• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are you reading?

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I know you’re all just a right bunch of scholars up in this thread, but I just read Jurassic Park and Lost World.

What literary delights those were!

Recommend if you want to crush some science fiction in a few days and hear Jeff Goldblum’s voice in your head waxing poetic about chaos theory.

NavyMurph

Dr Jim Holmes (PhD) is a crazy smart and incredibly nice guy who hangs his hat up in Newport. This is his summer reading list. It got me thinking that we might be able to kickstart a thread here where we drop some book recommendations and thoughts on something you've recently read.

No, it's not AirWarriors Book Club.... It's different, dammit!

This one is actually on his list, and I just picked it up a week or so ago. So far, so so so good!
View attachment 14732

Also, just finished this. I had no idea how large of a role King and Leahy played in the larger global strategy development during WWII. It polishes USNA's knob pretty hard, but overall a really good book.

View attachment 14733

I realize neither of these books are "hot off the press," and many of you have probably read them. I had not.

I'm interested to see what else you guys are reading. Well... All except @webmaster. We know what he's reading.
I'm reading A Sea Story: Officer Candidate School. Interesting writing style. Basically a verbatim description of Navy OCS. Thanks everyone for these great suggestions!

Attachments

• A Sea Story.jpg
    A Sea Story.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 31

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Just had a friend loan me "Into the Raging Sea" by Rachel Slade which concerns the sinking of the cargo ship El Faro in a hurricane a few years ago. Has started out promising.

Ayo

I'm really enjoying former SECDEF Jim Mattis's new book, Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead.

"Reading is an honor and a gift from a warrior or historian who–a decade or a thousands decades ago–set aside time to write. He distilled a lifetime of campaigning in order to have a 'conversation' with you. We have been fight on this planet for ten thousands years. It would be idiotic and unethical to not take advantage of such accumulated experiences.

If you haven't read hundreds of books, you functionally illiterate, and you will be incompetent, because your personal experiences alone aren't broad enough to sustain you. Any commander who claims he is "too busy to read" is going to fill bodybags with his troops as he learns the hard way. The consequences of incompetence in battle are final. History teaches that we face nothing new under the sun."

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Fifty percent of the way through and I feel like I've done nothing with my military career. Reading about his meeting with Janabi almost made me pee.
Fortunately I’m just starting out on my military career, so I’m taking lots of notes as I’m reading through. So many knowledge bombs in these pages.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
BTW how do you evaluate Stephen Coonts's Sea Witch? Have never read so sad story about PBY crews life during Pacific war. No victory, no glory, Just cruel war and indifference of the nature. "we're just dust on the wind". Who have read this? Common for A-6 driver Coonts tough character of CO and absolutely same bow down to the fate I've read in the Russian books depicted Il-2 attack planes war over Russian steppes. God divides people on those who alive, those who dead and those who taking off in Il-2. Same feelngs about PBY crews on this book. Good book while quite short one...

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
For anyone who enjoyed Chernobyl on HBO, I recommend "Midnight in Chernobyl" by Adam Higginbotham. I'm about halfway through, and it's terrifyingly great.
I've been the one who trapped under radiactive rain next day, 27th Apr. 1986. Got grabbed by Police patrol and left all clothes there even savvi. Father brought a naked at home in a car. Scared kid to say the least. Adidas shoes, brand new, shirt with Iron Maiden print, all lost. Then three months every Day x-ray inspection. All clear...

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
If you're looking for a departure from reality, I've just started the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Ruthfus...so far so good and have heard many good recommendations. Fair warning: they're long and fairly dense.

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot
The Twilight War, David Crist. DOD/JCS official historian rundown of the contentious 30+ year relationship between America and Iran since the fall of the Shah. Truly excellent, so much I didn’t know.