• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is the point of the ASTB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiver

When my recruiter first mentioned this test, um yesterday, he didn't really explain its purpose. It seems to deal a lot with aviation, but as an intelligence officer, which is what I'm shooting for, why would this be of concern? Do they want all officers to have an understanding of aeronautics since this is the foundation on which the modern navy is built? Just how much do we have to know? Is everyone expected to know the exact inner workings of a plane? And just how many points are possible on the test anyway? Everyone is writing that they got a 50 or 35 or 47, but this is meaningless to me because I haven't a clue as to what is considered an excellent score.

lol, on another note, I'm going insane! A question on the commission application reads "Can you swim 50 feet underwater?" and I was aghast when I came upon it. I live in western Wisconsin, the deepest body of water around here is like 20 feet! I just now realized that the question is asking about 50 horizontal feet, not vertical feet. Duh. There was a time once when I thought I was smart...that time has now passed.

Finally, does every OCSer have to swim?! How far is 50 yards in a pool? Gar, I have so much to learn.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
While its true the ASTB is an aviation qualifier exam, the Navy also culles the OAR (Officer Aptitude Rating) score out of it, which determines if you have the, um, aptitude to be an Officer. Look for the Marine study guide on this site as a prep, its great gouge.

As for scores, there is technically no minimum passing score. However, to be considered for further processing a MINIMUM of 40 is needed. But realistically you need an OAR in the 50's or 60's to be competitive.

"Does every OCSer have to swim?"......Lady, its the Navy, what do you think? I know mama said there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I'm seriously questioning the validity of that statement now. HAHA just kidding. Search this site, you'll find all you need to know.

Hmmm, turns out you're a she.
banghead_125.gif
so I went ape**** on the editing.Fun.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is call the Aviation Selection Test Battery because years ago, even before my time, the Naval Aeromedical Institute developed the test. They were the only navy organization at the time with the brainiacs that could do the job. As stated, it is designed in parts so they can get a score for non aviation types. But to answer your specific question, yes, as an Intel officer you have to know about aviation, though not to the extent of pilots and NFOs. Not too long ago the navy hired Air Intel Officers specificely to serve in squadrons and aviation organizations. These days any Intel officer can serve in an aviation unit so you need to know the basics so you can talk to the aviators and recognize their needs.

Daedalus

Have you ever watched swimming in the Olympics? Those pools are 50 yards. Most public pools for swim teams and the like are half that so 2 laps makes 50 yards. As for swimming underwater, a good technique (if you know what you’re doing) is to almost hyperventilate before swimming under water to get a lot of oxygen in your blood, doing this I can usually get 30 – 40 yards underwater, but passing out underwater is not a good idea, so bring someone along before trying this haha.

fiver

holy crap! I AM a girl...yet all this time I've been peeing while standing up. Messy.

Thanks for the info regarding the ASTB. Your response fuels another question: what is the highest a person can score on the ASTB? Also, can one's score on the ASVAB help to predict how one would score on the ASTB? I'm thinking "no" since the material covered on the two tests appears to be rather different, but thought I'd ask anyway. It's hard to know how much I need to study, ya know. I mean I got a 99 on the ASVAB, but that was uber-easy.

Swimming--this is bad. Aviation I can learn. But swimming...oy! And it is NOT that obvious that people in the navy should know how to swim. I mean really! I don't plan on strapping some flippers on my feet and a rocket launcher on my back and swimming to war. Although...it would definitely take the enemy by surprize. (Fear not, boys, I AM joking...kind of.) Still, I guess I can do the swimming thing, I just wanted to bitch about something...I've been spending too much time around the Army folk at Ft. McCoy.

DairyCreamer

Regarding the ASVAB/ASTB difference, I have taken both tests. The ASVAB is a VERY generalized exam covering multitudes of topics. The ASTB is more advanced though in terms of the math, as well as asking very specific questions regarding your knowledge of aviation, and your ability to perceive the orientation of your aircraft based on your view from the cockpit.

Anyway... you can go to your local bookstore and check out the ASVAB study guides to get an idea what's on that exam. The ASTB stuff you can just look up on this website.

Max scores you can get on the ASTB:

80 OAR, 9 PFAR, 9 NFOFAR, 9 AQR

OAR = Officer Aptitude Rating (based dierctly on your added performance on the Math/Verbal and Mechanical Comprehension test)

PFAR = Pilot Aptitude Rating (based on all the sections, heavily on the spatial apperception though)

NFOFAR = Naval Flight Officer (more based on the Math/Verbal and Nautical knowledge than the spatial apperception, since NFOs dont need to worry [as much] about aircraft orientation).

AQR = Academic Qual rating. Again, formulas based on your raw score on the exam portions.

