• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What rates does my degree gel with?

ONS2017

I’m graduating with my bachelors in Community Development with a focus in Health Sciences. Think—logistics of healthcare but measuring its effect on the community. A few examples of courses I took are: Death and Dying, Racial Injustice, Community Health, Public Affairs WI. I was looking at HR Officer, PA Officer, or Supply. I have been told I’d make an excellent flight candidate...though I have no idea how much of that is smoke...But either way, not interested.

What exactly is the definition of a SWO? What are the alternatives? Besides piloting? And being a submariner?

What are the criteria for the rates I’m interested in besides the degree portion? Does anyone know what the degree majors were on those who successfully commissioned with these rates? How competitive are each of these? My GPA is decent. I’m confident I’ll be finishing this semester with at least a 3.4 cumulatively. I’d like to eventually finish my masters and move on to medical but not until I’m already finished with OCS and have time in to qualify to use the GI Bill.

Any insight is appreciated.

ONS2017

Maybe Environmental Health Officer? Not sure if that's the path you're looking for, but there's some overlap there. Honestly I hadn't even heard about EHOs until very recently, but you might be interested.

https://www.navy.com/careers/environmental-health

I did look into it and it looks like my program has to be certified under an Environmental Health agency. My school has a program like that, but it isn’t the one I’m in.

Based on if I did try and do the PA route, do you know how similar my degree has to be to being selected for the program? Ami able to put down a few of the designations I’d be willing to do? Or do I have to give a solid choice on one?

ONS2017

Sit down with an OR and talk your options. To answer your question best it simply depends.

I have. It’s confused me more than anything. He let me know he doesn’t usually handle any of the specialty jobs like PAO, Medical etc. so he doesn’t know much.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have. It’s confused me more than anything. He let me know he doesn’t usually handle any of the specialty jobs like PAO, Medical etc. so he doesn’t know much.

Okay. So then ask for a POC who handles those programs. Don’t take “I don’t know” for an answer

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@ONS2017 if you want to use your degree, recommend you consider applying for Medical Service Officer, designator 2300. They work in occupational health, environmental health, etc. The Navy has a medical corps commissioning program where they commission you as an ENS then send you to grad school full time for a master’s/ med school. You would attend ODS at Newport instead of OCS.

If you don’t want to use your degree, you need to go do your own research on the entire list of naval officer designators and figure out what you want to do in the Navy.

Meyerkord

pilot
Keep in mind, PAO is a microscopically small community and their officers tend to come from the enlisted side.

ONS2017

@ONS2017 if you want to use your degree, recommend you consider applying for Medical Service Officer, designator 2300. They work in occupational health, environmental health, etc. The Navy has a medical corps commissioning program where they commission you as an ENS then send you to grad school full time for a master’s/ med school. You would attend ODS at Newport instead of OCS.

If you don’t want to use your degree, you need to go do your own research on the entire list of naval officer designators and figure out what you want to do in the Navy.

Medical Service Officer, designator 2300, isn’t even an option I was offered, or something I saw when researching. I will definitely look more into it, I haven’t thrown out the idea of using my degree yet. Thank you for the info.