• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wanting to enlist ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushmaster

Dear Geerst,

I am looking for some advice how to get prepared for enlistment in the Navy. I am currently waiting to become a permanent resident of the US and I have so much time in my hands. Worst thing is until I become a resident alien, which may be 6 months or a year down the road, I can not work, I can not go to school, I can not drive etc.

I would like to enlist and ultimately earn a commission after becoming a US citizen. Mainly interested in STA-21 program since I have no college. But first things first...

How should I prepare? I am going to get a ASVAB guide and study. On the other hand, how should I prepare physically? That is the question... I am sure there will be a physical fitness test but what am I supposed to do in PFT? What are the requirements?

My recruiter told me that I'd be going to Illinois for BMT, and I hear from people that they go to San Diego, are there a few Basic Training bases?

Since I want to get a pilot slot one day, and I hold a pilots license, my recruiter told me to go for an aviation job field, would that place me right on a aircraft carrier?

And my recruiter was very positive about my age (25.5 right now) that I have a chance until I am 31-32...

I always wanted to join the AF and become a F-16 pilot but now Navy really got me excited. I am looking forward to join the Navy...

PS. I have many questions about the Navy, but I think this is enough for now...

Thanks for your time...

God Bless...

John

WFU2USN

John,

First of all you'll have to be a US Citizen to apply for a commission.

As far as an ASVAB study guide - I'd talk to your recruiter about which one they recommend. It's not too difficult of a test though! :)

For Recruit Training you will go to Great Lakes, IL, which is north of Chicago. This is now the only Navy boot camp - San Diego closed in 1993 and Orlando closed in 1994.

With regard to getting on a carrier, many aviation jobs can lead you there - talk to your recruiter. You may also want to make a post at www.military.com - as there are enlisted Navy recruiters who post on the forums there.

As far as becoming a Navy Pilot...you can apply for STA-21 once you obtain your US Citizenship. So, do as well as you can once you enlist!!

Good luck & feel free to let me know if you have any questions!!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

Physical Requirements: 1.5 Mile Run, 2 minutes of Pushups, 2 minutes of Sit ups.

- PRT Req's.: http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/prttesttab.pdf

- Suggested Preparation: http://navyrotc.mit.edu/www/battalion/regs/prt/PFAworkout.stm

geerst

Bushmaster,

The preceding post is correct. I enlisted right out of high school 20 years ago, going into an enlisted aviation rating. The transition from enlisted to NFO was painless due to my familiarity with the aviation community. If you ultimately want to fly, I would also recommend you get an aviation rating.

You will need to watch the clock, as the age cut-off for pilot is 27, or 31 with 4 years of prior service, and 32 for NFO with 2 years of prior service. Going for pilot will probably not work. You are 25 now, if you get a 4-year degree without enlisting, you will be too old (29). If you enlist, do maybe one year in the Navy, get selected for STA-21, go off to college for 3-4 years, you will be close (if STA-21 gives you credit for time in service, I do not know). NFO is more realistic due to your age. Being a Naval officer, in any community, is rewarding and will serve you well in the future. You might want to consider enlisting for the education opportunites, let the time add up toward retirement, then apply for a commission once you finish college and have your citizenship. It is all good. Take care.

OPO

Bushmaster

Dear Geerst,

Thank you for your reply sir...

Do you mean a pilot's license by saying an aviation rating? I currently hold a foreign CPL/Instr. rating with 288 hours though it needs to be converted to FAA standards eventually.

You are so right, the options in the Navy are all good :) And I hear that Navy started to allow NFOs to cross-train to become pilots... That is another opportunity.

I read the STA-21 official website and found the following information.

While STA-21 will continue to provide the opportunity for Pilot designation as other URL designators, graduates of STA-21 Pilot Option will be designated solely as Student Naval Aviators (SNA) (Designator 1395).

Age: STA-21 Pilot Option candidates must be at least 19 years old and able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to age 27. Maximum age limit may be adjusted upward to age 31 with active duty or prior active duty service computed on a month-for-month basis.

Educational Requirements: Applicants must achieve a score of at least the following: AQR 3/FOFR 4/ on the Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR) and the Pilot Biographical Inventory (PBI) portions of the Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB).

If selected for STA-21 Pilot Option, eligibility must be maintained at the university in which enrolled.

Medical Standards: Applicants must complete and submit results of a Student Naval Aviator flight physical examination with cycloplegic eye refraction.

If selected for STA-21 Pilot option but later determined to be not physically qualified for aviation, STA-21 selection will be withdrawn.

The STA-21 Program will keep all participants on active duty at their current enlisted pay grade. This means they will receive all the pay, allowances, benefits, and privileges they currently enjoy and will still be eligible for enlisted advancement while in the program. In addition, the Sailors will receive up to $10,000 per year to cover tuition, books, and fees. Students in the STA-21 Program will attend school full-time year-round. All students are required to complete degree requirements in not more than 36 calendar months.

This program sounds awesome... I'll see what time brings, I sure do want to go for a pilot slot, but as you said NFO or another career is all good...

Hope to talk to you later guys, thanks ...

God Bless...

John

geerst

Bushmaster,

By aviation rating, I mean the enlisted technical specialty, such as "AT" for Aviation Electronic Technician.

OPO

Status
Not open for further replies.