• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When was the first time you utilized your commercial license?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I feel a whole lot more empowered and excited this week than I even did a few weeks ago. In addition to the long-sought, glimmering wings complimenting my show-stealingly gorgeous National Defense Service Medal, I find myself suddenly equipped with commercial fixed-wing and helicopter licenses. The possibilities are endless!

But really, it's pretty awesome. The last time I flew a civilian aircraft was during my IFS solo in a Piper Warrior two years ago. Part 61 tells me that all I'd need to do is make three takeoffs and landings before I'd be current in that thing again. Still blowing my mind. Once life gets back to normal after the transition, I'll be looking to have some aerial fun.

When was the first time you flexed your new wings?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you haven't done civilian flying prior to the Navy (other than IFS), I'd definitely recommend doing more than a quick checkout in a Pipesna. While you can operate within the airspace legally, there are some differences that you don't get exposed to in the TRACOM. Also, as a helo guy, I can pretty much guarantee your first approach to a landing will result in either being way too slow on short final and/or resulting in a wave off. I would watch it time and again with helo IUTs when they'd transition to the T-34 on their NATOPS 1 (and I did the same thing when I transitioned). I fly civilian fixed-wing now semi-regularly, and even now, I hawk the airspeed to make sure I'm not trying to inadvertently bring the plane into a hover at 50 feet over the numbers.

That said, enjoy the ticket. Not sure when you're classing up, but if you find you have the time, it will probably be a much more relaxing endeavor than worrying about EGIs, kVA ratings, and Maneuver Description Guide minutiae.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Thanks for the input! I'd like to better familiarize myself with civilian flying however I can before I jump into it. Even things like the preflight ("What's a magneto again?") bear reviewing. Once I class up, I'll probably see if there's some sort of aviation club or whatnot through the FRS and go from there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I double you'll find much help at the RAG unless it's just bumping into random people who fly on their own.

NAS has a flying club, but their planes are pretty worn and their runway is closing shortly for several months. I'm not sure if they're moving to VQQ with everyone else for that period of time. I'm sure their rates are less, though (they were several years ago when I flew with them). Other options are Craig and Herlong, or commuting down to St. Augustine. I can probably get you some info on Herlong but don't have much about the other two.

Honestly, wait until you get through a couple of OFTs before trying to fly on your own. You may find you'll have your hands full initially while trying to figure out which button does what and what the hell CLAP is.