• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What Are You Listening To?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
An educated guess would be that the P-38 stopped operating at high altitude (it had a crappy cockpit heater), and in the Pacific, the Allison V12 work just fine at the altitudes that it was operating.

Got curious and did some searching- this seemed like a pretty good video. Evidently as the P-38’s engines increased in power, they reached a stage where they needed more propeller- which was much more complicated than one might think.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
On Fareed Zakaria’s “GPS” today, the final segment mentioned that Beethoveen had started a 10th Symphony but did not finish it before his death in 1827. Evidently a collection of music experts and computer scientists specializing in AI began a 2 year project to finish the 10th Symphony. It premiered on 9 October 2021 in Bonn, Germany. Looking forward to giving it a listen.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Similar to the P-38 clip above, an hour and half video of how the Corsair and Hellcat would have done against the ME-109 and FW-190. The host is using mid-1943 versions.

Never knew that the Corsair’s landing gear had a “dive brake mode” which allowed it to maintain a steeper descent angle.

jmcquate

Contributor
Never knew that the Corsair’s landing gear had a “dive brake mode” which allowed it to maintain a steeper descent angle.
I've seen photos and film of Corsairs providing CAS with the gear dropped. They would also roll into the grove behind the boat with the canopy open to provide drag.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I've seen photos and film of Corsairs providing CAS with the gear dropped.
I was thinking the same thing.

Another item the author mentioned was that the fighters followed ship practice in armoring the aircraft. ie. if a cruiser has 6” guns, it has armor to stop 6” shells. Navy fighters had .50 caliber mg’s thus the armor was designed to stop .50 caliber rounds. He stated that Army Air Force P-47’s and P-51’s armor only provided prorection against .30 caliber rounds.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen photos and film of Corsairs providing CAS with the gear dropped. They would also roll into the grove behind the boat with the canopy open to provide drag.

That may be from Peleliu, where the airfield on the island was only 10-15 seconds of flight time from the battle and the Corsairs often didn't bother to retract their gear when they flew missions.

1641826940100.png

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My dad flew Corsairs post-WWII and had only one complaint…if the last guy who flew it or worked on failed to lower the flaps it was really hard to climb into!

NOTE: That’s not my dad below…it’s Ted Williams. Just a good example of the step in the wing. My old man was too cool to be a fucking Red Sock.

1641839338718.png

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My dad flew Corsairs post-WWII and had only one complaint…if the last guy who flew it or worked on failed to lower the flaps it was really hard to climb into!

NOTE: That’s not my dad below…it’s Ted Williams. Just a good example of the step in the wing. My old man was too cool to be a fucking Red Sock.

View attachment 34331
Korea era helmet/goggles...

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Another space related podcast that I stumbled upon- The Last Soviet is really good. Lance Bass (yeah, him- but he is a qualified Cosmonaut he just lost his mission) hosts it, and it's about the cosmonaut program- centered around the guy who was left on Mir during the collapse of the Soviet Union.

It's a short form with 20-25 minute episodes. Great for listening to while on a run.