• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are so few professionally recommended to OCS? IWC.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
One motivator for intel that hasn't been mentioned is who you get to work with. Say you're an aviation NPQ or a BUD/S-dud. Intel can give you a chance to work in those communities for your initial operational tour and maybe once or twice again after that. So while it is more Jane's than James Bond, it's fun to brief guys flying OIR missions like I did, create products about new threat streams, sit in all the lectures during SFARP and learn more about jets and missiles (both blue and red), and so on. And if they like you, a backseat ride or two may be on offer (or six, like one of my friends received). Or, even if you can't kick down doors to snag the bad guys, you can be involved in helping to make that happen in certain NSW related jobs.**

That being said, the community is mostly still focused on the maritime. A large percentage of JO first sea tours are in aviation (~40% from my last count) but after that you're probably going to be sitting on a watchfloor somewhere making powerpoint slides about where adversary ships are, or answering a storm of phone calls about whether or not North Korea is shooting a missile at Hawaii. If air or ground stuff is your main interest and you're not someone who is trying to redesignate, you should probably look at a different service.

In a nutshell, we're one of the support jobs out there that still has a toe in the fight vice being largely removed from it. Working close with URL officers has given me a decent idea of what "our place" is, vice having the delusion that IWC officers should be URL, which someone people actually think.

Our quality of life is pretty good. Less sea duty than other communities, but ashore you would find yourself working weird hours on a watchfloor for the first 6-12 months at most large intel centers. Additionally, while some jobs are certainly more career enhancing than others, we don't have a "golden path" per se, and have a lot of flexibility in terms of our assignments and detailing (too much IMO, but that's another story).

Some people find that boring and have to be in a trench, cockpit, or bridge for this to be appealing. If you're one of those people, this job isn't for you. Bottom line is that if you really like nerding out over military stuff like history, hardware, solving intel/targeting problems, and so on, it's an interesting career field to be in.

As for the admissions percentage...a pretty big chunk of us, myself included, were attrited from aviation or BUD/S (sitting height got me). I don't know how much of a dent this makes in the odds for guys applying pre-commissioning (whether as civilians or enlisted in the fleet). I've heard from senior folks that our community is somewhat dependent on attrites to keep our manning in order, since we don't get healthy USNA/NROTC grads and would otherwise have to fund more OCS slots.

AULANI

As for the admissions percentage...a pretty big chunk of us, myself included, were attrited from aviation or BUD/S (sitting height got me). I don't know how much of a dent this makes in the odds for guys applying pre-commissioning (whether as civilians or enlisted in the fleet). I've heard from senior folks that our community is somewhat dependent on attrites to keep our manning in order, since we don't get healthy USNA/NROTC grads and would otherwise have to fund more OCS slots.

Two of the Intel O's I worked for came from the aviation community (one for motion sickness and the other for vision issues ) and they were awesome. The other two I worked for, one came straight out of the USNA and the other one came from the Merchant Marines and they were both great Intel officers as well.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Two of the Intel O's I worked for came from the aviation community (one for motion sickness and the other for vision issues ) and they were awesome. The other two I worked for, one came straight out of the USNA and the other one came from the Merchant Marines and they were both great Intel officers as well.

There's never any shame in our community for saying that it was Plan B at OCS or you were too broken to do anything else at USNA, but there are some folks who will outright say that on average we aren't as strong performers as the guys who came in the front door. Some of that is resentment over the fact that it took them two or three attempts to get into OCS on an intel slot and we just rang the bell, had a bad day at the flight surgeon, or painted the inside of a T-6 with vomit one time too many.

whitebaba

I am planning to submit a package for CEC, I need help with a designator for my interview appraisal sheet. Can someone recommend me please ? 04 and above

whitebaba

To what extent? Could I apply to be a Seabee and they'll teach me civil engineering? I've done all the math and physics already, so there's that.
I am planning to submit a package for CEC, I need help with a designator for my interview appraisal sheet. Can someone recommend me please ? 04 and above

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why would anyone give a recommendation to a random internet stranger they've never met?

Or are you asking for someone to conduct an interview?

whitebaba

Are you working with a recruiter? That should be a good start...
No I am not working with a recruiter for now, I am a Gas turbine Technician E-5, recently we had busy schedule for EOC , I don't have much to time to see a recruiter but I have a LTJG on ship that's putting me through. just need a designator for my interview appraisal

whitebaba

Why would anyone give a recommendation to a random internet stranger they've never met?

Or are you asking for someone to conduct an interview?
That's the more reason why I joined this community, I believe I am part of these Family. I actually need 04 and above to conduct interview for me, I will appreciate if anyone can recommend me

whitebaba

That's the more reason why I joined this community, I believe I am part of these Family. I actually need 04 and above to conduct interview for me, I will appreciate if anyone can recommend me

AULANI

This is the IWC thread... you'll want to find the one for CEC folks. The only CECs I know I went to OCS with and they're only O-1s like me. Or can you have any O-4 conduct the interview?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This is the IWC thread... you'll want to find the one for CEC folks. The only CECs I know I went to OCS with and they're only O-1s like me. Or can you have any O-4 conduct the interview?

He should be reaching out to his DIVO for help. If the DIVO doesnt know, he or she should know how or where to go to find CEC officers.

whitebaba

I will surely do that as soon as I get back from Underway. Thanks a lot

exNavyOffRec

No I am not working with a recruiter for now, I am a Gas turbine Technician E-5, recently we had busy schedule for EOC , I don't have much to time to see a recruiter but I have a LTJG on ship that's putting me through. just need a designator for my interview appraisal

as mentioned this is the IWC thread, make sure the officer you are working with goes over the CEC PA with you, see if he can reach out to a CEC accessions officer, I hope you have a tech degree from an ABET accredited college, and have taken or are going to take your EIT.