• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Happens If You Can't Land on a Carrier?

John Laurens

This concludes episode 7 of John Lauren’s’ random questions.

Stay tuned in a few weeks for episode 8.
LOL..it's a forum to ask questions, right?

But, you get winged before or after being qualified to land on a carrier?

How do student pilot train to land on a carrier? Are there decommissioned carriers that are used for training purposes?

Thx.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins

How do student pilot train to land on a carrier? Are there decommissioned carriers that are used for training purposes?

Thx.
If i had to guess I think they use training sites to land on the equipment like pax river etc s. ABEs are stationed there to test equipment and conduct flight ops. Perhaps pilots use that before going on a carrier.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Thx.

There’s nothing wrong asking questions… if you can at least put in the homework and research first.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the PBS documentary Carrier depicted this well.

14 Bolters and 4 waive offs is a serious night in the bag.

I know several people in the video. Sex was a fellow airwing pilot on my CVW-14 deployment; he was also made famous by UFO/UAP sightings. TC (CAG) was later my boss when he was a RDML; he's now the president at CAL Maritime.

Small world.

jmcquate

Contributor
14 Bolters and 4 waive offs is a serious night in the bag.

I know several people in the video. Sex was a fellow airwing pilot on my CVW-14 deployment; he was also made famous by UFO/UAP sightings. TC (CAG) was later my boss when he was a RDML; he's now the president at CAL Maritime.

Small world.
I had an office down the hall from RADML Bull at his final duty station. He had some good stories about making and vetting that series.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If i had to guess I think they use training sites to land on the equipment like pax river etc s. ABEs are stationed there to test equipment and conduct flight ops. Perhaps pilots use that before going on a carrier.
If I had to guess, you probably shouldn't be guessing and posting something that isn't factual so that people don't gt the wrong idea about how aircrew train for CQ. ;)

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
If I had to guess, you probably shouldn't be guessing and posting something that isn't factual so that people don't gt the wrong idea about how aircrew train for CQ. ;)
Well the “keyword” is “guess” educated one at that. Since I’m part of the crew that helps train these pilots… further this is an open website, nothing that’s said here would be set in stone unless someone can verify that.. so yes I can guess and post how I please in this website.

2nd the fact that I said “guess” is a clear indication that I’m not sure so the person should be taking it as a grain salt to begin with. What I do know is these pilots use “MY” equipment to do cq trials I literally launch and recover them?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Well the “keyword” is “guess” educated one at that. Since I’m part of the crew that helps train these pilots… further this is an open website, nothing that’s said here would be set in stone unless someone can verify that.. so yes I can guess and post how I please in this website.

2nd the fact that I said “guess” is a clear indication that I’m not sure so the person should be taking it as a grain salt to begin with. What I do know is these pilots use “MY” equipment to do cq trials I literally launch and recover them?

Oh my dear child....

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yeah, so not what happens at all. You’ve worked with test pilots who are testing the catapult and arresting gear systems, not student pilots.

Student pilots who are heading the tacair/E-2 route are trained in either Kingsville, TX or Meridian, MS, and practice at those fields initially (using a painted box on the runway that approximates the size of the carrier’s landing area), then eventually progress to landing on an actual carrier during a carrier qualification (CQ) detachment.

In answer to the OP’s question, these are active carriers that are scheduled to host these detachments, not training carriers. Historically that was the case, but it hasn’t been that way for years.

@Rtjenkins I get that you have fleet experience, but responding with attitude will get you nowhere, especially when you have no clue who you’re talking to.

Last edited:

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Yeah, so not what happens at all. You’ve worked with test pilots who are testing the catapult and arresting gear systems, not student pilots.

Student pilots who are heading the tacair/E-2 route are trained in either Kingsville, TX or Meridian, MS, and practice at those fields initially (using a painted box on the runway that approximates the size of the carrier’s landing area), then eventually progress to landing on an actual carrier during a carrier qualification (CQ) detachment.

In answer to the OP’s question, these are active carriers that are scheduled to host these detachments, not training carriers. Historically that was the case, but it hasn’t been that way for years.

@Rtjenkins I get that you have fleet experience, but responding with attitude will get you nowhere, especially when you have no clue who you’re talking to.

I responded accordingly. I never came in here like “no it all” regardless of where I come/came from. I simply said “if I had to guess” Now, what I won’t do is have someone tell me what I should or how should say in a post especially when it was implied I was for certain in the first place.

Now from the get go, someone with the correct answer could have easily said xyz and I would have replied “ohh that makes since” you don’t get to dictate how someone responds especially when the response was condescendingly.

This is a public forum and that works both ways “you have no clue who your talking to” Regardless of rank, I would never come anywhere on a public site to flex my rank. That is not what leaders do. Whether I’m an E7 and above or not.. that’s distasteful I could imagine..

This conversation can go one of two ways.. ?