• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight Loss

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Good advice here.

Omitting or limiting meat intake is not prudent.

Change the kind of red meat you eat, change the portion size, and eat it with steamed green veggies only.

The "steak, potatoes, and milk" combo is a killer.

But a nice filet, flank steak, or trimmed down center cut is a prime source of high grade protein.

I eat 12 eggs a day, red meat every day, chicken everyday, and fish every other day. My total cholesterol is within range and my BP is fine.

I only eat low glycemic carbs and I only eat carbs before and after workouts. (excluding the occasional martini or seven)

If you limit your protein intake your hampering your end game. Men, need protein every 3-4 hours. Whey PI is fine but digests too fast, I only use it as a PW meal. Casein is a better choice at night before bed. If your looking into protein alternatives to meat.

MB has done an excellent job losing weight. His success came from two things: a simple approach to the objective and discipline. I read his fitday tracker for a few weeks, his caloric intake was good but the types of food certainly cost him some LMM and caused some insulin spikes. Insulin spikes are what makes dieting miserable.

Zissou

Banned
I'll be honest here: I was 170-175 going into OCS as a weight lifter at 5'9", which was too heavy for my height. I definitely could've afforded to lose some pounds, and I dropped 25 lbs in 2.5 months doing the aerobic-heavy workouts at OCS paired with their no-dairy, no fatty condiments and no alcohol diet. I've managed to drop a few more since doing similar workouts, and you have to consider that most of the class drops weight while at OCS.

Sometimes, just sometimes, the military knows what it's doing.

I do agree that nuts and beans are not as good as vegetarians claim they are. I was actually shocked to see the calorie count in a serving of beans (via the posting at the salad bar in the galley).

Spekkio,

You were 175lbs at 5'9" as a weight lifter. At that height weight ratio you weren't carrying enough lean muscle mass to seriously affect your metabolism. It was very easy for you to consume over your caloric needs.

I'm 5'6" and 209-211 at 7% BF. My LMM is disproportionate and REQUIRES serious caloric intake just to maintain. So my body is trained to a point where Otto's comment is more obvious. I stay lean BECAUSE I have muscle to feed first.

What happened at OCS? Your lifestyle became more active, in caloric expense terms than ever before for such a sustained period of time. Combine that with the surprisingly high quality Navy chow and your body likely transformed quite abit.

If you maintain the cardio and return to strength training your body will mature in tone very fast. Right now your body is primed for serious growth.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Spekkio,

You were 175lbs at 5'9" as a weight lifter. At that height weight ratio you weren't carrying enough lean muscle mass to seriously affect your metabolism. It was very easy for you to consume over your caloric needs.

I'm 5'6" and 209-211 at 7% BF. My LMM is disproportionate and REQUIRES serious caloric intake just to maintain. So my body is trained to a point where Otto's comment is more obvious. I stay lean BECAUSE I have muscle to feed first.

What happened at OCS? Your lifestyle became more active, in caloric expense terms than ever before for such a sustained period of time. Combine that with the surprisingly high quality Navy chow and your body likely transformed quite abit.

If you maintain the cardio and return to strength training your body will mature in tone very fast. Right now your body is primed for serious growth.

Jesus, Tap-dancing, Christ! You must be built like a brick shit-house!

BTW: GREAT thread. Keep it going!

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It has been discussed here before, but I cannot say enough good things about Crossfit. It has changed my complete outlook on PT. I look forward to Crossfit everyday. (That's right, I just said I look forward to PT every single day ... with rest days of course.) Not for everyone but I love this shit ...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141214

www.crossfit.com

And when you want a little more, add this to the Crossfit program ...

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

It works great for the busy guy or gal ... short, high intensity workouts (with the occasional endurance day).

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
So is it better (more efficient, effective) to run after working out (lifting, push ups etc) or is running then working out ok?

I have a similar stat to Spekkio except I'm 5' 8ish and 185, now down to 182 but I went a little overboard at Oktoberfest this weekend. The fatty parts are entirely in the gut. Everything else: arms, chest, legs are fine, surfer body type, lean. I am currently on an aggressive dieting and exercise plan and I use Excel to help me keep track of calories in and out (plus fat, fiber, and protein). My goal is to drop 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. More if possible like 2-3 pounds a week.

This is a good thread. Very informative and helpful.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So is it better (more efficient, effective) to run after working out (lifting, push ups etc) or is running then working out ok?

I have a similar stat to Spekkio except I'm 5' 8ish and 185, now down to 182 but I went a little overboard at Oktoberfest this weekend. The fatty parts are entirely in the gut. Everything else: arms, chest, legs are fine, surfer body type, lean. I am currently on an aggressive dieting and exercise plan and I use Excel to help me keep track of calories in and out (plus fat, fiber, and protein). My goal is to drop 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. More if possible like 2-3 pounds a week.

This is a good thread. Very informative and helpful.

Everything I've ever read says that the best metabolic boost comes from lifting first and then running second. Depending on how intense my workouts are, I may delay the run for a few hours otherwise it'd be useless, but if I have the "oomph" to do both, I run afterward. The lifting kicks up your metabolism for the long haul (24-48) and the running boosts it even higher for a couple hours.

Zissou

Banned
Thanks Otto but alot of luck comes into play, what we call "talent" today is mostly genetic variation IMO. I am predisposed to carry alot of LMM, its very common in my family.

Besides when you guys were studying in high school I was lifting.

That's why you fly airplanes and I look at pictures of them on the internet.:icon_wink

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Thanks Otto but alot of luck comes into play, what we call "talent" today is mostly genetic variation IMO. I am predisposed to carry alot of LMM, its very common in my family.

Besides when you guys were studying in high school I was lifting.

