• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why it's good to be in Naval Aviation

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not really a motivating speech, but here is some food for thought.....I started API in spring of '08, and a little over 3 years later, last week, I took off in a single seat grey jet on a radar-trail departure through about 10k ft of IMC, joined, transited out 150 miles east, did a 2v1 DACT BFM hop with my lead against an F-5E, knocked it off, flew 150+ miles home, and back home shot a PAR to OPNAV mins with a heavy crosswind in driving rain. That flight pretty much tied everything I have learned together into a 1.5 of flight time (with the exception of the boat and in flight refueling), and that was literally only a couple short years after I started. Pretty impressive when you sit back and think how much this business crams into your brain in such a short time, and just how much responsibility is placed on you in the same amount of years. Get ready my STA-21/SNA/SNFO friends, this will be you in a couple very short years!

Hah, someone "liked" so just looked at this again. 8+ years later, I still remember that exact flight. Nothing has changed. Come get it cones :)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hah, someone "liked" so just looked at this again. 8+ years later, I still remember that exact flight. Nothing has changed. Come get it cones :)

Forgot to mention, about to be a dirty reservist in a couple weeks. That time might come for some of you too. Got my last active paycheck today. Kinda weird feeling.......I guess the feeling of the unknown :) Excited though.

SlickAg

pilot
Forgot to mention, about to be a dirty reservist in a couple weeks. That time might come for some of you too. Got my last active paycheck today. Kinda weird feeling.......I guess the feeling of the unknown :) Excited though.
Pro tip: make sure and set up your direct deposit and talk to your YN or whoever handles your admin to set your number of exemptions (neither carries over).

Got my first reservist paycheck in the mail...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Welcome to the dark side! :D Shoot me or any of the other SELRES a PM if you've got questions, because it's a whole different world out here. Still a rewarding thing to do, just different. Different things that are cool, and different things that are really, really dumb, just like the AC. Some of the shit I put up with chaps my ass, but the RC also gave me the most rewarding tour of my career, so go figure.

It is fun watching new folks show up from the AC, and watching their heads explode . . .

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I'm leaving in an hour to visit my family physician for my annual Medicare Wellness Exam. You all have that to look forward to in addition to all the fun & games stuff.

taxi1

pilot
Launch out of Chase Field, Beeville, first flight of the day, in a T-2 on runway 35 on an OCF hop with the South OCF space active. Pulling through vertical at 27K' on the last spin of the day, set the power idle and don't move it again for the rest of the flight. See an airliner in the distance co-altitude on the jet route adjacent to the Chase 1 MOA. Park the nose 20 degrees nose high inverted, stick full forward and left, rudder opposite, enter an inverted spin and lose 10,000+ feet as the world tumbles, recover, and point it home. Conserve your altitude and position to get an early initial with an empty pattern. Dive down and hit the numbers at 485KIAS. Break over the parking ramp. Play gear and flaps to work the energy. After touchdown, roll it at speed to take the turnoff off of Runway 35 near the parking ramp (no nosewheel steering so a delicate energy management problem), and with god as your co-pilot, momentum as your friend, and one of the first parking spots on the line open, shut them both down about 100 yards out and roll it into the chocks dead silent.

Pulled it off once.

Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Launch out of Chase Field, Beeville, first flight of the day, in a T-2 on runway 35 on an OCF hop with the South OCF space active. Pulling through vertical at 27K' on the last spin of the day, set the power idle and don't move it again for the rest of the flight. See an airliner in the distance co-altitude on the jet route adjacent to the Chase 1 MOA. Park the nose 20 degrees nose high inverted, stick full forward and left, rudder opposite, enter an inverted spin and lose 10,000+ feet as the world tumbles, recover, and point it home. Conserve your altitude and position to get an early initial with an empty pattern. Dive down and hit the numbers at 485KIAS. Break over the parking ramp. Play gear and flaps to work the energy. After touchdown, roll it at speed to take the turnoff off of Runway 35 near the parking ramp (no nosewheel steering so a delicate energy management problem), and with god as your co-pilot, momentum as your friend, and one of the first parking spots on the line open, shut them both down about 100 yards out and roll it into the chocks dead silent.

Pulled it off once.
Did that once in the H-60. Steering with no rotors turning was a bit of a challenge at the end.24094

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Pulled it off once.

You might have been an IP at the time of your story, but it reminds me of the creative stuff SNAs do. My personal fave coming home from Navy Joe was bringing the (albeit not that cool) T-45 SHB with a low key on request out of break. Tower dudes seemed to like it, and nobody yelled at me. Pretty fun. I think the statute of limitations has expired by now if there was anything illegal about that (which I don't think there was).