• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VT-31 or VT-35?

flyfast13

I just finished primary down here in Corpus and put P-3's as my first choice for selection (finding out tomorrow). I've read some posts saying that you can talk to Richard in the wing about picking a squadron for advanced if there are spots left. I was wondering if any students who recently went through or instructed at VT-31/35 can give me some gouge on which squadron is pushing through faster, pros and cons of each platform (T-44 vs TC-12), or any other info/suggestions that could help me pick (or if it doesn't even matter). Thanks!

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I have been absent since September but I doubt things have changed much.

Check my profile for my street cred.

You can ask Richard all you want but he has seats to fill in both squadrons.

I would prefer to be a student in VT-35. More consistent flying with a more reliable aircraft and maintenance contract. Less chance of you falling through the cracks if you struggle because it is all but impossible to hide (i.e. smaller squadron).

An advantage of VT-31 would be you have a lot of time off sometimes. If your are skilled enough to handle the infrequent flying (at times) due to student load and aircraft availability, it could be a bonus.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I'm still in contacts in VT-35, the squadron is great... I can't speak to how 31 is, though I have never heard complaints.

Regarding the a/c itself:

31 - you have the chance of flying glass, which everyone loves
35 - you're flying an airplane that can go 12,500 normal 13,500 restricted and I have heard you can get a type rating out of it.

TC-12s also have longer legs we can go further on ccx and o/i. Richard gave me the choice, I picked 35.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm still in contacts in VT-35, the squadron is great... I can't speak to how 31 is, though I have never heard complaints.

35 - you're flying an airplane that can go 12,500 normal 13,500 restricted and I have heard you can get a type rating out of it.

TC-12s also have longer legs we can go further on ccx and o/i. Richard gave me the choice, I picked 35.

Does everyone in the Osprey pipeline go to VT-35?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

Types only carry weight in the civilian world. Civilian -200s don't typically fly above 12,500. You will find a few outfits that operate dual piloted but most are single piloted. Showing your logbook and NATOPS checks is all you need along with the appropriate FAA license for the type of flying you are doing i.e. Part 121 will require an ATP.

81montedriver

pilot

Not completely true. Unless something had changed, the only people flying the t-44c (glass cockpit version) are Marine studs and Navy guys going E-6B. Leftover spots go to AF studs lucky enough to get them. Everyone else flies the A. I

I was in VT-31 and all I can remember was studs and IP's complaining about how shitty the maintenance contract was. Towards the end of my training, we were lucky if we had 4 planes up TOTAL for the day.

If you select Osprey's, then you will go to VT-35. All of the Marine IP's at -35 are Osprey guys or -46 guys getting some FW time to transition to the Osprey. I am sure you will get great training out of either squadron.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Types only carry weight in the civilian world. Civilian -200s don't typically fly above 12,500. You will find a few outfits that operate dual piloted but most are single piloted. Showing your logbook and NATOPS checks is all you need along with the appropriate FAA license for the type of flying you are doing i.e. Part 121 will require an ATP.

Granted a type rating is only valuable in civilian flying, but am I wrong in saying that all other things being equal flying a TC-12 will get you a civilian type rating and the T-44 will not?

Genuine question, I dont really know much / understand the intricacies of why some a/c have type ratings and others do not...

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Non E-6 Navy guys and non Marines (aka Navy P-3 guys) can get the Charlie model, too if spots are available. Typically those with the higher NSS will get the first stab at them.

Python

pilot
Contributor
From what I remember, the BE200 type rating does not exist. Since in the civilian world type ratings are only required for gross weights of greater than 12,500 pounds or turbojet aircraft. Somebody correct me if things have changed.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
VT-35. C-12s are money, type rating is useless, and it was a smaller squadron so everyone knew you. If they could move VT-35 out of the taint of texas (corpus), it would be so money.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I know I've read on here multiple times that the type rating isn't worth very much in reality. Any of the winged dudes care to weigh in?