• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Welcome post w/ moral waiver question

exNavyOffRec

New here so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask.

24 and going through the OCS application process for SWO. I had a juvenile incident when I was 14, I am trying to track down the documents since I am spacing the details, but essentially went to court and had to do probation for a year for the charges to get dismissed. Got records sealed at 18 and haven't had any trouble since, been nothing but a good citizen working a white collar finance job.

Can anyone tell me more about the waiver process or if I will even need one? None of my stuff was violent, but the waiver process is really confusing me. Recruiter said I shouldn't mention this at MEPS but I don't want it to bite me later.
so your recruiter wants you to lie, that isn't a good start and glad you are asking how to find it.

you may not need a waiver but you will need to disclose as all arrest will show up as nothing is "sealed" when it comes to the federal government, I had a kid in the same situation who didn't disclose since it was "sealed" and it did pop, he wrote a statement and all was good.

I had another case where similar to yours, except it was a small town and the judge made everything "go away" after he did what the judge told him to do.

What was the situation?

Egg_Supreme

Aspiring SWO
so your recruiter wants you to lie, that isn't a good start and glad you are asking how to find it.

you may not need a waiver but you will need to disclose as all arrest will show up as nothing is "sealed" when it comes to the federal government, I had a kid in the same situation who didn't disclose since it was "sealed" and it did pop, he wrote a statement and all was good.

I had another case where similar to yours, except it was a small town and the judge made everything "go away" after he did what the judge told him to do.

What was the situation?
Thanks for the reply, definitely not trying to hide anything. Hoping to be in the Navy for a while and don't want to have to worry about stuff like this coming up.

A friend and I made some overt emails and phone calls to a teacher. It was pretty bad stuff but I own up to it and think I have done as good a job as possible of moving on. I remember there were a lot of charges and, despite everything being dropped, I am worried seeing how the Navy may not give waivers for a lot of charges.

When will I know if I need a waiver?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the reply, definitely not trying to hide anything. Hoping to be in the Navy for a while and don't want to have to worry about stuff like this coming up.

A friend and I made some overt emails and phone calls to a teacher. It was pretty bad stuff but I own up to it and think I have done as good a job as possible of moving on. I remember there were a lot of charges and, despite everything being dropped, I am worried seeing how the Navy may not give waivers for a lot of charges.

When will I know if I need a waiver?
It depends on what it was and how it all played out, if it was all dropped after completing requirements it will be viewed as a diversion so still guilty, if it was dropped due to not enough evidence that is another, and if they were all together that could be viewed as 1 incident.

ocmade

The degree of your criminal history and your current legal situation are the major factors determining whether you are granted this type of waiver. In my knowledge, Traffic violations, misdemeanor crimes, juvenile offenses, and similar convictions can be considered. For waiver results, let it be three weeks to three months.

exNavyOffRec

The degree of your criminal history and your current legal situation are the major factors determining whether you are granted this type of waiver. In my knowledge, Traffic violations, misdemeanor crimes, juvenile offenses, and similar convictions can be considered. For waiver results, let it be three weeks to three months.
Welcome to the site, one thing to look at is the age of the thread as the person who started this thread has not been on this site in nearly 2 years.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, that’s a fairly specific first post given what your profile says your current job is. Do you have any military experience that would give you that knowledge?

ocmade

I was in the same situation, so I did a lot of research. I came across an article that discussed how long it takes to get a military waiver approved and some tips for obtaining one. I think it can be useful for anyone who cares about this problem.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I was in the same situation, so I did a lot of research. I came across an article that discussed how long it takes to get a military waiver approved and some tips for obtaining one. I think it can be useful for anyone who cares about this problem.

Yeah... I wouldn't really fully rely on a legal attorney's site for all of that...

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you created an account on a naval aviation site just to post about moral waivers using an article that was published the same day as your first post as your reference material? Are you still an aspiring applicant, just interested in naval aviation, or what? We try to avoid spreading bad gouge here, so posting outside of your area of expertise isn’t particularly helpful.

Pro tip: adding more info to your bio is always helpful.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where are you currently located?