That's why you fly airplanes and I look at pictures of them on the internet.:icon_wink

Genetics is a huge factor in determining your natural body shape/composition. My genetics predispose me to have bitch tits and eat cake, but I'm busting my ass to keep as far from that as possible. How successful do you think I am so far?

what-your-cyber-mate-may-really-look-like.jpg

MasterBates

Check out the link in my signature, and look back at the March-April-May-June

December 2007 I was 285 pounds at 6'4"

Right now I am 225-230 depending on how much I have eaten.

Cardio and eating somewhat right is the key. If you look at my recent weeks, I have not been in the gym much since mid august, but have been really busy doing physical work on the CubiCat.

Lean protein, try to be smart about the carbs. Somedays you will go over. It happens. Just don't make it happen every day.

This was my base schedule when I was in 'lose weight NOW' mode:

1500-1800 calories a day
Breakfast
1/2 cup steel cut oats
V8 Can
Multivitamin
Grapefruit or Banana

Lunch
Diet meal
Salad (no "bad" dressings")

Dinner
Chicken or beef stir fry
veggies
or diet meal

Also, 1 can of tuna with mustard as a snack, and especially post gym.

2 hours of cardio 4-5 days a week, and some weights as follows:
Recumbent bike on Cardio-Power range 1 hour
Weights and Bodyweight exercuses to "cool down"
Eliptical on Cardio-Power heart range for 1 hour

Drink a shit-ton of water.

BullGator

Check out the link in my signature, and look back at the March-April-May-June

December 2007 I was 285 pounds at 6'4"

Right now I am 225-230 depending on how much I have eaten.

I am 6'2'' ~195lbs and dropping weight currently. I believe that the maximum weight by Navy standards for me at 6'2'' is 205lbs. I don't ever see my self going in that heavier direction, but for curiosity’s sake: does the Navy's weight ranges for flying increase after you get your wings (or for that matter after OCS)?

Basically what I'm asking is, can you fly right now MasterBates? (--e.g. Will the Navy ground you at 225-285lbs, at 6'4'', until you were in the pre-OCS acceptance range.)

-Just wondering what NOMI's take is on the weight issue for flying.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I am 6'2'' ~195lbs and dropping weight currently. I believe that the maximum weight by Navy standards for me at 6'2'' is 205lbs. I don't ever see my self going in that heavier direction, but for curiosity’s sake: does the Navy's weight ranges for flying increase after you get your wings (or for that matter after OCS)?

Basically what I'm asking is, can you fly right now MasterBates? (--e.g. Will the Navy ground you at 225-285lbs, at 6'4'', until you were in the pre-OCS acceptance range.)

-Just wondering what NOMI's take is on the weight issue for flying.

Don't ask Master about NOMI and weight standards/waivers. It's a sore subject. :D

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Everything I've ever read says that the best metabolic boost comes from lifting first and then running second. Depending on how intense my workouts are, I may delay the run for a few hours otherwise it'd be useless, but if I have the "oomph" to do both, I run afterward. The lifting kicks up your metabolism for the long haul (24-48) and the running boosts it even higher for a couple hours.
While this is correct, I would recommend that the person do whichever activity he dislikes most first. I used to blow off running a lot when I was lifting simply because I didn't like it at the time, so the fact that I felt that I was already working out for 45 min to an hour made me just say fuck it.

I honestly don't have the time during the week to devote 2 hours a day to working out, nor do I really have the desire to gain a significant amount of weight.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's funny listening to everyone worry about being over the weight limits (funny ironic, not funny amusing; please don't kill me). I had the exact opposite problem. In API I had to sign the waiver for being UNDER the weight limits. My frame is about 80% of the size of the average dude, I'm a short and skinny little runt. I think at that point I was 5'9" and 130-something soaking wet. Ridiculously high metabolism; I could eat whatever whenever. Lifted but couldn't gain weight to save my soul.

Then my metabolism crashed and I found myself making excuses to the PRs as to where this gut came from and why they had to readjust my gear. :eek: I consider anything over 150 to be too fat unless I pack on some serious muscle. I'm now learning that any weight is not good weight.

Problem I get is that I never seem to be able to do well at lifting; I either get no results or I screw up my joints. I've looked at Crossfit, but even with the scaled workouts it seems to be a recipe for too much too fast and hurting myself given my personality. I tend to get lazy until I piss myself off and then want to fix things NOW. Which means I really have to watch that I don't overtrain and hurt myself. But then anything less than that and I feel like I'm copping out and not pushing myself.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
It's funny listening to everyone worry about being over the weight limits (funny ironic, not funny amusing; please don't kill me). I had the exact opposite problem. In API I had to sign the waiver for being UNDER the weight limits. My frame is about 80% of the size of the average dude, I'm a short and skinny little runt. I think at that point I was 5'9" and 130-something soaking wet. Ridiculously high metabolism; I could eat whatever whenever. Lifted but couldn't gain weight to save my soul.

Then my metabolism crashed and I found myself making excuses to the PRs as to where this gut came from and why they had to readjust my gear. :eek: I consider anything over 150 to be too fat unless I pack on some serious muscle. I'm now learning that any weight is not good weight.

Problem I get is that I never seem to be able to do well at lifting; I either get no results or I screw up my joints. I've looked at Crossfit, but even with the scaled workouts it seems to be a recipe for too much too fast and hurting myself given my personality. I tend to get lazy until I piss myself off and then want to fix things NOW. Which means I really have to watch that I don't overtrain and hurt myself. But then anything less than that and I feel like I'm copping out and not pushing myself.

Aww Nit..were you that little snotty nosed kid with the big jacket and huge backpack at the bus stop in middle school? :D