxford in the UK is awesome, especially on a flying weekend. Doesn't take hardly any imagination to see yourself in 1940. The summer airshow weekend is the best.

Probably one of my favorite museums ever. Lots of flying, also has a lot of cool ground pounder stuff in one of the hangars.

jmcquate

Contributor
Probably worthy of another interesting post, eh?:eek:
BzB
Nothing spectacular...........just the toxic mix of youth, booze, women and the unlimited freedom of a large university. I stopped going to class. I got into a small liberal arts school in central Ohio and graduated in 88'. My grades at UC were fine.......it was the whole showing up thing that tripped me up. Remember kiddies........99% of success in life is simply showing up.