• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

AULANI

Good morning. Like everyone else here, I've been considering an officer commission and would appreciate having a second opinion from what my recruiter says regarding how competitive my application will be for the upcoming board, as I've seen it mentioned in here that sometimes recruiters will suggest applying just to fill their officer application quote. If I'm not considered competitive, would anyone here be familiar with the Army's officer standards if my goal is to be an officer?

Degrees (GPA): BS in Economics (3.0, have some CS and Physics background), Masters in Geophysics (incomplete, but about 1 year from completion with a 3.6)
OAR: 63. I haven't taken the ASTB because, to my understanding, any position that requires it I'm ineligible due to age.
Field: Intel

Edit: I have no prior service.
Nice OAR score.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

It's what I was applying for, however, it seems to be moot since my eyes will disqualify me from the Navy completely. Thank you and AULANI for the responses.

Have you gone through MEPS yet or been told by an optometrist or other medical professional to know that for sure? Don't cross Navy off the list until you've made an attempt. :)

JPerin1107

Recruiter has said I have a good chance, however, I could use a second opinion on my eligibility.
  • 22 y/o
  • Software Engineering B.S., GPA 3.29
  • Iowa State University
  • Internship as Software Intern
  • LOR: Prior Manager from Internship, Senior Lecturer (x2)
  • 49 OAR
  • Fields of Interest: IP & INTEL

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Recruiter has said I have a good chance, however, I could use a second opinion on my eligibility.
  • 22 y/o
  • Iowa State University
  • 49 OAR
You should consider applying for 1840 as well.

JPerin1107

You should consider applying for 1840 as well.

That was my 1st Option. CWE gave me an interview, however, it was decided that my education was to broad. I was instructed to get a deeper knowledge of lower level fundamentals and C/C++ and try again later on down the road. For now I thought it would be best to apply for other positions, and then attempt lateral transfer when I'd studied the necessary material / obtained a M.S.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
That was my 1st Option. CWE gave me an interview, however, it was decided that my education was to broad. I was instructed to get a deeper knowledge of lower level fundamentals and C/C++ and try again later on down the road. For now I thought it would be best to apply for other positions, and then attempt lateral transfer when I'd studied the necessary material / obtained a M.S.
Lat transfer likely won’t work. 1840 has a mandatory offramp to 1810 after five years, so I doubt they’d be able to take a LTJG or LT.

You could apply for 1810 and try to get in with the 1840 crowd without actually being one.

AULANI

• 22 y/o
  • Iowa State University
  • 49 OAR
Eligibility or competitiveness?

If I remember correctly from my days on OHARP I believe you had to get at least a 50 on the OAR to be eligible for intel.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
  • 22 y/o
  • Iowa State University
  • 49 OAR

Your GPA is average and your OAR score isn’t much stellar. I mean sure go ahead and apply but I would encourage opening your options to other programs like SWO and even aviation.

swmonroe88

pilot
Prior service USMC enlisted aircrew
71 9/9/9
3.25 GPA, Aerospace Engineering from USC
30 years old.

Applying SNA. I should be sitting fairly comfortably, no?

AULANI

They can request an OAR waiver which typically gets approved...
Shit, I didn't know that. The LT in my shop told me if anyone gets below a 50 they need to retake. Granted I never saw someone right on the cusp. Usually they either got 55+ or in the 30s.