• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What happens if vision is no longer 20/20 right before flight school?

graduatechunk

I'm going to USMC OCS in January on a flight contract, so I passed my initial flight physical and had 20/20 vision at the flight phys.

My question is this; If my vision is no longer 20/20 when I inevitably get another flight physical before flight school, what will happen? I ask because I had lasik, and although I currently have no problem seeing, I can tell my vision fluctuated a very minor amount since the surgery. (Was 20/15 for awhile, now I feel like I swing between 20/15-20/25)

I don't think I'll ever get to 20/60 or whatever the cutoff is, but say I'm 20/30, would the doc just prescribe me glasses and I get a waiver and be good to go? Or would I be DQ'd?

Thanks in advance.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
hqdefault.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There are so many more alligators for you to kill before that one gets to the boat (and that's if it ever does)...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I can tell my vision fluctuated a very minor amount since the surgery. (Was 20/15 for awhile, now I feel like I swing between 20/15-20/25)...

Hydrate and get plenty of sleep before your next eye exam. If that doesn't work, enjoy being an NFO!

graduatechunk

There are so many more alligators for you to kill before that one gets to the boat (and that's if it ever does)...

I understand that, I'm just thinking ahead. Although I don't think it's likely, I'd like to know what the procedure is if this was to happen.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The procedure is you get a physical at API, NAMI tells you that you're fucked, and you redes. There's not a whole lot you will be able to do about it, if that happens. I know that sucks to hear, but that's how it is when you get to API. You can try to appeal (I would), but the reality is very few are able to appeal and succeed at that stage of the game.

It sucks, pure and simple. It's happened to several friends of mine. Some became WSOs, some ended up in a non-flying MOS or got out.

Be hydrated, eat well, and get plenty of rest the night before your physical. Ain't much more you can do that that. NAMI physical at API was one of the most stressful times I recall about API, because I'd heard the horror stories. Truth is, the majority are fine. Don't worry just because your vision fluctuated slightly postop. You might be just fine.

graduatechunk

The procedure is you get a physical at API, NAMI tells you that you're fucked, and you redes. There's not a whole lot you will be able to do about it, if that happens. I know that sucks to hear, but that's how it is when you get to API. You can try to appeal (I would), but the reality is very few are able to appeal and succeed at that stage of the game.

It sucks, pure and simple. It's happened to several friends of mine. Some became WSOs, some ended up in a non-flying MOS or got out.

Be hydrated, eat well, and get plenty of rest the night before your physical. Ain't much more you can do that that. NAMI physical at API was one of the most stressful times I recall about API, because I'd heard the horror stories. Truth is, the majority are fine. Don't worry just because your vision fluctuated slightly postop. You might be just fine.

So even if your 20/40 but correctable to 20/20 you're screwed?

nugget81

pilot
It's not the end of the world. I did PRK while in college, had my vision degrade, and tested worse than 20/20 at OCS & API. It was correctable with glasses/contacts, and wasn't a big deal. I still wear contacts today.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So even if your 20/40 but correctable to 20/20 you're screwed?

I was 20/30 or 20/35 (can't remember) on the day of my NAMI physical. Note the wings under my avatar.

Relax, you already have the answer since you're quoting the standards.

MemphisBell

pilot
When i did mine back in January, it was a piece of cake. All they care about is that you are 20/40. Its not really a flight physical but more like a check up. It only took 30 minutes. You have nothing to worry about!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Its not really a flight physical but more like a check up. It only took 30 minutes.

It really depends on what you may (or may not) have in your record. Sometimes they can focus on something even though you've already "passed" previously.

Albeit a few years ago, as a Jaygee, I expressed my dissatisfaction at the general organization of the physicals that day to a brand-spanking new O-3 doc. Apparently he subscribed to the Frank Burns School of Medicine program and decided to make sure I got extra attention for my vision, since I was close to the limits. Got drops and everything. I'm pretty sure he was later part of the Summer's Eve ad campaigns.

My point is they'll check what they want to check. It might be 30 minutes, it might be longer.