• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patbrown08

I found out not too long ago that I will be heading to Corpus for advanced. I was hoping I could get a little preview of what to expect down there. Are there any major differences between the C12 and the T44? Who goes to which type of aircraft? What is the basic outline of the curriculum down there? Are the seats as uncomfortable as those in the T34? Where is a good place to live with a family down there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Friends don't let friends fly T-tails. Who knows who goes to what. I'm in the T-44 squadron and it seems to be pretty laid back. The TC-12 guys have it a little rougher, but the plane is a little newer. The basic routine... couldn't tell you that... fams then ri's then ??? (I'm E2/C2). The seats are comfortable, and actually in the sims they're even better. Can't help you with a good place to live. Like everywhere else there are the good spots and bad spots, and it's more or less a matter of opportunity when you get here. Good luck.

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
When I showed up they asked me whether I wanted TC-12s or T-44s. I went with the TC-12. I don't think it matters which you choose. The C-12 sim is visual, and I found that quite helpful. Also, you'll get a type rating out of it since it's heavier than the T-44.

As far as the advanced training curriculum you'll do you ground school stuff (systems, weight & balance, instruments, etc.), and for the flight syllabus check this out:

http://www.baseops.net/t44/

patbrown08

Thanks for the link and the heads up. What are the major differences between the squadrons? I have heard conflicting things about the attitudes in the different squadrons.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Slightly off topic..

How's the wait for housing in Corpus?

Seems like putting a family on the economy just for 6 months is just a bit much to ask...?

I hate government housing, but, think would be easier to move in and out than renting on the outside.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, I am sufficiently far enough removed from my days in Advanced, that I will leave the details to others that are there, but certain things don't change.

- You get teamed up with a FAM partner, your flights are longer in the plane, and there are two of you to one instructor. While your friend is flying, you are sitting behind them in the pax seats. You work on the brief together, the IP may ask questions specifically at you, but you can work that system to your advantage.
- KNOW YOUR PREFLIGHT CHECKLISTS! Spend time in the sim, you can schedule it, or go out to one of the maint birds (that can be HOT!). And work on your switchology (where was that damn boost pump switch?!?) and your response items (the proper response it "CHECKED, SET") etc... Going through those checklists with your fam partner will save you ALOT of grief and time later on. You will get your groundschool study aid, and read through it, then sched some time, and go run through the checklists! A required item for your first CBT BTW... unless too much has changed...
- T44 GOUGE: When I went through there was an inch thick T44 gouge book floating around, I got mine at Kinkos I think, but ask the SNAs ahead of you, might save you some time.
- FAM CASES: Memorize and know the different cases, ie you lost an engine on climbout, at crosswind, on downwind, at the 180, and on final. Read through the books and get that material down, will save you grief in the plane.
- OLFs: Take a look a the outlying fields when you have time, look up the distances and where they are located, ie, you fly down to the valley (Valley of the DOWNS, haha), or head up to San Antonio, etc. There are fields that are TOO SHORT to land at!! Be aware of that, IPs will let you take it all the way in, and then take controls from you, so know which fields are good and not, make it apart of your approach brief if you havent already. Look at the approaches to some of the airfields you will be flying to (especially in the valley, ie Brownsville), you finish one approach and is straight onto another one with short vectors, be prepared.
- Take lots of water with you to the plane, especially in the summer time, it is hot in the T34, but the T44 and C12 are OVENS until you get the damn AC on. I also brought a small towel to wipe my face off, good old 113 degree Corpus weather!
- LEFT AND RIGHT RUNWAYS!!! Read back those clearances and don't land on the incorrect runway!
- Course rules, a joke compared to the complex ones at Whiting...
- SIM sucks, no visuals, or motion (T44 I am talking about), but still all the stuff you need to work on instrument wise and to get those EPs down.
- CRM!! Cockpit/Crew Resource Management, work together to solve problems, the IP will help you out to an extent.
- Purchase an AIM/FAR and a highlighter, a lot of your briefing material that you need to know is in that book. Mine was dog earred and highlighted/written in by the end of training. Alot of the IPs are getting out to go to the airlines (or were, haha, or maybe not so haha), and are studying this while getting ready to take their tests.
- IPs ARE SNEAKY! While they don't want to get a flight violation, in many cases while you are task saturated, through center or approach will let you get far afield of where you are supposed to be. A lot of those controllers KNOW what you are going through, and some are sadastic and will gleefully give you short vectors as you hop from one approach to the next (front course LOC to backcourse anyone?). Importance of knocking out your approach briefs quickly and logically, while handling in flight malfs... OH JOY!

