• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wicked SuperBug video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Haskin

Found the link to this Boeing video on USEnet, so sorry if it's already been talked about before.

http://pma265.navair.navy.mil/stores/media/video/lb3117.mpg

Great video! Matt, do all Hornets fly the final turn at 120 KCAS?!

JasonG

Awesome video. First time I have seen such maneuvers with the Super Hornet, it really seems to bust out with some great moves (reminds me of the SU-37). Really is a great clip; thanks for the link Randy.

May I be blessed with wearing those wings and flying that darn thing !

Jason

Randy Haskin

Just to provide a "fair balance", I thought I'd also provide a link to a video of the F-15E flight demo. Ya gotta love a -229 Strike Eagle with no CFTs or LANTIRN pods...

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/f15/f-15k/video/lb3123.mpg

Beware! 80MB video!

JasonG

Im at school on a Oc3 line so I welcome the vids Randy. Please post more links to aircraft or whatever is cool :)

flyin canuck

Randy, those are some nice videos. The F-15E was very impressive. I counted 7 seconds from brake release to lift-off. UNREAL!!!

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Aahh... I once again remember why I LOVE the
Super Hornet. If only I could wake up to this picture every morning, I'd probably have a smile on my face more often. :) It's great sitting here in my Senior English class watching this AWESOME VIDEO while other people are working. :) Ugh, my blood is flowing again.

Thanks for the Superbug vid Randy!! I'll have to download the Eagle one next week!

Gabe2surf

It seems like all the F-14 units that are getting replaced by SuperHornets are moving to Lemoore. Is that their permanent new base or is it just to get trained on E/F models and then go back to Oceana. It sounds like their staying permanently at Lemoore. Anybody know for sure? Are they going to eventually move all the E/F's and F-14's to Lemoore?

Gabe2surf

It would make sense to take the Super Hornets back to Oceana wouldn't it? After all the F-14's will be leaving, the Superbugs are replacing them, so it seems natural to think that the new Hornets should go to Oceana. Does that make too much sense or am I missing a part of the puzzle?

Paul Burke

No matter where they decide to put them people will complain about the noise. Whidbey Island had to stop flying at a certain time each night because of the noise from bouncing birds. The loudest in the Navy's inventory at that.

Brooklyn

The talk around here is that the Super Hornets will end up in Oceana. The controversy is kind of funny actually. I'm starting to see more bumper stickers and such in support of the Navy's new birds.

Sites like http://www.oceanayes.com and others are gaining more and more support from people who love the "sound of freedom." Come on people, who was here first?! They drive me nuts!

Dave Shutter

Patmack...you'd love any of several books or articles by RADM. Gillchrist, that's all he's talked about since retiring. That actually sounds like a recent article he wrote, what was the magazine. In his Tomcat book he does a chapter on the Tomcat 21 and what capability it COULD have had. He equated it to putting five SQDNS of Strike Fighters, equal if not superior to F-15E's on a carrier and taking them around the world. What's the pricetag on that though$$$?

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 05/07/2002 23:04:05

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Here's Matts response to a similar comment I made a few months reading a very similar article as you. (There seems to be a lot of people who are upset at seeing the Tomcat go, and need someone to pick on about it... like the "newbe" replacing it.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to laugh because you guys have been suckered by a bunch of guys that can't stand to see the F-14 go.

The truth of the matter is that the SuperHornet and indeed the Hornet itself is a much more capable airframe than the Tomcat ever was in about 90% of combat scenarios. The Tomcat was designed for one thing and one thing only and that was long range fleet defense. It was designed to shoot down Bears and Backfires before they could get into position to launch missles against the fleet. The fact that it was not half had in the BFM arena was not too bad either.

In the Hornet and indeed in the SuperHornet you have much more capable digital avionics (yes I am even including the F-14D) that are easier to upgrade. You are right, the Hornet can not carry the Phoenix but guess what? The AIM-54 has never been fired in combat. Why? Because the ROE make it such that in most cases you will need visual confirmation of the target before engaging. In other words you are in a BFM type of situation where the Hornet excels where we can fly at higher angles of attack and turn corners quicker.

The Tomcat's ability to drop bombs is kind of an "oh by the way" add on capability. In other words accuracy is right out the window when dropping dumb iron. Granted an exceptionally good pilot can drop well anyway but when it comes to hitting your target and collateral damage I would rather have a computer helping me drop the dumb iron.

You want to know where (in my opinion) the Tomcat's only advantage is? Running away. That's right, speed and getting away from the fight.

The one drawback of the Hornet is range and that has been addressed in the SuperHornet. Heck even the radar on the SuperHornet which is already great will get even better when the electronically scanned phased array system comes on line.

I can assure you that Tomcat is NOT the kickassinest bird out there. Heck there are plenty of European and former Soviet bloc aircraft that can outfly it now.

The Tomcat is a beautiful aircraft and it did what it was designed to do well but its time is certainly over.

Matt

Edited by - Matt Stevenson on 01/12/2002 21:21:31

Edited by - Matt Stevenson on 01/12/2002 21:22:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you wanna see just what I wrote as well, here is the link to that discussion. http://www.airwarriors.com/cgi-bin/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=780&FORUM_ID=6&CAT_ID=1&Topic_Title=Super+Hornet+not+so+super%3F%3F&Forum_Title=Miscellaneous

Status
Not open for further replies.