• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Voluntary Termination of flight status

Bucs1617

pilot
Ladies and gents,

Question about VOLTERM. Currently going through some family hardship and I'm looking at options, the last one available being VOLTERM. If it came down to having to do it, would I have to fulfill my aviation commitment? I have spoken to 2 different Gents that did it, and they both only owed 2 years to the MC after their new MOS school. Those 2 years superseded their aviation contract and both got out earlier than their original aviation EAS. Only problem is, they both did it a few years back so I'm not sure if that has changed. Anyone knows what the answer is? Also, anyone know the process? This is obviously not something I want to do, but if I have no other option it might be the only thing available. Thank you in advance.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Not sure about the contract issue but at the very worst in terms of time you will be required to serve out your flight contract in a new MOS. Be prepared to explain your rationale all the way up to whatever MAW CG you currently fall under. I have known quite a few skid guys do this over the last 5-6 years. The process has become more high vis due to the number of folks who have done this and the exodus of pilots currently underway from the Marines.

I would also not be surprised if you asked for IA orders to MAW or a MAG for a year that your local PSD or monitor could work with you if it's something relatively short term.

Bucs1617

pilot
Thanks for the answer man. Yeah I understand I'll have to explain everything. Unfortunately this situation might not get resolved in the next 2-3 years. I'm still looking at my options, so hopefully it won't have to come down to that. If anyone else has any info on everything please feel free to give your inputs. Thanks!

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Some thoughts:

- The environment for this is extremely toxic right now.
- There aren't any orders which really spell it out in detail, which I think means that the personalities involved get to decide
- Everyone will tell you to "look at the order" but the order doesn't really have any details, just generics
- Where are you in your career? FRS, B billet, etc? How much longer on contract?
- If you do the volterm, don't say a damn thing to anyone about contract length. Unless you are a post B-billet Captain it won't get any longer. Giving anyone the impression that you are trying to get out of an aviation contract is like pouring blood into the water with to a group of sharks schooling.
- After everything goes through, very calmly and quietly have someone check MCTIMS so see what your new EAS is.
- Once you no longer have a 75XX MOS, and have PCS'd somewhere, you can raise whatever stink you want to get your dates changed or ask to get out early