• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What NRC considers competitive

exNavyOffRec

Hey all,

So I want to go for CW/IP... and 3rd but dont really want is intel

BAS Information Technology with CyberSec focus - Cumulative GPA 3.2 Degree GPA 4.0 - I had previous schooling in early 2000's with different school than degree that i didnt finish my degree but ended with a gpa that heavily tanked my cumulative in relation to recent studies.
OAR: 59
LOR: Senior Lecturers from my recent school, former managers
I plan to have strong motivation statement detailing a bit about life struggles and how my recent schooling with 4.0 degree with IT shows i matured greatly since my younger days also detailing leadership and experience from civ job.

Civilian Experience: Worked as a network engineer for a major IT company for 5-6 years. Also earned some networking Certifications such as CCNA. Will be getting CompTIA Security+ within the next month.

Do you think im pretty competitive?

Those designators are very competitive, your GPA is below the average selection (3.5) as they look at overall GPA not major GPA, I would say you have a better chance than several I have seen, but without knowing if your degree included calc and physics I can't say much more.

Pawlus

I'm Looking for some insight on my chances.

Applying SNA only
24 year old
BS in Interdisciplinary studies Degree GPA 3.2 Overall Gpa 2.6
Currently enlisted Air Force with less than a year on contract, would apply for conditional release.
ASTB 49 5/7/6

I've contacted a recruiter. After talking to her, she suggested I retake the ASTB, however she stop responding to me. Maybe she thought I wasn't competitive enough. Any advice would help, should I retake the ASTB or try applying with my scores, and find a new recruiter? Also I'm in the North Carolina, Goldsboro area if anyone knows a recruiter.
I am liking my chances Applying for SNA\SNFO
28 Year old
Active E-4, AE3(VFC-12)
2 Years of Service(Joined APR17)
OAR\ASTB=51 5,6,6
Waiting on medical to sign off (nothing wrong just another step) -> then can get CO's endorsement -> then LOR's (already have been networking with pilots in my command)
2.6 GPA from CSU-Pueblo in Computer Information of Systems
MP,MP,MP evals
How do I stack up???

From my research and looking around for a few hours my GPA is a little worrisome. I am applying for the Pilot and NFO billets and being that they are somewhat open, I am thinking I should be OK, but wanted another option.
https://federalnewsnetwork.com/navy...p-by-2023-but-then-the-real-challenge-begins/
https://www.13newsnow.com/article/n...erns/291-9a57e1b9-9fb0-477a-af5e-84366bb0491b
Things like airliners poaching pilots and the navy lowering their standards to the point where their is no GPA requirements on the program authorization for pilot and NFO.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...-pilot-shortage-one-in-four-billets-is-empty/

Last edited:

stan10

I graduated in May this year with a B.S Mechanical Engineering (3.16 GPA). Just took my ASTB and got a 57 7/7/7. What are my chances of becoming a pilot? I am 22 and have yet to go through MEPS (this is assuming I am cleared).
I also have 3 letters of recommendation but they are from people with no military background if that affects anything.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
swNN4yD.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

0ed.gif

3410350.gif

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I graduated in May this year with a B.S Mechanical Engineering (3.16 GPA). Just took my ASTB and got a 57 7/7/7. What are my chances of becoming a pilot? I am 22 and have yet to go through MEPS (this is assuming I am cleared).
I also have 3 letters of recommendation but they are from people with no military background if that affects anything.
as @picklesuit would say, 42%

Joshua 631625

I have a couple of questions on what is considered competitive when it comes to applying for supply officer. I am currently serving on active duty and have been in for eight years. I have been sailor/aircrewman of the year multiple times and my most recent evils are ep ep mp. The last one was my first evaluation as a first class. My oar score was a 43 which is admittedly lower than I wanted it to be but I did finish my degree with a 3.94 gpa. I have four nams good conducts. Do you think that I would have a chance at getting selected or will I have to get a higher oar score. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know the pickup rate for supply?

BroskiOCS

I have a couple of questions on what is considered competitive when it comes to applying for supply officer. I am currently serving on active duty and have been in for eight years. I have been sailor/aircrewman of the year multiple times and my most recent evils are ep ep mp. The last one was my first evaluation as a first class. My oar score was a 43 which is admittedly lower than I wanted it to be but I did finish my degree with a 3.94 gpa. I have four nams good conducts. Do you think that I would have a chance at getting selected or will I have to get a higher oar score. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know the pickup rate for supply?
According to the PA, you are not eligible to apply. Active duty applicants can not have more than 8 years total service.

