• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whiting v. Corpus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle1

Can anyone give me some of the pros and cons for Primary at either Whiting or Corpus. There really doesn't seem to be too much info floating around as to what the differences (either good or bad) are between these two locations.

Thanks in advance.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I went through Primary and Intermediate at Whiting with VT6, and then went down to Corpus for Advanced (Props/Maritime) with VT31. I personally liked Pensacola a lot more than I liked Corpus, as a place to live. I am personally more partial to the beach, and Padre Island down there doesn't really have a good one.

Also I noticed (maybe Whiting has the system now) but down in Corpus all the flight scheds and grades are accessible online. I could look at the grades and comments I recieved on a flight when I got home (via the internet), instead of waiting a couple of days for the hard copy to show up in my ATJ during Primary. Hopefully Whiting has caught up with the times, the TMS2 system was a welcome tool during my training in Corpus.

The only other glaring difference between the two was the difference between Course Rules, how you leave and return from the field under VFR flight. The rules for Whiting are much more complex, and when I arrived at Corpus, the rules seemed much easier in comparison. Either that or I had managed to learn something in Primary!! Irregardless, this is hardly something to base a decision solely on, you have to learn how to navigate the plane effictively in either locale based on the traffic rules and ground check points.

Also, it is friggin hot in Corpus, come on, it is SOUTH TEXAS!! I thought it was hot and humid in Pensacola when I went through training there, WRONG!! Try 113 degree heat in the summer, dang that T44 was hot opening it on the flight line this summer!! And I sincerely felt for the guys flying the Turbo Weenie, even the guys down at Kingsville in the T45, all I got to say is drink lots of high quality H2O.

These are just my opinions, and you have to realize that you will recieve the same syllabus training at both places. So the question really revolves around where you would most like to be, if you get the chance to put your two cents in that is. A lot of people wanted to go to Corpus when I was going through API just because they heard it would take longer for them to go through Primary, and more pool waits. Well I did finish ahead of my friends who went to Corpus after API, but personally I enjoyed the every day flying of VT6 and VT31, while hard on you, it doesn't allow you much of a chance to forget things.

Hope some of those thoughts help.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I went through Primary in Corpus when only the top two from each API class was selected to go. I loved flying down here in S Texas. Course rules were a heck of a lot easier and you only have two outlying fields to memorize.(NAF Waldron and Aransas County). Corpus was cheaper then Pcola but I think that's changed. You can live on the beach(definitely not as nice as Pcola beaches) and only be 15 minutes from the squadron. Can't do that in Whiting. It has always seemed to me that Whiting was always more anal then Corpus. I have nothing to support that comment, just experience dealing with anal IP's. Semper FI!

ianmaize

I've now done three of the four locations, being an E-2/C-2 student. I started in VT-2 at Whiting Field, Intermediates in VT-31 at Corpus, and now am in VT-9 at Meridian, MS.

I think that there are pros and cons to both primary locations. The most important aspect to consider, of course, is the flying. I mean, you're not living there for that long. I really think that Whiting Field is a better location to learn to fly. The major argument against this is that the course rules are difficult at Whiting. That is true, but there is a caveat to that. Whiting field has ENORMOUS working areas, which are very nice to fly in. Course Rules are initially challenging, but after a few flights, you've got them down and the large areas are great. It's also true that there are more outlying fields at Whiting. However, this also means that you're never doing touch and go's at homefield, and there are ALWAYS only two or three people in the pattern when you are at an OLF. You also have choices for your solos.

Another positive for Whiting is that you're only dealing with other T-34 traffic. Everyone else around you is doing the same thing, going to and from the same places.

As for living conditions, I think that Pensacola is again better. Corpus Christi is a glorified strip mall. Pensacola is actually a city.

The big drawback to Whiting Field is its remoteness from civilization. If you live in Pensacola, you'll be facing a 35-45 minute drive to fly every day. If you're living in Milton (which I did), you'll be facing a 30 minute drive every time you want to have any fun. But, it's only for six months, and I think that the flying experience at Whiting is worth it.

Well, I think i'm probably beginning to ramble a bit. Feel free to email me if you have any more specific questions.

ianmaize@yahoo.com

SHADHERRENKOHL

I just finished Prim and Int at Corpus and would not change if I could. Course rules are easy the squadron is laid back. I am now in Enid awaiting T-1 training, Does anyone have iany info for me.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.