The AQR, PFAR, and NFOFAR are scored on the Stanine Scale, based on the gaussian distribution of scores received by previous test takers. It's a little different than percentiles. 9/9 = Top 4%, 8/9 = Top 11%, and on down...

Yes, ya gotta swim in the navy :) 50 yards is half a football field... pool sizes vary.

Any other questions? :)

~Nate
~SNA Wannabe!!!

Originally posted by fiver
holy crap! I AM a girl...yet all this time I've been peeing while standing up. Messy.

Thanks for the info regarding the ASTB. Your response fuels another question: what is the highest a person can score on the ASTB? Also, can one's score on the ASVAB help to predict how one would score on the ASTB? I'm thinking "no" since the material covered on the two tests appears to be rather different, but thought I'd ask anyway. It's hard to know how much I need to study, ya know. I mean I got a 99 on the ASVAB, but that was uber-easy.

Swimming--this is bad. Aviation I can learn. But swimming...oy! And it is NOT that obvious that people in the navy should know how to swim. I mean really! I don't plan on strapping some flippers on my feet and a rocket launcher on my back and swimming to war. Although...it would definitely take the enemy by surprize. (Fear not, boys, I AM joking...kind of.) Still, I guess I can do the swimming thing, I just wanted to bitch about something...I've been spending too much time around the Army folk at Ft. McCoy.

fiver

Actually, I DO have another question, how do you know all this? It's as if every person at this forum has been given a secret, infinite knowledge regarding all things military and I'm just some silly girl who wants to play navy. I hate that you all know more than I know. Teach me, Obiwan.

DairyCreamer

Dont hate, it's all love around here. I took the test, I've read a lot of the posts on the forum here, and I've asked my recruiter a lot of questions. I already sent in my first package (was rejected, but will submit again in December).

If you want any other questions answered, post here, or you can e-mail me at johnsn@colorado.edu, or AIM me at DairyCreamer.

I'll tell you all I know :)

~Nate

Actually, I DO have another question, how do you know all this? It's as if every person at this forum has been given a secret, infinite knowledge regarding all things military and I'm just some silly girl who wants to play navy. I hate that you all know more than I know. Teach me, Obiwan.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We may not hate but it ain't all love around here. Just ask an Air Farce guy that tries to defend/promote the USAF.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound

For myself (and many of the guys on here) this career is ALL I've ever wanted. I never needed any time to "find" myself ( I Don't mean that in a dirty way-pervs
eyebrows_125.gif
). I've known since I was a young child this was my path, and have spent roughly the last 18 or so years learning all I could about it. That's all. You're simply behind the curve. Patience, young Skywalker. It will come in time.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Fiver,
DairyCreamer either has a photographic memory, or he snaked some info from the front of one of the ASTB test prep books. He got it all right about how the tests are scored. I would highly recommend one of the prep guides, regardless of what designator you want. Go to a largeer book store i.e. Barnes & Nobles, etc., and go to the section that has the SAT ACT study guides and look for one for the ASTB. Some of them combine the aviation tests for the different services into one book w/ many sections. I believe the one I got was from ARCO publishing. You might also try the internet. If you get one, take the test sections just like it says. Time them, remove all distractions, and don't look at the answers first! It helped me get a good score my first time out. Good Luck!

P.S. Find a swimming instructor who teaches adults, they're usually not too expensive.

LTJG Garrison

Daedalus

Fiver, I still don't know how to quote anyone know?
"It's as if every person at this forum has been given a secret, infinite knowledge regarding all things military and I'm just some silly girl who wants to play navy."
Look at out posts, we get our gouge mostly from help from others, and from this forum, so just keep reading, keep asking questions and you should pick up on things pretty quickly.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Daedalus,

at the top of a post there are links to profile, aim, email, etc. The icon on the right that shows an arrow pointing on a piece of paper--that's the one for quoting.

fiver

Wow, everyone is so damn helpful!

I'm definitely feeling a lot better about taking the test (whenever that day gets here) thanks to this nifty forum, and I also took the initiative and went to the library where I checked out a naval history book (way too many pages and small print, but looks to be informative at least), a sailing book (lots of pretty pics), a basic aviation book (small, to the point...I totally think I can fly after reading the first 7 paragraphs), and the biography of Lt. Shane Osborne (though he looks like a guy I absolutely couldn't stand in college (the arrogant punk thought he was God's gift to the Dean's List...I'm not bitter by the way) the book itself is proving to be some good night-time reading).

Swimming...ya, on the application do ya'll think it's a bad idea to say I'm not going to do anything to improve my "skills" before OCS? lol Probably, huh? But it's an HONEST answer...poop. I can practice holding my breath! I don't need a pool for that.

"Behind the curve"? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! damnit, damnit, damnit.

So, are most of ya'll already accepted for OCS? How often does a new class begin? I'm sunburned. I'm also a little bit crazy...is that going to affect my chances? lol Ow. It hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.