• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ways to get on base housing

Oakley568

DI$BO
Our house was robbed the other day and I've heard that Corpus Christi isn't exactly what you'd call "safe", so I'd much rather live on base. I was just wondering what all I could do to get my wife and me on base in Corpus Christi. I was already informed that I would have to wait to detach and get official orders to be eligible for the waiting list, but that doesn't help. Is there a formal letter process I can go through explaining my situation and basically plead for a house on base? I'm only asking because I don't want to put my wife in danger again. We were lucky she wasn't home this time, but you never know. Thanks for any help, any suggestions would be appreciated (from those who have done this or seen this). I graduate from API on 5 JAN and report 8 JAN, so the whole "detach and then you're eligible" concept kind of screws me over...

MasterBates

I graduate from API on 5 JAN and report 8 JAN, so the whole "detach and then you're eligible" concept kind of screws me over...

Well, the cant be on the list until you get there is typical Navy beauracracy. Part of the business.

As to Corpus, live on the island. It is not a gaurantee of "niceness" but having natural barriers works wonders for reducing crime.

Have you considered CCW for you and your wife?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
From Navy Housing One-Stop....

Your effective list date for a housing application will be 30 days prior to your report date as long as you check in within 30 days of your arrival (check-in date). If you do not...it is the day you walk in the door.

That said, two things...its not like Corpus is Lebanon...Its no Beverly Hills but there are plenty of safe places to live...the Island, southside, Calallen etc...Nothing is perfect my friend...people probably got robbed in Mayberry.

Finally, a friend of mine reported here the first week of August and moved into a two bedroom on base the 18th of August. The list might not be too bad...Call the housing office and ask.

Good luck...and I'm sorry that happened to ya.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
As to Corpus, live on the island. It is not a gaurantee of "niceness" but having natural barriers works wonders for reducing crime.

True no matter where you go. Case in point: Coronado (North Island) vs. right across the bridge into SD/Barrio Logan/Nat'l City.

jtf

Hey,

sorry to hear about that, that truly is a shame. I would suggest talking to your CO and or going to the NMCR (Navy Marine Corps Relief Society) and see if they can help. Or go see the family Legal facility on base to make a case for your family.

JTF

Katie84

"I think I'm gonna like it here..."
I'm Oakley568's wife...very happy to say that we arrived Monday afternoon and were offered a house that is opening on the 18th! Now I just need to find a job on the base...