• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wearing of multiple Wings/Warfare devices

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, becuase Marine regs allow that.
Just like guys that go to ANGLICO for their B billet and end up getting the gold jump wings.

Jump wings are allowed for wear with other wings in the Navy too, it is not in the 'category' as Pilot or NFO wings.

I agree with Fester, if you earned you should be able to wear them.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Navy- Can wear only one set of gold wings.
Marines- Can wear both Pilot and NFO at same time.

phrogpilot73

Can a commissioned officer earn Naval Air Crewman wings in the Marine Corps? Yes. Can a commissioned officer (to include warrant officers) earn Combat Aircrew wings? No.

Warrants can earn them prior to becoming warrants, and wear them as such. They are not authorized for the O's no matter what. So while an officer can do everything right to earn them, they can't wear them.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Can a commissioned officer earn Naval Air Crewman wings in the Marine Corps? Yes. Can a commissioned officer (to include warrant officers) earn Combat Aircrew wings? No.

Warrants can earn them prior to becoming warrants, and wear them as such. They are not authorized for the O's no matter what. So while an officer can do everything right to earn them, they can't wear them.

I'm thinking that if one earned the combat aircrew designation while enlisted, then got commissioned, then he would be able to wear the combat aircrew insignia. Otherwise he would have to revert to standard aircrew wings. I've seen at least one officer wear combat aircrew wings, although he was not a pilot or NFO.

To get back to what I think was the original question, any combat sorties earned as an officer would not count towards making aircrew wings earned earlier into combat wings.

BTW, I think the combat wings are about the coolest looking insignia in the military.

phrogpilot73

^^ Yeah, that's what I meant. An officer can earn them as an enlisted man, and continue to wear them as an officer. They cannot earn them as an officer.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Stupid question, and I think it's just because of the way the categories were copy/pasted, but can you wear multiple warfare pins from different "categories?" For instance, say one earns his or her SWO pin and then lat transfers into Aviation, could he or she wear the SWO pin and the Pilot or NFO wings?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stupid question, and I think it's just because of the way the categories were copy/pasted, but can you wear multiple warfare pins from different "categories?" For instance, say one earns his or her SWO pin and then lat transfers into Aviation, could he or she wear the SWO pin and the Pilot or NFO wings?

Yes, I have seen this quite a bit, mainly SWO pin and wings. Aviators on a disassociated tour used to be able to earn a SWO pin, until the SWO's threw a hissy fit and it stopped in the early/mid 90's .

S.O.B.

pilot
Um, I still wear my GOLD AIRCREW and NFO wings. I think you meant NFO and Pilot wings. Yes?

-ea6bflyr ;)

I stopped wearing my aircrew wings because a deck plate leader point out that if I had EAWS I should be wearing that as opposed to my aircrew wings as a second warfare.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I wish I could wear my EAWS wings. I have the belt buckle but that's it. I have tried for years to get it changed. I got it up to the Force Master Chief level but it got shot down.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I stopped wearing my aircrew wings because a deck plate leader point out that if I had EAWS I should be wearing that as opposed to my aircrew wings as a second warfare.

The "Deck Plate" leader you refer to is wrong. EAWS/ESWS/SS fall into a different category than your A/C wings. I have my EAWS, ESWS, A/C, NAO and NFO wings. I ALWAYS wear my A/C wings under my NFO wings.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

As robav8r already pointed out, your deck plate leader is wrong. EAWS wings are a warfare device in the same 'category' as your pilot wings and cannot be worn together. Aircrew wings are not a warfare device which is why they can be worn with EAWS, NFO and Aviator wings.

S.O.B.

pilot
As robav8r already pointed out, your deck plate leader is wrong. EAWS wings are a warfare device in the same 'category' as your pilot wings and cannot be worn together. Aircrew wings are not a warfare device which is why they can be worn with EAWS, NFO and Aviator wings.
That's good to know. Thanks for the heads up.