• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Warm up routine for run - what do you do?

takern

lol the donut may actually do some good. i run xc for my college and ran all through high school and i eat pretzels before i race. but anyways, u need to do a short run before you stretch. doing those sprint workouts are great for form, if you do them right. also, like a couple of the guys said, to train for the 3 mile run, you need to do atleast 1 day where you run 7-8 miles minimum. once you get to around 5 miles comfortably you should start speed workouts, fartliks (not sure on spelling still) are great because your left leg does not get stronger than your right. try running 1 minute hard, 3 minutes easy, 2 minutes hard, 3 easy, 3 hard, 3 easy, 4 hard, 3 easy, 5 hard, 3 easy, then work back down. afterwards do a cool down run till your heart rate slows almost to normal, then stretch.

Tips of the Trade:
Being flexible actually makes you faster
Eating within 15 minutes of working out makes your muscels heal/rebuild faster
Carbs, carbs, carbs
NO GATORADE/POWERADE BEFORE YOU RUN!!!!:icon_rage:icon_rage!! the sugars will kick your butt
compression shorts help you be more relaxed, which distance is all about. Nike and Under Armor are the best (my opinion)
Always take a dump before you run. getting the squirts sucks balls
And remember, running doesnt suck, only people who cant run say it sucks

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
The Top 20 Fitness Mistakes Beginners Make

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/top-20-fitness-mistakes-beginners-make

Flexibility Flubs

10. Stretching cold muscles. Stretching before your workout puts you at risk for pulled or torn muscles. "Always stretch at the end of your workout," says Pillarella.
11. Bouncing. Bouncing during a stretch can increase your risk of straining or pulling muscles, Pillarella says. Instead, "hold a static stretch with no movement at the joints. Your body should feel lengthened but not to the point of pain."

What I am trying to point out is that the muscles need to be warmed-up before being stretched...

Back when I used to run cross-country we used to do a half mile warm up, stretch for a good amount of time, run 5-8 miles, and then cool down a quarter to a half mile. We followed that with another stretch and ice cups for the knees :icon_smil.

You should never stretch cold because you run the risk of pulling a muscle. Do a quick warm up, then stretch and then do your workout. Warm down and stretch again before you finish.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/top-20-fitness-mistakes-beginners-make

Flexibility Flubs

10. Stretching cold muscles. Stretching before your workout puts you at risk for pulled or torn muscles. "Always stretch at the end of your workout," says Pillarella.
11. Bouncing. Bouncing during a stretch can increase your risk of straining or pulling muscles, Pillarella says. Instead, "hold a static stretch with no movement at the joints. Your body should feel lengthened but not to the point of pain."

What I am trying to point out is that the muscles need to be warmed-up before being stretched...
Honestly, as a biology major, I can tell you that there really is no conclusive research done for whether or not stretching prevents injury, period, regardless of whether you do it before or after your workout.