• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which airplane to get PPL in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM21o

I can either get my PPL in a Piper PA-28-180 or Cessna 172...would any one of these prepare me better for Primary or is it all the same? Thanks in advance for any advice!

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
AbsolutVU is doing IFS in a Diamond Katana. It's a low winged aircraft. The yoke is actually a stick between the legs. That might be an advantage to look at. I'll have to see what the Piper you are talking about looks like. I guess I would say do whatever you can afford.

savingthisone

banghead_125.gif
Makes not difference, I suggest C152 as cheaper. After PPL the simply get checked out in Piper, C172, T41 (D rated) or what ever you want. Some say high wing is easier to fly, I disagree on several accounts. By all means get your qualifications to fly as many as you can, there is no limit.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I'd say the PA-28-180 (Piper Archer if I'm not mistaken?) would be better. It's low wing like the T-34 and a bit faster than the C152. However, I'm not even in API yet, so I'd wait and hear from actual aviators. Then again, when it comes down to it, flying is flying (I've flown a few aircraft during my student pilot time in high school...ahhh memories).

Fly Navy
ENS USNR

sms0613

Either airplane is just as good to train for a ppl. The idea is to understand the basic fundamentals of flight and technique.Understand how and why a plane flys, stalls, and all that other stuff. Once you have a basic understanding, the transition to a complex, high performance turboprop such as the T-34 should not be a problem and you may have an edge on these other guys. If I had to choose, I would go for the less expensive one.My $0.02 as a CFI.

thepilot33

I received my PPL at Embry Riddle and think that you should start out in a C172. It is very basic and extremely easy to fly. You do not have to worry about a constant speed prop or gear and this will help you out quite a bit during your first few lessons. I did my commercial pilots licenses in a PA28R and it is also a very forgiving aircraft, but a touch more complicated to fly. The C-172 will most likely be cheaper as well.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Def. go with the cheaper plane. Don't get yourself in alot of debt. Just get a little flying in expand your SA and be happy. Dont go overboard on the PPL. Learn as much as you can but dont break the bank doing so.

Dave

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Definitely try to go with a low wing plane, even if it does cost a bit more (but, as others have said, don't break the bank to get low wing). I have heard that the Cessna's don't fly anything like the T-34 due to the high wing design, and infact they are almost too forgiving and too easy to land. Also, be sure you get a good CFI, as I have seen some CFIs who could not teach another intelligent human being how to butter bread.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry Patmack, but we have 550 hp max and 425 hp (1015 ft lbs)for normal operation.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.