• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

BarryD

Contributor
Yeah, after doing some more research, I think I've settled on that PRW-60. It's only about 1mm wider than my X-33, and I like the large tritium hands. I don't need 16-zillion functions for the watch, just the standard timer/SW/Alarm and it has to have GMT. I've since decided that a compass makes sense, and the Protrek checks all those boxes. The extra sensors on it are just a bonus.

The only negative I've found with that watch is the negative display, but to get a positive display you have to buy the next year's model and the face is different, and I'd argue not as clean. Reviews seem indicate the negative display on that particular model is much brighter than most, so I'll live with it.

The one linchpin in this whole thing is that my current G-Shock refuses to die, and the whole point of getting the Protrek is for utility, not for jewelry. First-world problems.
Ten year battery (or whatever the company line is for G-Shocks) can be tough . . .

What G-Shock ref?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What G-Shock ref?

I'll have to look. I'm at work and wearing the X-33 today, so not sure. Just a digital with the basic functions and one of those round things that spin around for no reason that I can figure out.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'll have to look. I'm at work and wearing the X-33 today, so not sure. Just a digital with the basic functions and one of those round things that spin around for no reason that I can figure out.
I looked at some of the Garmin or Samsung smart watches when I was thinking about getting something that combined the functions of a watch and a fitbit. But after wearing a Fitbit for a year I got bored of all of its nonsense and I decided I didn't need to know about texts on my watch.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...I decided I didn't need to know about texts on my watch.

Completely agree. I have zero interest in that. When I get home, I put my phone where my keys and wallet sit and don't go back unless I need to make a phone call or happen to hear it beep with a text as I'm walking by.

GroundPounder

Completely agree. I have zero interest in that. When I get home, I put my phone where my keys and wallet sit and don't go back unless I need to make a phone call or happen to hear it beep with a text as I'm walking by.

My position includes what amounts to 24/7 on call status, I have a Galaxy Note 8 and a Samsung watch that is tethered to my work number. The very first thing I plan on doing on day 1 of retirement is to walk away from that phone.

I can’t wait to be unreachable.

Pags

N/A
pilot
FIFY.

This would have been the worst recommendation ever:
Nothing is after hours if you live at work. Some of the most miserable people I've ever seen are the folks who decided to live on the boat in port. Increase their misery when heads are secured and you have to go the pier to take a wiz.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Nothing is after hours if you live at work.
Precisely!

tenor.gif