• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What should I do to maximize my chances of being selected to be a Naval Aviator from NROTC?

MemphisBell

pilot
When applying for OCS, you can put pilot only and if you are not selected you can try again. With ROTC, after a certain point, you are committed to serving in whatever community they select you for. If you only want to be a pilot, my advise would be to study you ass off for the ASTB and apply OCS. If you want the navy to pay for college and don't really care where you go, pick ROTC.

Bob Tyler

Personally my priorities are service 1st, pilot second. Still want to maximize my chances but if the Navy feels they want me somewhere else then so be it.

On another note I hear about getting grades up, what is an ideal GPA to shoot For? I understand obviously I want to shoot for the highest possible, but what is the standard college GPA for aviators? I also read that the navy takes your major and school into account as well (Gatech AE is well known for being tough but I won't let that stop me).

I also read that while the Academy, NROTCs, and OCS commission (I don't know if that's the right word here) the same amount of officers, statistically NROTC sends more people to aviation . Any basis to that?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Personally my priorities are service 1st, pilot second. Still want to maximize my chances but if the Navy feels they want me somewhere else then so be it.

On another note I hear about getting grades up, what is an ideal GPA to shoot For? I understand obviously I want to shoot for the highest possible, but what is the standard college GPA for aviators? I also read that the navy takes your major and school into account as well (Gatech AE is well known for being tough but I won't let that stop me).

I also read that while the Academy, NROTCs, and OCS commission (I don't know if that's the right word here) the same amount of officers, statistically NROTC sends more people to aviation . Any basis to that?
Dude, quit sweating the stats. Get the best grades you can. Do you know what the best grade you can get is? 4.0. Having better grades makes your chances better.

Bob Tyler

Dude, quit sweating the stats. Get the best grades you can. Do you know what the best grade you can get is? 4.0. Having better grades makes your chances better.

You're right lol, plus I'm starting sophomore year so I have plenty of time to raise that GPA.

MemphisBell

pilot
Pags is right. Don't sweat it to much. I would probably just aim for 3.0 or higher. We had a SNA in my OCS class that was selected with a 2.5. Also, I think the board cares that you have a college degree and not where it is from and what it is in. I know guys who got a online bachelors in 1.5 years, applied, and got accepted for pilot. What the board really cares about is your ASTB scores. Seems like the trend for the past few years is a 6/6/6 will get you a SNA slot for OCS.

Bob Tyler

Pags is right. Don't sweat it to much. I would probably just aim for 3.0 or higher. We had a SNA in my OCS class that was selected with a 2.5. Also, I think the board cares that you have a college degree and not where it is from and what it is in. I know guys who got a online bachelors in 1.5 years, applied, and got accepted for pilot. What the board really cares about is your ASTB scores. Seems like the trend for the past few years is a 6/6/6 will get you a SNA slot for OCS.

Gotcha, I've started some studying for the ASTB ahead of time.

This also reminds me that I need to schedule a meeting with a recruiter as well about OCS (in case NROTC falls through)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Historically, a 3.0 GPA and 6/6/6 will get you a pilot slot for ROTC, assuming all your bits work in accordance with NAMI's parameters.

Meow

pilot
Current NROTC instructor and former helo bubba here.

First off, talk with your aviation advisor about your plans.

Second, how do you feel about the Marines? Right now Marine option mids can guarantee a flight school spot if they get minimum ASTB scores and qualify medically.

Third, I second the don't sweat the stats comment. The board considers four things: your grades, your ASTB scores, your PRT score, and your aptitude score (basically your ranking and a reflection of good of a guy/gal you are). Nearly all of those are within your control and all you can do is your best. Study hard, work out hard, be a positive force in your unit, and see how the cards fall out.

Fourth, you don't have to list SWO but you do have to list one nuke preference (submarines or SWO-N).

Regarding USNA vs. NROTC - I seem to remember seeing some recent numbers and it's about even. But again, you can't do anything about that.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bob Tyler

Current NROTC instructor and former helo bubba here.

First off, talk with your aviation advisor about your plans.

Second, how do you feel about the Marines? Right now Marine option mids can guarantee a flight school spot if they get minimum ASTB scores and qualify medically.

