• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

When is a good time?

Tiltedsky

pilot
I got my commission in May (Navy) and I am heading to P-cola for API this fall. At what point in the aviation pipeline is a good point to apply for DCA for the CG? I saw that the CG had a 500 hour minimum time and I already have 350+ hours as a civilian. I also know that everything hinges on whether I get helos or not which is also a concern. Is DCA an option right now or is this something I should look at a few years from now.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Eh, I wouldn't go around saying you want out immediately after showing up. I think you need to have your initial winging commitment with the Navy up before you can go CG via DCA... There might be a thread or two on DCA that have the info you need. Hopefully one of the Coasties will chime in for you.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I got my commission in May (Navy) and I am heading to P-cola for API this fall. At what point in the aviation pipeline is a good point to apply for DCA for the CG? I saw that the CG had a 500 hour minimum time and I already have 350+ hours as a civilian. I also know that everything hinges on whether I get helos or not which is also a concern. Is DCA an option right now or is this something I should look at a few years from now.

Easy cowboy...

You can't DCA to CG from the DOD. CG is DHS. You have to be out of ALL active duty committments...meaning if you had school paid for, you won't be able to DCA until 4 yrs for a SWO, 5/6 for Subs and 8 from wings for aviation.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Last I checked (and you can call your local CG recruiter), before going DCA in the Coast Guard you need a letter in your hand saying your service will let you go. I'm guessing your service will want to get every drop of blood squeezed out of you for all of that great training you are receiving. In the past, you could move into flying orange helicopters a bit quicker as the DOD was cutting back on billets in certain specialties. I know of a senior officer who trained in helos in the Navy and three months after showing up to his first unit they told him and a bunch of other JO's to look for other work (the early 90's), but things have changed with needs of the DOD.

Also, keep your desires on the down low, keep doing research, and if you aren't having fun flying in a few years get your ducks in a row and see if you still want to fly for the CG.