• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

WHICH Brown Shoe?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
REAL Brown Shoes . . . any advice?

So I was reading the latest brown shoe thread, and realized that mine may have looked good as an Ensign, but the cheap Bates soles are beginning to dry rot and look nasty. Yes, I could just call up the NEX and order a new pair.

But I'm picky. I got a pair of nice civilian dress shoes a year or so ago, with real leather soles and lining. I figured it'd be great to find a set of brown uniform shoes like that, but unfortunately I'd have to have them custom made. So I figured I'd pose the problem to the peanut gallery, and see if anyone has tried this before, or knows anyone who can. Heck, maybe we could get a group buy started . . .

So does anyone know if there is a good cobbler in the P-Cola area who could accomplish this? Failing that, any recommendations anywhere else? I'm beginning to think I should have done this while closer to Seattle . . . :icon_tong

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
FYI, that happened to a classmate of mine. His soles basically disintegrated as he was walking due to dry rot. He called up Bates and after talking to a few people (didn't take no for an answer) got them to overnight a brand new pair gratis. These shoes are a uniform item, after all, and as long as they are not physically worn out, they should function as advertised.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Johnston Murphy - Dawson Plain Toe, it is expensive but it isn't plastic leather like the Bates.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
I just bought some Florsheims from the Pearl Harbor NEX. Real leather sole. They only had the crappy Bates Lites in the uniform store. Those things piss me off.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I agree with the premise of this thread. I've been looking for a pair of REAL leather brown shoes with leather soles, etc.

A few years back I stripped my bates and repolished them. They aren't as plasticy and the repolish gave them some character, but my feet have grown since then and wouldn't mind something nicer.

Anyone had any troubles wearing "non-uniform" brown shoes?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or would it be possible to get the bates shoes resoled to something civilized instead of that crappy foam sole?

gotta_fly

pilot
Maybe we could get Bates to do a premier brown shoe? Their premier black shoe is pretty nice. I got them in college and much preferred the better leather and real leather soles to the junky foam rubber.

MasterBates

Okay.. Bitching about shoes passed on to Mom.

Just kidding. Yes, same Bates family, but the company was sold to Wolverine years ago. I can't even get a damn discount anymore.

Stacy Adams makes an all leather shoe that can be found for ~$100. But the bastards stop at 15 for sizing.

What I cannot find, is white shoes in my size. The NEX can only order up to 14s, and those are way too small. And I despise the foam soles as well.

Bevo16

pilot
Johnston Murphy - Dawson Plain Toe, it is expensive but it isn't plastic leather like the Bates.

9755-281722-p.jpg

That is a sweet shoe, no doubt about it. It is pretty close to the same leather pattern of the Bates shoe, but not exactly the same. Is it legal?

Pags

N/A
pilot
There's also this one from J&M....
Shoes_iAEC1010844.jpg

Also pretty damned close. One guy in our wardroom has custom made shoes he got overseas, no one says a thing. I usually get a few comments from my "antique" looking bates.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
That is a sweet shoe, no doubt about it. It is pretty close to the same leather pattern of the Bates shoe, but not exactly the same. Is it legal?

I have it, and it hasn't been an issue yet. The reg reads
"Plain toed, oxford style black, brown, or white, low quarter, lace shoe, made of smooth leather or synthetic leather. The heel shall be an outside heel 3/4 inch - 7/8 inch high with a flat sole." So even if someone made an issue, they meet the uniform requirements anyways.

Captain Coz

pilot
Contributor
Be careful of wearing shoes with leather soles on the flight line or in the hangar. Many of the hydraulic fluids used in aircraft will soak into leather soles and cause them to deteriorate and wear out very fast.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
A few years back I stripped my bates and repolished them. They aren't as plasticy and the repolish gave them some character, but my feet have grown since then and wouldn't mind something nicer.

What did you use to strip them with? I assume just shaving cream and then brown polish?

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
I've been wearing the Florsheim brown oxford for about 7 years (bought at Jax NEX) and have been very happy. I'm pretty sure the Uniform Regs don't say anything about a particular brand of shoe, as long as they meet the "Plain toed, oxford style black, brown, or white, low quarter, lace shoe, made of smooth leather or synthetic leather. The heel shall be an outside heel 3/4 inch - 7/8 inch high with a flat sole." requirement, you can wear any brand you want.

I have heard other people who found a cobbler to resole their Bates with leather and have also been happier with them. That would be cheaper than shelling out $100 for a different pair if you already have Bates.