Third, I second the don't sweat the stats comment. The board considers four things: your grades, your ASTB scores, your PRT score, and your aptitude score (basically your ranking and a reflection of good of a guy/gal you are). Nearly all of those are within your control and all you can do is your best. Study hard, work out hard, be a positive force in your unit, and see how the cards fall out.

Fourth, you don't have to list SWO but you do have to list one nuke preference (submarines or SWO-N).

Regarding USNA vs. NROTC - I seem to remember seeing some recent numbers and it's about even. But again, you can't do anything about that.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sorry for late reply, I did not get your reply in my gmail and I had a rather hectic weekend.

I have considered Marines and it is honestly is very tempting. But I've felt a stronger calling to the Navy (mainly Navy EW squadrons specifically the Growler though strikers are awesome). As of now I'm meeting with both advisers as I've continued to prepare myself physically (and work on my grades obviously). Thanks for everyone for your input, I should be set for the most part and will update here once I talk to my adviser. Current plan is NROTC over OCS but if NROTC isn't an option then OCS all the way.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Sorry for late reply, I did not get your reply in my gmail and I had a rather hectic weekend.

I have considered Marines and it is honestly is very tempting. But I've felt a stronger calling to the Navy (mainly Navy EW squadrons specifically the Growler though strikers are awesome). As of now I'm meeting with both advisers as I've continued to prepare myself physically (and work on my grades obviously). Thanks for everyone for your input, I should be set for the most part and will update here once I talk to my adviser. Current plan is NROTC over OCS but if NROTC isn't an option then OCS all the way.
Go NROTC. Why wouldn't you? Smartest thing I ever did in my life.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Go NROTC. Why wouldn't you? Smartest thing I ever did in my life.

Agreed, but from my experience getting a 2-year scholarship/Advanced Standing is difficult and additionally he is competing against current non-scholarship Midshipmen (the walk-on's essentially) who are vying for the same thing.

If he can get the scholarship, great! If not, see an OR and submit a package 12 months from graduating.

Bob Tyler

Update

I talked to the NROTC advisor, I worked out that, while I cannot get into the program this semester, I can start taking the classes so if I do get into the program within the next two semesters I will be caught up on my classes. Based on my extra circulars, GPA, and class schedule, I have a good chance of getting advanced standing/a scholarship within the required time frame if I send in my app for the spring semester 2018/fall 2018.

zachrogers80

Hello I am new to this forum, I just have a couple of questions.
If I wanted to become a fighter pilot would I have a better chance going into the Air Force or going into the Navy as a Naval Aviator. I would probably go the OCS route after college.

Also what is the commitment length for a Air Force pilot compared to a Naval Aviator?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello I am new to this forum, I just have a couple of questions.
If I wanted to become a fighter pilot would I have a better chance going into the Air Force or going into the Navy as a Naval Aviator. I would probably go the OCS route after college.

Also what is the commitment length for a Air Force pilot compared to a Naval Aviator?

Good evening! Your answers can be found with a simple search around the AWs and google.

As for selection, it varies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, someone more current correct me if I'm wrong, but if I had anyone come up to me on the street tomorrow and tell me they were quitting NROTC and applying to OCS for an aviation slot, I'd tell them they were on crack, and to put it down and sign the drug waiver. USNA and NROTC are the Navy's two guaranteed sources for every year's quota of unrestricted line officers, whatever BUPERS says that is. Whatever's left gets filled in at OCS. So for a given year group, if you want an aviation slot, your best bet is to start early and get in NROTC or (God forbid) USNA. Otherwise, you're fighting over the scraps that NROTC and USNA couldn't fill for whatever Big Navy's quota was that year.

And if you want to be a fighter guy, great. So did a whole bunch of 18-year-olds before you (including me before I discovered Prowlers. I wanted to be a Tomcat guy when I commissioned; I got better later on). Set yourself up for Plan B and Plan C. In other words, what other platform do you want if you can't be a fighter guy? And what college major do you want if you can't serve period? That way, if you get fighters, great. But if you change your mind, don't make the cut, or get screwed over by the bureaucrats, you've still got options. Don't set yourself up to be that guy who's bitter about not getting jets, or not getting fighters, AF or Navy. That guy is a huge self-centered douche, and nobody likes him. Heck, nobody likes the fighter guy who's a huge self-centered douche, either. Movies aside, humility is a thing. Confidence != arrogance.

Last edited: