• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When to go see the Flight Surgeon

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey Pickle,
I assume you were still in flight status when you got the procedure done? I’m pretty sure I have the same exact thing on my upper back. I’m concerned that if I go see the doc, I could get NPQ’d. Just looking for the warm and fuzzy that this is waiverable. Thank you!

If you have an issue, go see a doc. I've been there and it cost me (although I'd argue it worked more in my favor), but take care of yourself first. That said, Pickle's status is very different than yours (based on your profile). If you haven't had your Whammy, you're not in the same boat as Pickle, waiverablity-wise.

Kp172015

pilot
Ok. This profile was made a while back, but I’ve got wings now, so you think it could potentially be waiverable? I’m going get it checked out either way, but I just want to be prepared for what I may hear. And thanks for getting back by the way.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok. This profile was made a while back, but I’ve got wings now, so you think it could potentially be waiverable? I’m going get it checked out either way, but I just want to be prepared for what I may hear. And thanks for getting back by the way.

Copy. Let me know which wings and I'll update your profile. TOTALLY get your question now.

Kp172015

pilot
Haha thanks you. Pilot wings. So, pickle was flying when he had his surgery and was able to get a waiver?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I had/have wings. Moh’s Procedure for Basal Cell Carcinoma, which has no requirement for a waiver. Also no waiver required for the frozen eartip to remove some bad cells.

Now, the broken pinky that ended with hardware will be my first waiver (16+ years in...)

taxi1

pilot
As a reservist, I had a decent sized squamous on my left temple that was removed. Stayed an up round throughout. Didn’t know it was cancer until I got the note in the mail...whhaaa? Thought it was just another suspect mole. It was Moh’s procedure.

I get seen once or twice a year, where they cut or freeze random things off each time.

It’s weird to have to answer “yes” on health forms where it asks “have you ever had cancer”.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You guys talk pretty openly about the kinds of problems that a lot of aviators are afraid to talk about behind closed doors- and not talking about it doesn't do much to fight ignorance and fear of those things.

Kp172015

pilot
Yeah I bet! I hope I’m wrong about it being cancer but the google machine is leading me to believe it definitely is that basal cell shit. Thanks for the feedback!

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
Unfortunately, the most durable memory aviators have of NAMI is of the initial flight physical process, and the spectre of arbitrary diqualification. However, the interaction dramatically changes once winged. Almost any physical condition is waiverable for a designated aviator, if not immediately, at some point in the future once definitive treatment is rendered and recovery completed. Ultimately, as Gatordev says, take care of yourself.

V/R

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s weird to have to answer “yes” on health forms where it asks “have you ever had cancer”.
I've worked with a couple of folks who fought that beast and were full-up rounds with NAMI. I'll note that one guy's callsign was "Uno."

Kp172015

pilot
Unfortunately, the most durable memory aviators have of NAMI is of the initial flight physical process, and the spectre of arbitrary diqualification. However, the interaction dramatically changes once winged. Almost any physical condition is waiverable for a designated aviator, if not immediately, at some point in the future once definitive treatment is rendered and recovery completed. Ultimately, as Gatordev says, take care of yourself.

V/R

Yeah, I remember those days. Lost a lot of good potential aviators on like day 3 of OCS due to good ol’ NAMI nonsense.