BroskiOCS

Although not eligible for supply, you seem like a great candidate for SWO.

Joshua 631625

Although not eligible for supply, you seem like a great candidate for SWO.
Thank you for the feedback. I wish that I knew more about life as a SWO. I am currently a naval aircrewman so I haven’t had a lot of opportunities to talk to anyone except for pilot and nfo’s which can tell me a little bit about it but not fully what to expect if I was to get picked up. Do you know of any good feeds on here to speak with swo’s So I can actually find out what it is like/

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you for the feedback. I wish that I knew more about life as a SWO. I am currently a naval aircrewman so I haven’t had a lot of opportunities to talk to anyone except for pilot and nfo’s which can tell me a little bit about it but not fully what to expect if I was to get picked up. Do you know of any good feeds on here to speak with swo’s So I can actually find out what it is like/

You need to learn how to find resources on your own. You already showed poor leg work by not looking up Supply Corps eligibility, don't be doing the same for looking up "life as a SWO".

There's A TON of SWO information on here and elsewhere.

Joshua 631625

You need to learn how to find resources on your own. You already showed poor leg work by not looking up Supply Corps eligibility, don't be doing the same for looking up "life as a SWO".

There's A TON of SWO information on here and elsewhere.
Thanks for the feedback. You are correct in the statement that I showed poor legwork on the supply portion. After I posted I found the pa for it and realized that the feed that I found on here was outdated information. And it never hurts to ask a question to see if someone else found information on a related topic. A lot of the info that I have found in my searches have been official naval recruiting or from other rates sharing information on what they know about it.

Last edited:
First post! I finally finished up my packet and I'm applying for IP and SWO.
GPA: 3.33 Management Information Systems
OAR: 54
LOR: 3 including COO of company I worked for.
Currently enrolled in a Cyber Security master's program. Security+ certified and working on CySA+.
Former general manager with 5 years of management experience.

BigRisk54

I am in for the November board of this year (applying for SWO).
GPA: 3.06 in Kinesiology (not a traditional stem, but i have had calculus and currently taking physics).
OAR: 47
LOR: 7, which include my Boy Scout leader, former pastor at church, retired USAF major that i use to work with, retired E-9 from the army, owner of the company i work for, manager of the company i work for, and my mentor from an internship i had.
Experience: Well, I have been in leadership positions in my extracurricular activities if that counts.

TR_9124

Second post, but the IWC Board 02 Dec thread is not very active.

Submitting my package by the end of the week, but throwing my package stats on here for reference/criticism/comparison:

28 Years Old
IS1 (IW/EXW/PJ) 9.5 years active
Multiple deployments with a JSOTF as an IS, intimately familiar with all aspects of the IWC as represented through my evals and LoRs
Bachelors: Homeland Security- 3.92 GPA
Masters: Intelligence Management - Just Started
OAR/ASTB: 48 6/8/7
Appraisals: 3x O-6 1830's
LoRs: O-8 (1830), O-5 (O-6 select 1830) - Directly worked with both and received personal endorsements
Applying for: 1830 and 11605 (SWO-IW Option)

AULANI

Second post, but the IWC Board 02 Dec thread is not very active.

Submitting my package by the end of the week, but throwing my package stats on here for reference/criticism/comparison:

28 Years Old
IS1 (IW/EXW/PJ) 9.5 years active
Multiple deployments with a JSOTF as an IS, intimately familiar with all aspects of the IWC as represented through my evals and LoRs
Bachelors: Homeland Security- 3.92 GPA
Masters: Intelligence Management - Just Started
OAR/ASTB: 48 6/8/7
Appraisals: 3x O-6 1830's
LoRs: O-8 (1830), O-5 (O-6 select 1830) - Directly worked with both and received personal endorsements
Applying for: 1830 and 11605 (SWO-IW Option)

Nice GPA but that major... also what is that Master's program?

If I'm not mistaken you have to get at least a 50 on the OAR for Intel. Maybe it's different for active duty personnel. Either way, that OAR score is kinda low. As a prior IS1 myself, good luck!