• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

MtWestMan

Just took the ASTB, and the recruiting office told me it was reasonably competitive, but I have to get my eyes fixed and wait 6 months to apply. Hoping to get in by the Sept. board but am considering retaking to improve my score.

No prior military.
OAR: 56
AQR/PFAR/FOFAR: 6/7/7
Degree: BA Communiciations
Undergraduate GPA: 3.7

Should I just go for it with these scores? Looks like I'm dead average with the results submitted on the spreadsheets.

Thanks

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Just took the ASTB, and the recruiting office told me it was reasonably competitive, but I have to get my eyes fixed and wait 6 months to apply. Hoping to get in by the Sept. board but am considering retaking to improve my score.

No prior military.
OAR: 56
AQR/PFAR/FOFAR: 6/7/7
Degree: BA Communiciations
Undergraduate GPA: 3.7

Should I just go for it with these scores? Looks like I'm dead average with the results submitted on the spreadsheets.

Thanks
6 month's after surgery you get a checkup, then submit to N3M, then you would get cleared and so you are looking at more like Oct/Nov time frame.

exNavyOffRec

Are flight hours weighed pretty heavily? I have a commercial rating and 304 total

What RG said...... from my district the higher number of flight hours was a direct correlation to higher chance of washing out, my guess it was having a hard time trying to do it the way the USN wanted vice how they were originally taught.

Tgonzo29

I've heard that theory, but I've also heard guys who have a lot of prior flight time absolutely crush it early on in training

exNavyOffRec

I've heard that theory, but I've also heard guys who have a lot of prior flight time absolutely crush it early on in training

well, every person that I know who had a CFI/multi/etc.... from my NRD was dropped at some point in training, there were several that had a handful of flight hours that are in the fleet flying. I am sure there are a few that had various ratings that did make it through from my NRD, I may have not reviewed their application, even though I reviewed most.

exNavyOffRec

Which is stupid, IMHO...

Let's see... Someone with a 3.1 in chemical engineering or someone with a 3.8 in some b.s. major like psychology/business/etc...

I should have mentioned they had similar degrees, your example would indeed be stupid for the board to do, of course I am sure they have.......

grizzi17

Not really.

Good ASTB with no flight time > average ASTB with flight time
Please correct me if I’m wrong. Doesn’t this change over time though? An OR told me that there have been boards in the past where almost anyone with a PPL was picked up as long as they had average GPAS/ASTBs. Also, if the ASTB is the only thing that matters(which is one of the main theories here), why calculate GPA or why is there an option to report previous flight experience when you submit your package? Is it to separate candidates with similar ASTB scores?

exNavyOffRec

Please correct me if I’m wrong. Doesn’t this change over time though? An OR told me that there have been boards in the past where almost anyone with a PPL was picked up as long as they had average GPAS/ASTBs. Also, if the ASTB is the only thing that matters(which is one of the main theories here), why calculate GPA or why is there an option to report previous flight experience when you submit your package? Is it to separate candidates with similar ASTB scores?

that isn't surprising since nearly everyone I saw take the ASTB that had a PPL did fairly decent, I did see a few who hit minimums on the ASTB, one had a CFI/multi rating but he didn't make it through the pipeline.

dschiffel

Hey everyone, I just took the ASTB on Friday 3/13 for the first time. I am looking to apply to the october/november boards for pilot (waiting for eye surgery recovery). My recruiter put my scores and GPA into the calculator and I got 87 pilot and 89 NFO. I know if I increase my OAR to 60 and get 7/7/7 it'll bump that 87 to a 92 pilot score. Should I attempt a retest to get a 60 7/7/7 before the board in the Fall? Or see if I get accepted, and then retest if they want a higher score?
ASTB: 55 - 6/7/7
No prior military.
Lots of extracurricular leadership roles involving coaching and building my own business
Degree: BA Marketing
Undergraduate GPA: 3.0 (missed a semester due to sports injury rehab)

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone, I just took the ASTB on Friday 3/13 for the first time. I am looking to apply to the october/november boards for pilot (waiting for eye surgery recovery). My recruiter put my scores and GPA into the calculator and I got 87 pilot and 89 NFO. I know if I increase my OAR to 60 and get 7/7/7 it'll bump that 87 to a 92 pilot score. Should I attempt a retest to get a 60 7/7/7 before the board in the Fall? Or see if I get accepted, and then retest if they want a higher score?
No prior military.
Lots of extracurricular leadership roles involving coaching and building my own business

If you look back and search the calculator is no longer used.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
No prior military.

The calculator is known more as a guide instead of an instrument. Plus, it hasn't been updated to reflect the new-ish ASTB requirements for Aviation.

dschiffel

The calculator is known more as a guide instead of an instrument. Plus, it hasn't been updated to reflect the new-ish ASTB requirements for Aviation.
ahh, ok. so i shouldn't put too much emphasis on that then? obviously the higher test scores the better, but are they competitive? recruiter said they were a bit above average and ive searched some forums here looking for scores and acceptance rates, but the threads seem to be deep in the archives or ive just missed them.
also, would like to know how "holistic" is the board process. do they take into account a whole person type of picture / package. or heavy focus on scores and grades ?