• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Waterfront property in the Spratlys? Good investment or not?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some rather unpleasant news.

WSJ NEWS EXCLUSIVE
U.S. Companies Aid China’s Bid for Chip Dominance Despite Security Concerns
Silicon Valley venture-capital firms and chip-industry giants are ramping up deals in China’s semiconductor industry, alarming U.S. officials

Do they have a choice? Or is it about money and capacity? China has proven itself to be a responsive and flexible manufacturer for many industries the past few years, to include computer chips. American companies are going to chase those extra dollars in manufacturing savings to maximize profits, how is this a surprise?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Do they have a choice? Or is it about money and capacity? China has proven itself to be a responsive and flexible manufacturer for many industries the past few years, to include computer chips. American companies are going to chase those extra dollars in manufacturing savings to maximize profits, how is this a surprise?
Not necessarily a surprise, but a mildly sad moment to recognize that few businesses are remotely aware of the global situation as their concern is on profit above all else. It needn’t go as far as some kind of “these corporations are anti-American!” but they will wonder happened to their bottom line and profit streams the day something happens between China and Taiwan.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Australia sending police and diplomats to quell protests caused by public anger over the Soloman Islands abandoning Taiwan

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this a surprise? Kinda the way a corporation works, yes?
Except when a corporation claims "values" that need to be shared by its employees and vendors or even customers, and shamelessly promote them the public. There is very little profit in that and is nearly impossible to quantify. That being the case, one might assume they would be interested in the security of the nation that guarantees the very rights that allow them to prosper. Being a good corporate citizen in this age is not like being a citizen at all.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except when a corporation claims "values" that need to be shared by its employees and vendors or even customers, and shamelessly promote them the public. There is very little profit in that and is nearly impossible to quantify. That being the case, one might assume they would be interested in the security of the nation that guarantees the very rights that allow them to prosper. Being a good corporate citizen in this age is not like being a citizen at all.
Bullshit. The corporation's values are profit maximization. Everything else is a side-hustle. Every PR move they make, however wholesome sounding, is in pursuit of this goal. Not rendering judgement, per se. Just making a statement of fact.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Bullshit. The corporation's values are profit maximization. Everything else is a side-hustle. Every PR move they make, however wholesome sounding, is in pursuit of this goal. Not rendering judgement, per se. Just making a statement of fact.

In areas that affect national security, there are limits on what corporations could and could not do. Very high end computer chips would be one of these areas that investment in foreign firms should not be allowed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In areas that affect national security, there are limits on what corporations could and could not do. Very high end computer chips would be one of these areas that investment in foreign firms should not be allowed.
There are always limits on how contractors interact w/ the USG. That does not alter their fundamental purpose of profit maximization.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not so much disagreement. I guess I did not articulate so well. Just take a look at what you find regarding "corporate citizenship". There is your bullshit. My point is that they claim to have lofty ethics, and morals. But it is all regarding cultural, justice, environmental, social issues, etc. No mention of the law or security. I agree, profit is the goal, but it is not without SOME regard for what might be called citizenship. If it wasn't, we would see far more pollution, and far less philanthropy from companies. I do disagree that it is all about a side hustle to maximize profit. Some times there is benefit to the bottom line, but often not. Public companies are made up of share holders. Many of them expect the companies the own stock in to be good citizens in the classic sense, even if it means a few coins less in their dividend check. Their are entire mutual funds that are centered around certain values. A stock holders own philanthropy is clearly not out of maximizing their households bottom dollar. I don't give to the food bank, my church, schools, and women's shelters to make money. It is impossible.

Ah, my divergence is not helping me communicate my original thought. If a company is going on about their company values, corporate citizenship, or philanthropy, it may or may not be to maximize profits. If it is, it is hard to quantify. My point is that whatever "side hustle" they chose is generally not including an interest in the security of the US or the extension of their erstwhile ethics and morality to counties they do business with.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I do disagree that it is all about a side hustle to maximize profit. Some times there is benefit to the bottom line, but often not. Public companies are made up of share holders. Many of them expect the companies the own stock in to be good citizens in the classic sense, even if it means a few coins less in their dividend check.
I disagree. Maintaining a good company reputation among the public absolutely goes toward maximizing profit. It seems like this takes a hit to the bottom line, but the company is investing in consumer trust to bolster long-term revenue. As a bonus, philanthropy helps taxes - better to spend money on directly giving it to those in need instead of giving it to Uncle Sam.

Watch a company's stock plummet if it gets associated with discrimination or criminal activity.

number9

Contributor
There was an interesting article a couple of weeks ago about concessions that Apple reportedly made to operate in China. It's not the Spratly Islands but this one stood out to me in light of this thread:

That includes a request Apple reportedly received in 2014 or 2015 about a small group of uninhabited islands that China and Japan apparently have a dispute over in terms of who owns them. Going by either the Senkaku Islands or the Diaoyu Islands, depending on which side of the argument you’re taking, they inspired a request from China to members of the Maps team to make them appear larger, even when viewers are zoomed out on the map. According to The Information, not only did Apple eventually make the change, but even today, for viewers using its map from within China, the islands are still shown at a larger scale than the territories around them.
Source.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
China’s Growing Dominance in Maritime Shipping
China’s dominance over the commercial maritime sector may be a source of vulnerability for the U.S. and other geopolitical rivals moving forward.

China is the leading manufacturer of shipping equipment, producing 96 percent of the world’s shipping containers, 80 percent of the world’s ship-to-shore cranes, and receiving 48 percent of the world’s shipbuilding orders in 2020. China boasts the world’s second largest fleet of commercial shipping vessels.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
China’s Growing Dominance in Maritime Shipping
China’s dominance over the commercial maritime sector may be a source of vulnerability for the U.S. and other geopolitical rivals moving forward.

China is the leading manufacturer of shipping equipment, producing 96 percent of the world’s shipping containers, 80 percent of the world’s ship-to-shore cranes, and receiving 48 percent of the world’s shipbuilding orders in 2020. China boasts the world’s second largest fleet of commercial shipping vessels.

There is no doubt that the US has been left in the dust with commercial ship building and in terms of our Merchant Marine. Should war come it will cost a fortune to reach an acceptable level just to meet our strategic needs. Clearly what we build will have to be like the “Liberty” models, intended for short use and quickly built.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Interesting article from the WSJ, especially in light of Speaker Pelosi’s recent visit to Taiwan.