• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why it's good to be in Naval Aviation

danpass

Going up the elevator with your aircraft. Most folks don't know how rare that is. When you get to ride up the elevator with your aircraft it is like being in a movie shot. As the elevator comes up to flight deck level you begin to see all the activity as preperation is made for the launch. The Hummer pilot inspecting those huge prop blades., the helo lifting off and sliding to port, The F-14 RIO (I'm an old guy) under that big canopy preflighing his seat while the A-6 BN yanks on bombs and picks at arming wires. The Prowler crew walks to their ride taking bets on who will win the airborne trivia game with the new trivial pursuit cards just sent from home and the VFA guy is having his picture taken for mom and frat buddies in front of his little bug by the plane captain for the sixth time that month. Yellow gear moving, huffers spinning up and fuel hoses laid everywhere. It is an Air Force Safety Officer's nightmare. It looks awesome and you are one of the stars.
Of the posts that this mere lurker has read on this board this has to be my favorite mental image lol.

It also reminds me of my visit to the National Museum of Naval Aviation at NAS Pensacola and the highly detailed, (very large) miniature CVN/AC models:

p267277944.jpg

p420871361.jpg

p271366078.jpg

p823860517-4.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I happened to think, that with all the Hornets in the airwing now, it is a wonder the plane captains get anything done. They have to be spending all their time taking hero pics for the Hornet crews.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Things I love:
Rigging...My favorite pasttime in my beloved plane.
7 FCF's in 5 days.
Going on a 10 day DET with just YOUR crew as PPC/MC and having to explain a turtle bite to the Command.
Giving tours to 1st graders and watching the look of sheer awe when you show them around.
That awesome feeling when you grease one in and not a single smartass comment comes from the back.
The doppler monster.
Fucking with hinges.
Pickle

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Things I love:
Rigging...My favorite pasttime in my beloved plane.
7 FCF's in 5 days.
Going on a 10 day DET with just YOUR crew as PPC/MC and having to explain a turtle bite to the Command.
Giving tours to 1st graders and watching the look of sheer awe when you show them around.
That awesome feeling when you grease one in and not a single smartass comment comes from the back.
The doppler monster.
Fucking with hinges.
Pickle

Mr. P. Suit, hmmm, things you love... How about PICKLES? The young lady Heidi mentioned below, is my niece, aka "The Adirondack Pickle Lady"! I'm flying over there for a visit next month, PM me your mailing particulars, and I'll send some delicious samples for you, Missus Pickle & the Gherkins.:)
Heidi-1.jpgHeidi-2.jpg
BzB

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Mr. P. Suit, hmmm, things you love... How about PICKLES? The young lady Heidi mentioned below, is my niece, aka "The Adirondack Pickle Lady"! I'm flying over there for a visit next month, PM me your mailing particulars, and I'll send some delicious samples for you, Missus Pickle & the Gherkins.:)
View attachment 11415View attachment 11416
BzB

I just want to say that you"BusyBee604 and Picklesuit" are awesome! I thank God we have AWs as great as the 2 of you! God bless the community and the 2 of you!

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Limping into someplace like Rota, Cubi or Barbers Pt. Back in the day with a sick bird and not having to spend a whole lot of time translating maintenance wise what was wrong with my plane. Never had a bad experience with Navy maintenance helping to get us back in the air.

haimehhh

Since my last post, I found out from my PQ letter that I'm color blind and unable to select any aviation designator, but that doesn't change the fact that this thread is really inspiring– thanks to all who shared.

In addition, I look forward to serving with folks like yourselves. at sailor bob, and occasionally on here, the ribbing between NA/NFO and SWOs can get a little heated– but that's just a facet of being part of a big family. I can't wait to contribute (though i'll also keep this post in mind through my career).

edit: ps

Alpha_Echo_606

Contributor
Since my last post, I found out from my PQ letter that I'm color blind and unable to select any aviation designator, but that doesn't change the fact that this thread is really inspiring– thanks to all who shared.

In addition, I look forward to serving with folks like yourselves. at sailor bob, and occasionally on here, the ribbing between NA/NFO and SWOs can get a little heated– but that's just a facet of being part of a big family. I can't wait to contribute (though i'll also keep this post in mind through my career).

edit: ps
Sorry to hear this, I wish you good luck in your Navy career.

Alpha_Echo_606

Contributor
I sat and read this entire thread during a meeting at work yesterday...man I can't wait for this career change! Awesome stories and I'm so excited to have some of my own someday!
Wow, that was one heck of a read for a meeting, I wish you good luck on the career change.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Back on my first underway period I was on a hoist transfer mission. We were to pickup someone off a Knox class frigate (yeah, I am that old). I was in the right seat, we were hovering with the nose off to the left. My aircrewman was giving the standard calls, when I heard this: "...Pax half way up,....bwahh ha ha ha ha ha...OMG look at this! Bwaa ha ha ha ha!! Mr L, look in the mirror!"I look in the external mirror so I can see back at the hoist station and I see a somewhat large, round sailor holding tight to the horse collar,wearing tighty whities and his dungarees down around his ankles. I had to fight back the tears of laughter as the AW1 in the back took several "swings" to get the guy in the door.
Kind of weird to quote my own post... but applicable in this thread.
Why its good to be in Naval Aviation? Not just stories like this, but running into someone 15 (ok, maybe more than that) years later that knows the person in your story and brings back all the memories. In this case, a young man wanting to apply for Army aviation comes into my office last week. Turns out his dad was an AW in the Navy and is friends with the AW in my story above. A few more short stories about his dad's friend and naval aviation and this kid is hooked. Army, Navy, Coast Guard, or Marines, and I guess the Air Force too. There is nothing like military aviation or the experiences and the friends that go along with it.

The times change. The stories from the past seem unbelievable in today's times, but I believe even the youngest and newest aviators of today are going to have stories that sound like myths for the new guys they tell their stories to.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting to be a part of this tomorrow.

NAS Whidbey Island Aircraft to Participate in Repatriation Ceremony

NAVAL AIR STATION WHIDBEY ISLAND, Wash. - - Weather permitting, four EA-18G Growlers from Naval Air Station (NAS) Whidbey Island will conduct a Missing Man Formation over Mountain View Funeral Home and Cemetery, Lakewood, Wash., on Saturday, April 18, 2015, at 2 p.m., during funeral services for Lt. Richard C. Clark.

Clark’s remains were found in Vietnam in 1991 but could not be verified as his until last year when advances in DNA testing made verification possible.

Clark, a Lieutenant Junior Grade at the time, and Cmdr. Charles R. Gillespie, launched from the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea on October 24, 1967, for a combat air patrol mission over Vinh Phu Province, North Vietnam. While on station, their F-4B Phantom II aircraft was struck by an enemy surface-to-air missile and crashed. Gillespie successfully ejected from the aircraft, captured by North Vietnamese forces and held as a prisoner of war until returned to U.S. Control. Clark could not be confirmed as ejecting from the aircraft and was carried in the status of Missing in Action. During this status, he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. Clark, originally from Richland, Nebraska, entered the Naval Reserves on February 13, 1965 in Tacoma, Wash.

The Growlers will be from three Electronic Attack Squadrons; the VAQ-129 Vikings, VAQ-130 Zappers and the Patriots of VAQ-140. NAS Whidbey Island is the home base for all of the U.S. military operational Growlers, the U.S. military’s premier electronic attack jet aircraft.