• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When should I get PRK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeAE2005

I'm currently 19 years old, in my 4th semester of college (I'm a sophomore), and would like to get in the BDCP. My vision does not currently meet the requirements, so I need to get PRK. Should I go ahead and get it as soon as possible, and then apply for BDCP? Is it even possible to get into BDCP before I get the PRK surgery done?

I'd like to get my name on the "list" for BDCP ASAP. Keep in mind I am 19, is that too young for PRK? My vision hasn't changed for about at least a year and a half, so I'm thinking it's not going to change anymore. Is it safe for me to get PRK then?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Joe

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
im not exactly sure what the Navy would say about it, but I know my eye doctor said that If I were to get a PRK I should wait as long as possible because your eyes are expected to go through the most change during the ages of 18 to 22.

Im in the same boat as you. My last eye check (about 8 months ago) gave me 20/40 correctable to 20/20, which is still within the limits, but I dont know if its gotten any worse since then.

I think your best bet is to contact a Navy Doctor.

Im sure someone with more experiance then this can answer this better.

JoeAE2005

18-22 years old? I'm not sure if I can wait till I'm 22. I will be out of college by that time. 19 seems kind of early, but my vision has not changed for almost 2 years now, and neither has my height (if that matters). Any other opinions? I guess I will ultimately have to consult a doctor about this one...

-Joe

flyinmonkey

Hey Joe, I am a 20 year old in my 4th year of college also. I am applying for the marine corps plc program. I was told that I had to get my prk done before I applied for the program. I think you are probably old enough, since the doctors seemed to be more concerned about having stable vision for a year than about age. They also try to give candidates eagle eyes so that if your eyes change a little you will still beable to see 20/20. I just had my 2 month check-up yesterday. They said that I had 20/10, I couldn't believe it. When you get prk, follow the doctors orders to the letter and never miss a drop.

good luck,
Steve

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Flyinmonkey and JoeAE2005, I'm in the same boat as you guys. 20 years old and in my sophomore year of college. I'll need PRK to be an aviator. Flyinmonkey, how did your PRK procedure go? Lot of pain, halos, and starbursts? JoeAE2005, how much have you researched PRK and have you thought about where you might get your procedure done? I'm in the southeast, so if anyone has had the PRK done there let me know where. Let me know what your recruiter says about the whole thing. Aviation is what I want to do, and I need to know what the deal is with PRK. Before applying or after? Thanks.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

JoeAE2005

I'm also in the Southeast, in Daytona Beach, Florida. I do not yet know where I will get my surgery done, because I want to talk to my recruiter (in Jacksonville, FL. His name is Dexter Blackmon) before I do anything, but I cannot seem to get ahold of him, by email or phone.

-Joe

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm in TN. Haven't talked to an Officer Selection Officer yet, but let me know how your interview with yours goes. If you ever get a hold of him. HaHa. Good luck.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

flyinmonkey

Hey EA-6B1 and Joe, I had many of the same questions and concerns as you guys before I had my surgery. Before my surgery, I called my OSO to ask him about the whole before or after issue. I don't know about the Navy but as far as my Marine OSO was concerned, I had to have PRK before I applied for an aviation slot. He said that I could still apply without surgery but only under the ground option, and he said he could not guarantee me an aviation slot after that.

The PRK is supposedly more painful than lasik but that doesn't really matter since PRK is the only option we have. My surgery was relatively painless. During the procedure the surgeon will first give you a pill to relax you. Then they will give you some numbbing drops and lay you down under the laser. Next, a metal piece is placed on your eye that is about the size of your cornea. The surgeon will then start to scrape the first layer of cells off your cornea. I felt a burning sensation when he did this. After that the laser does its thing. The whole time you are trying your best to look straight at the red laser without moving at all. They might have to rinse your eyes a few times between the laser pulses. That just rinses the burnt tissue away. Sounds kind of bad but it isn't painful. The last part of the surgery is to put the bandage contacts on. I was fortunate and left right after the surgery was completed.

To begin with my eyes were very sensitive to light and I had halos and starbursts. The first few weeks you will probably experience some pain but always try to keep focused on our main goal, flying.

Now, my eyes are basically just the same as they were before surgery as far as sensitivity. It has been a little over 2 months now and other than having awesome vision, I can't even tell anything was done to my eyes. On my last check-up the doctor said that she could not even tell I had surgery except for looking at the records. PRK is simply amazing if all instructions are followed.

Hope this helps some and keep me informed.

Steven

JoeAE2005

Thanks for the info flyinmonkey! I'll be getting my PRK done right after I get out of school, around the end of April. I talked to my recruiter, he said that was fine, didn't really tell me anything new.

Flyinmonkey, did you get both of your eyes done at the same time, or seperately?

flyinmonkey

I had both of my eyes done at the same time. I figured I might as well take the pain and inconvience all at once and not draw it out. I am also in a time crunch trying to get accepted to the first training increment this summer. Since, you have to wait 3 months after surgery before you can get your eyes checked for military purposes, I had to get them both done or I would have been over the deadline.

Steven

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Do you know where I can find a good PRK surgeon? I've been told that Canada's a good place to go since they've been doing it longer than the US and they're cheaper. I live in Buffalo New York so I'm only like 2 feet from the border. Where'd you go flyinmonkey?

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm in good 'ol TN. That's a little further than 2 feet from Canada. Anything in my neck of the woods?

Maverick: "Slider... (sniff sniff)... you stink."
- Lt. Pete Mitchell, Top Gun -

jaerose

What do you all think of this...I've been 20/20 the last two times I've gotten mine checked and the last time was last summer by the MEPS people. I used to be 20/15, but it's deteriorated since high school...I'm guessing thanks to computer dependancy for school, but they feel like they just get worse. Some days they're fuzzy, but others they're fine. I go to OCS August 2, 2003, so should I look into it, or should I just try the eye exercises to stop the deterioration? Thanks.

JR

flyinmonkey

I had my surgery done at Discover Vision Center in Kansas City. They are very well organized and professional. The first eye evaluation is free and you walk away with all your questions answered. They really impressed me and I highly recommend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.