• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What If

Status
Not open for further replies.

marti

What happens when an applicant is accepted but declines to go to OCS at some point? Does the applicant just decline to go, or is it a little more complicated than that? For instance, would that person never have another shot at a commission, or would they simply lose their current slot? I am not under the impression that you are obligated to go to OCS; I just want to know what could happen in this case.
blindfold_125.gif

WFU2USN

Marti,

Once accepted, you have 30 days to sign or not sign your contract for OCS. If you decline and decide to re-apply (through the whole process) at a later time, the board would likely look at why you declined your initial acceptance, as well as changes you've made (more schooling, volunteering for something, etc.) since your previous app.

There are ways to drop out after signing your contract and before actually going to OCS - it can be medical, motivational, etc.

I would say unless it's dire personal circumstances or medical issues, it would be tough to get another OCS slot.

Good luck!

Robin

geerst

Hello Marti,

You bring up a question that many have probably thought of. By your writing, I am guessing you were selected for OCS without BDCP. If that is the case and you want out, you simply do not swear-in with your officer recruiter. As for what will happen, let me say this. I had a young man from Montana get selected for pilot in December. When notified of his selection against tremendous odds (as you all are aware), he declined to be a big-game hunting guide instead. When the weather turns or the critters get sick and business declines, our elk-finder will call back. We will work his application again, but for some reason it is ALWAYS on the bottom of the pile.

Same thing happened to a language-lover studying in China. I told him he was selected for Supply. He declined and I told him to think about it. He said no. I said "Big mistake."

You have a tremendous opportunity to prepare yourself for life. Whether you separate from the Navy at the end of your initial obligation or stay for 20, you will have acquired significant and marketable life experiences. So few people want to serve their country; even fewer are given the chance to be a Naval officer.

If you want out, tell your recruiter now. I have 30-40 folks anxious for your spot.

LCDR Geers

ghost_ttu

And what have we learned from this??? Shoot the next elk-finder you see!

Eliminate distractions, focus on your goals and visualize what you hope to accomplish.

WFU2USN

LCDR Geers,

I assume that they look at it differently if it's due to medical reasons. I'm at a crossroads where I don't want to have eye surgery to correct a lazy eye, which will result in my giving up my NFO slot. My confidence in the surgery that will fix it just isn't there right now...and I don't want permanent double vision.

I've been active (4.5 years)/reserve (4 years) Navy for 8.5 years, but am EXTREMELY skeptical about surgery at this point. Down the road that may change and I would likely reapply. Any thoughts?

BTW, I have an open dialogue w/ my recruiter, I'm just curious about your insight.

Thank you!

IS2(SCW)

Goliath112

hey marti what's up!! I thought you wanted to fly man.... What Happened?

Slider "Shut up Goose.."

no seriously, are you thinking about not going?

geerst

IS2,

Guessing at your age and your time in service, I think you have a few years before you reach the max NFO cut-off of 32. So, you can afford to wait to decide on the eye surgery. I understand your concern. As a Reservist, I would also guess that the surgery would be by a civilian doctor. As the Navy is just now authorizing and training their doctors to perform these laser surgeries, you might find better service on the outside. Ask your recruiter to contact CNRC and request an OCS date for you into FY-04. That should not be a problem. That gives you more time to decide. To decline the commission, then re-apply later for medical reasons, I cannot say how that will turn out. The selection boards are comprised of individuals, from your desired community, but individuals with latitude to decide who gets in. A member of the board may look favorably on your situation, another may not. Good luck to you.

LCDR Geers

Status
Not open for further replies.