• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
I just finished When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

He is finishing up his residency at Stanford as neurosurgeon when he gets diagnosed with lung cancer. His writing style with multiple references to classical literature while he dissects what is important in life was pretty damn good. At times, I stopped and thought, damn that is some good writing right there.

Amazon link below but I found it through the local library in the Libby App.
https://www.amazon.com/When-Breath-Becomes-Paul-Kalanithi/dp/081298840X

ah87

In addition to my light graduate reading (Educational Psych, anyone?), I read Alone At Dawn, CCT: the Eye of the Storm (a childhood friend of mine who is a CCT insisted I read the former, then I picked up the latter), Thank You For Your Service (for the laughs), and Red Platoon over the summer. I'm currently switching things up with some fiction, and reading The Kite Runner. I also have all of the, The Things Our Fathers Saw series queued up for my next reads.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
If you like Naval History you should read everything that Hornfischer and Toll write. Both are great authors and their works are very approachable and enjoyable.

Ian Toll’s last book of the Pacific War Trilogy, Twilight of the Gods, was recently published- anyone had a chance to read and review it yet?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ian Toll’s last book of the Pacific War Trilogy, Twilight of the Gods, was recently published- anyone had a chance to read and review it yet?

On the list for the Fat Guy.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
On my shelf...next to be read.

You or Pags got a good 1-stop source for a WW1 / WW2 atlas depicting particular areas with ship/troop movements? Would like to load up a thumb drive with maps and plug it into the 65” TV so I could toggle back and forth over specific battle areas while reading.

On a separate note, listening to Dan Carlin’s Supernova in the East Part V. The debate was over who were the better jungle fighters: the Australians or the Japanese? Carlin stated you could not count the US, as the Americans instead would simply flatten the jungle and then fight on what was left.

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot

Yes. Once again, like the others, it is a work of excellence. Stumbled into Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago and somehow walked out with a signed copy ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You or Pags got a good 1-stop source for a WW1 / WW2 atlas depicting particular areas with ship/troop movements? Would like to load up a thumb drive with maps and plug it into the 65” TV so I could toggle back and forth over specific battle areas while reading.

On a separate note, listening to Dan Carlin’s Supernova in the East Part V. The debate was over who were the better jungle fighters: the Australians or the Japanese? Carlin stated you could not count the US, as the Americans instead would simply flatten the jungle and then fight on what was left.
Try...”War at Sea: A Naval Atlas, 1939-1945” by Marcus Faulkner.

Pags

N/A
pilot

I'm disappointed in myself for not having a good answer for this. I usually just end up on wikipedia.

If you're reading WWII USN history I'd also recommend the BuShips battle damage reports if you'd like to get post strike BDA.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm disappointed in myself for not having a good answer for this. I usually just end up on wikipedia.

If you're reading WWII USN history I'd also recommend the BuShips battle damage reports if you'd like to get post strike BDA.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Found those a few years ago. My grandfather was XO on DRAGONET, and now I get why he didn't talk about the war.