• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Swatch just released a pretty descent looking watch - great aesthetic. Its no Speedy but for $200, its better than any Seiko IMHO. Would make a great
SNA starter watch. Although the cool kids seem to be sporting Apple Watch now

BarryD

Contributor
Another affordable quartz chrono. Dial is definitely a little busy for my taste but the chrono sweeps when it runs. The bracelet it comes on appears to be shit but whoever owns this one (thanks Google Images) got a NATO. Can find for $225.

pleahy15

A lower price does not make it better. In fact, it's usually the opposite.

If by "starter watch" you mean it being the start of a watch collection than NO. If by "starter watch" you mean "I don't have a watch and need one" then maybe.
Would a Garmin watch be a good one to get?

sickboy

pilot
No, more of a general question if it would be a good watch to get for daily/majority use.

I wear one most of the time. I recommend something that you don't mind being destroyed by radar for the boat (assuming that's a thing for you).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's definitely the SPY. I never knew anyone having issues with the -49 radars, despite the feedback on video recordings or the PA system during quarters on the flight deck.

I'll say it again, whatever watch you get, get one that has GMT on it as a separate function. Bonus points for one that you don't have to take off when you go into the sim building (if that kind of thing is enforced where you work).