• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Workout Routine

Hey guys,
This fall I'm going to be a College Programmer at ERAU. Obviously I'm looking to make an impression during my Freshman year. I am trying to prepare myself for the physical aspect of it, and I have searched the web and forums for a workout routine that may be beneficial, but haven't had much luck. I came across the Navy PRT website, but have read it's not very efficient.

So, my question is does anybody have any advice about an appropriate and beneficial workout routine, mix of workout routines, or weekly routine? I'd like to focus on mainly the areas that will be targeted the most from NROTC. Currently I go to the gym every day, run at least 3 days a week, and I also take a cardio class (ironically enough called boot camp.. pretty effective, but I know it's not real boot camp) twice a week along with an X-biking class on Saturdays to build endurance and stamina.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You're going to find that there are literally dozens of different fitness programs out there, and they all work.

The first step is to figure out fitness goals. Are you looking for athletic performance? Lose weight? Get buff? Workout routines work best when you tailor them to fit a specific goal. I know you said that you want to keep up with NROTC, but there's a lot of ways to skin a cat with that one.

If you post the answer to the above question, people will be able to help you out a bit better. If you're looking for general military-type fitness, Google 'Stew Smith.'

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Hey guys,
This fall I'm going to be a College Programmer at ERAU. Obviously I'm looking to make an impression during my Freshman year. I am trying to prepare myself for the physical aspect of it, and I have searched the web and forums for a workout routine that may be beneficial, but haven't had much luck. I came across the Navy PRT website, but have read it's not very efficient.

So, my question is does anybody have any advice about an appropriate and beneficial workout routine, mix of workout routines, or weekly routine? I'd like to focus on mainly the areas that will be targeted the most from NROTC. Currently I go to the gym every day, run at least 3 days a week, and I also take a cardio class (ironically enough called boot camp.. pretty effective, but I know it's not real boot camp) twice a week along with an X-biking class on Saturdays to build endurance and stamina.

As a person who was a college programmer for ERAU I will give you a few words of advice.

You will be pt'ing with the battallion, a lot.
You are going to know what they want right away. So don't sweat it.
If you want an edge tho, do sprints on the days that you don't do PT. (tuesday, thursday)
Leave the weekends for recuperation

All advice aside tho
If you want to succeed in the battalion as far as PT is concerned. BUY A GREAT ALARM CLOCK!
I have myself in fact gotten a consoling chit because my alarm clock failed to wake my ass up. It happens to a lot of people, don't let it happen to you!

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Currently I go to the gym every day, run at least 3 days a week, and I also take a cardio class (ironically enough called boot camp.. pretty effective, but I know it's not real boot camp) twice a week along with an X-biking class on Saturdays to build endurance and stamina.

Sounds like your doing ok already. Add core to your routine, if you haven't already. That, along with endurance and stamina (which your already doing), are probably the two main focus of any military fitness (boot camp, OCS, etc), IMO.

Thanks for the responses, guys! I guess I'm most nervous about the initial PRT. I'm sure I shouldn't be, but you know how it is. When do you take it anyway? In the very beginning or at the end of the first week?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Thanks for the responses, guys! I guess I'm most nervous about the initial PRT. I'm sure I shouldn't be, but you know how it is. When do you take it anyway? In the very beginning or at the end of the first week?

You'll be taking an "inventory" PRT sometime during Indoc training.

Do not worry, as this PRT is designed to show you where your weaknesses are (if there are any) and to help establish what group you should be with when battalion PT kicks off.

Don't sweat it too much now, the best you can do is just run, sit ups, and push ups if you really want to prepare for it. If not, just worry about it when it happens.

the first PRT that "counts" will be toward the middle of the semester, and if you manage to fail that one, you'll have plenty of "extra" training so that you'll be squared away for the second one.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you workout as regularly as you claim, the Navy PRT should be the last of your worries. 55 situps, 50 pushups, and a sub 13:00 run are not difficult to accomplish for someone who is remotely in shape.

KLT

yeah Crossfit is crazy, but my bf was is immaculate physical shape,
his most recent PRT was ( 102 Pushups, 119 crunches and 9:30 mile run)
and he started crossfit at his command, and he still got his ass KICKED.

After two days, I couldn't sit on a toilet. (without just collapsing on it)
TMI--i know; )

I think everyone should give it a shot... just to feel the real pain.

jtmedli

pilot
yeah Crossfit is crazy, but my bf was is immaculate physical shape,
his most recent PRT was ( 102 Pushups, 119 crunches and 9:30 mile run)
and he started crossfit at his command, and he still got his ass KICKED.

After two days, I couldn't sit on a toilet. (without just collapsing on it)
TMI--i know; )

I think everyone should give it a shot... just to feel the real pain.

Yeah I started it this week...and got my ass kicked!!! haha

It's the hardest most intense workout routine I've ever tried. I'm in pretty good shape (15 pullups, 100 crunches, 22min 3mile) and it lit me up. I puked on the first workout. Definitely going to keep doing it and keep taking my whippings!!

exhelodrvr

pilot
Hey guys,

Don't take consecutive days off from your aerobic workouts.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
try crossfit
Yup, definately the most high intensity workout I've ever done, but worth it for sure. Maybe a little cult like, but that's only because it works so well. Last time we figured we had each moved over 21,000 pounds of weight in a 30 minute period.....and we are at the newbee level workouts.