• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHICH Brown Shoe?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
Well, USAF doesn't want any CMEO complaints, so that makes sense. I'll bet it cost Uncle Sam a lot more than $75 though.
Na, if I remember correctly, it was a crew member's lawn chair, duct taped to a space behind the cockpit. I'm sure it's a million dollar bed now............stealth and all. The Air Force, at times, can "adapt, and overcome".

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Bates shoes didn't used to be this way. The ones I was issued back in '01 had hard rubber soles that seemed to last forever. Now they're made out of packing foam or something- whatever it is feels cheap as hell, and will fall apart the first time you walk a few steps.

I faintly remember this. Unfortunately that pair of white bates has lived somewhere at the bottom of the ocean on the equator since the summer of '05, after I shed my shameful wog attire and cast it over the side (nobody told the dumb MIDN 2/C that he should bring a change of throwaway clothes for a Sydney to Guam cruise).

ChuckM

pilot
Big fan of Johnston and Murphy. First option below with a rubber sole, second with leather. The brand has a solid reputation and the styles are classic. You can find them cheaper on Amazon and Zappos. Same look as Bates that have been polished for a few years and have developed some, "depth." I've had a pair of their leather soled captoes for ~15 years they are still servicable.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/tabor...2=color&prefv1=Plain+Toe&prefv2=Brown&start=5

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/cartw...ian Calfskin&dwvar_6273_width=M#sz=23&start=9

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Johnston and Murphy has a solid reputation still? I thought they went down market when they moved their manufacturing overseas back in 2002. It's all contracted out now isn't it?