• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What to emphasize in letters of rec

gilbertboys

Hello everyone, I am seeking a commission through NOCS in the intel or supply communities and am wondering if there is anything my letter writers should focus on other than general academic ability, work ethic and patriotism.

Additionally, I feel I have some strong writers but am wondering how much they will give me a leg up.
1. Active Duty Army O-4
2. Retired Army E-9
3. Former college professor and undergraduate thesis advisor, close relationship.

Thank you.

Sadly don't have any connections to the navy that are higher than E-6 so no connections there.

exNavyOffRec

It really depends how well they are written, Intel and Supply look at those and if they are just general "he is a good guy" probably won't help at all, if they talk about how they have seen you work over time and have supervised you directly it could help. The biggest thing is going to be your degree and GPA.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The entire purpose of a letter of recommendation is for someone to verify your "work", whether that's an actual job, classes, or some sort of extracurricular activity. While LORs can help for certain programs, they aren't intended to be that silver bullet that leverages you over others who might have a better GPA and/or OAR score.

For supply and intel, a good GPA complemented with a good OAR score will get you further than some LORs.

gilbertboys

The entire purpose of a letter of recommendation is for someone to verify your "work", whether that's an actual job, classes, or some sort of extracurricular activity. While LORs can help for certain programs, they aren't intended to be that silver bullet that leverages you over others who might have a better GPA and/or OAR score.

For supply and intel, a good GPA complemented with a good OAR score will get you further than some LORs.
got it, thank you.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Hello everyone, I am seeking a commission through NOCS in the intel or supply communities and am wondering if there is anything my letter writers should focus on other than general academic ability, work ethic and patriotism.

Additionally, I feel I have some strong writers but am wondering how much they will give me a leg up.
1. Active Duty Army O-4
2. Retired Army E-9
3. Former college professor and undergraduate thesis advisor, close relationship.

Thank you.

Sadly don't have any connections to the navy that are higher than E-6 so no connections there.
I had one focus on MOS proficiency, one on community outreach and rapport, and the other was an 06 as a direct supervisor who threw away my template and wrote his own letter. I tried to build the whole picture and was picked up for Intel. Mine were from an O4, O5, and O6. Shoot me a PM.

taxi1

pilot
The Navy is upfront about what they are looking for in candidates. You want letters of rec that tell a board they've seen those things in you, at least the promise of it. Backed up with facts if possible. No mystery novels,