There is probably more, but can't think of it at the moment. Best advice as always is getting the gouge from fellow students ahead of you. All in all, a good time, and you probably will NEVER be that good of an instrument pilot again, until you go back there as an IP (if you do). The best is finally getting those wings at your winging party! Have fun.

As for Corpus, there are a variety of places to live, and I honestly (unlike Pcola) don't have any recommendations for you. I did not like Corpus at all (it did have highspeed internet though). Good thing is to go up to Kelly or Randolph in San Antonio for the weekend, you can get the BOQ rooms up there for cheap for the weekend, and enjoy the riverwalk.

I'll dig around, maybe I can find some of my T44 gouge...

Differences between the two? Main one already mentioned about the type rating. Then again, you get to go fly a P3, so go figure.... AF IPs are in both squadrons, so you won't get away from them in VT31. AF IPs just LOVE to quote equations on you, and have you compute the VDP or how far the radials are apart on your approach, ie what are you going to lead with, etc... I went through 31 and enjoyed flying the 44, I have heard the same about the C12, whichever floats your boat I guess...

jaerose

If you don't mind a bit of a drive...South Padre Island is really nice...if not windy. It's 40-45 minutes...depending on how you drive. I'm still awaiting OCS in August of this year, but I've been to SPI twice for spring break...I liked it.

JR

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anybody in VT-31 seen LT (actually I think LCDR now) Beau Whitten? (bald guy, never mad, often found at Farah's or in the back of Sharkey's) He was my on-wing, and my latest 2P also had him. Whatta guy. I'd love to track him down. I heard he's doing the reserve thing, but I'm not sure if he's up in Whidbey again or still in Corp-ass.

Jeff

Just looked at that sight Machine left the link to, and I am just wondering what TAC FORM in the T-44 is exactly?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guys going on to C-130 (USMC/USAF) fly "Tactical" Formation flights at low level. VNAV, very basic simulated airdrops, etc. One of those guys knows more I'm sure.

I had a Marine buddy almost get downed once by some USAF dude who said his chart prep was unsat for one of those TAC flights. Turned out okay though, they never sent the kid to the groundschool seminar for it, schedule glitch.

Demento

Old Salt
Multi Engine

patbrown08 said:
I found out not too long ago that I will be heading to Corpus for advanced. I was hoping I could get a little preview of what to expect down there. Are there any major differences between the C12 and the T44? Who goes to which type of aircraft? What is the basic outline of the curriculum down there? Are the seats as uncomfortable as those in the T34? Where is a good place to live with a family down there?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

This took me a little while to find. Looks like the Multi Engine curriculum layout is available via official channels.

Try this link.

https://cnatra.navaltx.navy.mil/cnatra/instruct.htm

Scroll down to: 1542.147 Advanced Multi-Engine MPTS Curriculum

What will pop up is a .pdf file of the curriculum.

Not sure if that helps to answer your question. Best of luck.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Demento said:
This took me a little while to find. Looks like the Multi Engine curriculum layout is available via official channels.

Try this link.

https://cnatra.navaltx.navy.mil/cnatra/instruct.htm

Scroll down to: 1542.147 Advanced Multi-Engine MPTS Curriculum

What will pop up is a .pdf file of the curriculum.

Not sure if that helps to answer your question. Best of luck.

AH, just wonder if you noticed the date on his original post? NOV 2002
:p Good link though.

Status
Not open for further replies.