• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Why are so few professionally recommended to OCS? IWC.

Tony Kay

Looking at the stats. Only 3.7% of people that sent in packets to the board for Intel were recommended for OCS. I know intel is competitive, but seriously. The IWC only had 9% of applicants professionally recommended. Why is the number so low? Perhaps I am in err, but I would think more than 3.7% of people that sent in packets were highly qualified.

I would think either.
1. They have little need/spaces. We aren't in a war, etc.
2. People the seriously aren't qualified are sending in packets. Which I doubt.

Anyway, not sure what to think. I know they aren't taking just anyone with a pulse, but I wouldn't imagine the numbers would be so low.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Why
Looking at the stats. Only 3.7% of people that sent in packets to the board for Intel were recommended for OCS. I know intel is competitive, but seriously. The IWC only had 9% of applicants professionally recommended. Why is the number so low? Perhaps I am in err, but I would think more than 3.7% of people that sent in packets were highly qualified.

I would think either.
1. They have little need/spaces. We aren't in a war, etc.
2. People the seriously aren't qualified are sending in packets. Which I doubt.

Anyway, not sure what to think. I know they aren't taking just anyone with a pulse, but I wouldn't imagine the numbers would be so low.

Ask yourself why Harvard has a 5.4% selection/acceptance rate and you will have your answer.

BlueDacnis

IP Officer - Graduated OCS 20JUL18
We’re not applying to be cashiers at the local Winn-Dixie. We’re applying to be in charge of valuable people doing potentially dangerous things.

I expected the Navy to have some high standards for officers. I’m surprised you didn’t. I can only hope that I and everyone else accepted deserve their recommendation.

Tony Kay

We’re not applying to be cashiers at the local Winn-Dixie. We’re applying to be in charge of valuable people doing potentially dangerous things.

I expected the Navy to have some high standards for officers. I’m surprised you didn’t. I can only hope that I and everyone else accepted deserve their recommendation.

How you got this out of my post idk. I certainly expect high standards.

Renegade One

None
For some reason I didn't expect the Navy to have selection rates comparable to Harvard.
"The Navy" doesn't...pro-rec selection for Intel evidently does. May roughly parallel the selection rate of VFA pilots for NFWS. Many are qualified...few are chosen. This will come up again.

FormerRecruitingGuru

For some reason I didn't expect the Navy to have selection rates comparable to Harvard.

Similar to Harvard, Navy Intel is highly desired/respected with so many limited spots available. It seems like EVERYONE and their mother wants to be an Intel Officer if Aviation doesn't work out. You have many people with 3.0 GPA History or Political Science degrees under the impression that they're extremely competitive when in reality you're in the middle of the pack.

With your stats in your profile, I would highly encourage considering SWO, Aviation (if you're medically qualified) or even Supply. Your numbers are well below the competitive norm.

Tony Kay

With your stats in your profile, I would highly encourage considering SWO, Aviation (if you're medically qualified) or even Supply. Your numbers are well below the competitive norm.

My OAR score and IWC board statistics seem not to align with your conclusion.

exNavyOffRec

add this to the factor, it is an estimate of course but it is estimated that 75% of enlistment age eligible people are not even physically qualified to apply, of course not every eligible is going to apply but the low selection rate is just of those that can apply, it used to be anyone could apply without being physically qualified, they would get physically qualified afterwards.

FormerRecruitingGuru

You have a 3.3 GPA... with a bachelors degree... going against folks with high GPAs and graduate education. Even with a high OAR your chances are very limited. It’s not opinion, it’s facts.

You’re going into the process with a millennial atttiude in which you think you’re invincible (with a below average GPA) and it’s going to bite you hard in the end.

Judge Q

Judging You
You have a 3.3 GPA... with a bachelors degree... going against folks with high GPAs and graduate education. Even with a high OAR your chances are very limited. It’s not opinion, it’s facts.

You’re going into the process with a millennial atttiude in which you think you’re invincible (with a below average GPA) and it’s going to bite you hard in the end.

Please don't lump us all in with him.

BlueDacnis

IP Officer - Graduated OCS 20JUL18

Honestly I wouldn’t talk like that to someone who does this for a living. His conclusions are worth more than statistics-aided guesswork. No one is guaranteed anything. You’re coming off as pretty arrogant and entitled. Lots of people with better scores and education and GPA than you have been denied.

Tony Kay

Honestly I wouldn’t talk like that to someone who does this for a living. His conclusions are worth more than statistics-aided guesswork. No one is guaranteed anything. You’re coming off as pretty arrogant and entitled. Lots of people with better scores and education and GPA than you have been denied.

I agree. It just seems slightly, less than genuine to reach a conclusion off of one statistic (that certainly isn't disqualifying) given the holistic process.