• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What about my follow on orders!?

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
So I just winged and found out last week I am heading to HSL 40 out of Mayport. My wife and I are excited. I expected to have follow on orders to indicate I would be staying at mayport as my verbal orders were HSL East. I got my paper orders and they just say report to HSL 40. They say nothing about what is happening to me when I finish the FRS. My wife and I want to buy a house there but are now fearing that the verbal orders to HSL east may not be at all valid. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Who should I be talking to--my current command or the future one? thanks

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I just winged and found out last week I am heading to HSL 40 out of Mayport. My wife and I are excited. I expected to have follow on orders to indicate I would be staying at mayport as my verbal orders were HSL East. I got my paper orders and they just say report to HSL 40. They say nothing about what is happening to me when I finish the FRS. My wife and I want to buy a house there but are now fearing that the verbal orders to HSL east may not be at all valid. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Who should I be talking to--my current command or the future one? thanks

I don't know how 40 operates, but your STUCON or placement O there should be able to field your questions, but you'll likely not know this far out - that's the breaks of Naval Aviation. It's normal for CAT I studs to have orders just to the RAG and not to your ultimate command until you graduate. You'll get new orders when you complete the RAG.

Brett

MasterBates

Talk to STUCON at the RAG when you get there.

Basically, if you go to -40, you will normally go to 42, 44, 46 or 48, all Mayport HSL outfits.

There was one guy from my RAG class who went to Japan, because someone who selected HSL-Japan had EFM issues keeping them INCONUS.

I bought a house when I was in the RAG, but I could not go OCONUS due to EFM issues.

Circle K

pilot
Read your orders one more time. They won't say which squadron in HSL East your are going to. But they should say, near the bottom, and likely only one sentence. "Expect follow on orders to ______" likely HSL East if that's what your verbals were. Only Hawaii and Japan guys have a squadron number on that blank and nobody has it listed as an "ultimate duty" Bravos West will just say HSL West. You won't find out what squadron until about 2-3 weeks from your ZTR (FRS Graduation) It's usually split evenly between the four squadrons down the hall.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So unless there is some extraordinary circumstance, I would be staying at Mayport if I have verbals to HSL East?

Yes. Or, unless they ask for volunteers (or voluntolds). I know it's a bit different now since all Bravo guys go to Mayport, but back when you selected West or East and they sent you to -41 or 40, you still didn't know which squadron until the end, as Circle K said. Only those of us going to -51 or -37 had a blurb in the orders, and even then, those weren't written in stone. Usually somebody would switch when some sort of personal matter came up.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got my paper orders and they just say report to HSL 40. They say nothing about what is happening to me when I finish the FRS.

That's because it might change based on needs of the Navy, but as others have observed, you'll probably be assigned as your verbal orders indicated. Where you ulitmately end up won't be clear until you're almost ready to go to the fleet and what the fleet needs at that point. Where you're heading now is based on what the projected need might be when you are estimated to complete the FRS. Where you ultimately go will be primarily based on your performance weighed against what the fleet needs at that point in time.

haubby

None
Contributor
ORDMOD's happen all the time. When I was going to my first boat I had orders to the Henry M. Jackson. Reported to COMSUBGRU 9, all of a sudden I was directed to the Georgia. Granted my experience is sub's but orders are never final until you actually check-in to the particular command.

Same thing happened to a AW friend of mine. She reported to the Wing thinking she was going to a particular VP squadron, next thing she knows shes going to another VP squadron deploying within the month. Flexibility is key

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Same thing happened to a AW friend of mine. She reported to the Wing thinking she was going to a particular VP squadron, next thing she knows shes going to another VP squadron deploying within the month. Flexibility is key

That's the enlisted ranks. ORDMODS do happen because there's a lot more billets.

Out of HTs, you'll be at 42,44,46 or 48 unless something REALLY weird happens...which is rare. Buy a home near Mayport, if you want a short drive to work.

You're winged...stop worrying so much.

~D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's the enlisted ranks. ORDMODS do happen because there's a lot more billets.

Out of HTs, you'll be at 42,44,46 or 48 unless something REALLY weird happens...which is rare. Buy a home near Mayport, if you want a short drive to work.

You're winged...stop worrying so much.

~D

Yeah, a guy here recently at the Prowler RAG used that same logic, bought himself a house, then got voluntold to go to Japan.

Caveat Emptor,

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, a guy here recently at the Prowler RAG used that same logic, bought himself a house, then got voluntold to go to Japan.

Caveat Emptor,

Brett

Concur. During my limited time at -41, there were at least 3 guys/gals that played musical chairs between San Dog, HI, and Japan. And that was only 6 or so classes made up of about 6 people that went through

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
Ok so the consensus seems to be that orders to HSL-40 are only to HSL-40 and no matter what the verbals were they can change, and apparently do change very often. So being told HSL-east means that I could still end up in Hawaii or sand diego, or some other place. When will I find this kind of thing out, and well can anyone give me a real and valid answer? Or should I just keep on renting an apartment?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
PM sent. HSL-east is HSL-east. HSL-west is HSL-west PLUS HI and Japan. Chances are as good as they can be in the Navy that you'll go where you selected, ie HSL-east, ie Mayport/Jax area.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You won't know for sure until you report to your next squadron. Even once you get written orders to a squadron they can be changed to a different squadron.

If you don't mind renting out a place on the chance that you get sent somewhere else, you can buy in Jax.